Look tool simultaneously using voice and data is part of multitasking. And definitely not part of Verizon multitasking.
    Whoa bro, you mad? No need for name-calling; I was merely pointing out the error of your statement, where you state that you cannot multitask on Verizon, which is incorrect. Maybe for you, on AT&T, it's PART of your multitasking experience, but for those of us already on Verizon, it is not. Why do you care so much? You're obviously on AT&T, why do you care about the Verizon Iphone enough to come into these forums to dis it? You're not even faced with the issue, so why are you complaining?
    01-14-2011 01:50 AM
    Man this is crazy why does everyone talk crap about this if you need it stick with Att but for me and alot of people we don't need it at all times and most of the times I need it I have wifi so it's a non issue. And before you judge me I've been on all 4 us carriers and a few in Europe. Give me the service were I need it
    01-14-2011 02:24 AM
    Heh heh; try posting that again while talking on your iPhone 4 on the oldest cellular platform in the world (in case you weren't aware, Europe officially adopted GSM to replace the antiquated CDMA mobile protocol, . . . over 9+ years ago!)
    Easy. I'd talk on my CDMA iPhone while using my laptop, with the data connection I have on my laptop that doesn't involve my iPhone because that's important to me.... Viola. Simultaneous voice and data.

haters gotta hate...
    01-14-2011 09:03 AM
    BS stop being in denial this is a big deal. And if you never had it before how in the world can you judge it? Verizon 3G speeds is slower and the fact you can't multitask is a big deal period. Look at the current poll most AT&T users are staying. I can see the ones switching that are in terrible areas. No one will switch for an inferior phone. And we love to multitask, alot of people use it they just dont realize it.
    I can multitask easily. I can talk on my CDMA phone, and use my laptop, with it's own data solution because that's a big deal to me.... when you try and make one device the jack of all trades, it is a master of none.

The one in denial is you. The discussion was brought up by me in the first place to quell a lot of the AT&T people hating on this new phone, because it, and Verizon are "inferior". They're not. Just different. And I pointed out in the original post, that the power users already likely have data solutions that meet their needs without "simultaneous voice and data" on their phones. And it works just fine for them. The other reason I brought this up was to be a caveat emptor for AT&T customers thinking of switching. Better to know something ahead of time,, and be able to make an informed decision.
    01-14-2011 09:11 AM
    I can multitask easily. I can talk on my CDMA phone, and use my laptop, with it's own data solution because that's a big deal to me.... when you try and make one device the jack of all trades, it is a master of none.

The one in denial is you. The discussion was brought up by me in the first place to quell a lot of the AT&T people hating on this new phone, because it, and Verizon are "inferior". They're not. Just different. And I pointed out in the original post, that the power users already likely have data solutions that meet their needs without "simultaneous voice and data" on their phones. And it works just fine for them. The other reason I brought this up was to be a caveat emptor for AT&T customers thinking of switching. Better to know something ahead of time,, and be able to make an informed decision.
    Unfortunately, what you say is true. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, do something about it. But there's no need for the haters to hate like they do.

I am very happy with AT&T, no coverage issues for me, and I don't think I've dropped more than a dozen calls in 7+ years with AT&T. That works for ME. What works for may be the same, or it may be different.

If you've neve had a feature, and therefore never used it, yet managed to "get by" this long, odds are that you don't need that feature.

Your point about the "heads up" for AT&T customers considering switching is definitely a good one... had no one mentioned it, they'd be crying in their beer when they discovered the "missing" feature... but the bottom line is you have to go with what works for you...

Thanks for your insight.
    01-14-2011 09:28 AM
    Ok I was out line. My point is that for us AT&T users it is a big deal and an awesome feature. I understand if you have been with big red it is not a big deal. At the end this move benefit us all. Competition is good. Cheers!
    01-14-2011 10:12 AM
    I love the simultaneous voice/data, after being with big red a year or so ago and having it now, no way I could go back lol
    01-14-2011 11:54 AM
    I can't tell you how many times I was on the iPhone driving and needed to look for a destination (AroundMe) during a call. Question...Will you be able to use voice and a navigation app on Verizon at the same time???
    01-14-2011 12:05 PM
    Thank you so much for the information.
    01-14-2011 01:18 PM
    I can't tell you how many times I was on the iPhone driving and needed to look for a destination (AroundMe) during a call. Question...Will you be able to use voice and a navigation app on Verizon at the same time???
    Nope navigation apps use data, and therefore you can't use them while on the phone.
    01-14-2011 09:56 PM
    Nope navigation apps use data, and therefore you can't use them while on the phone.
    You sure about that? Nav Apps that download maps as you drive use data for sure. But there are Nav Apps that install all the needed maps when you buy them. Navigon and a few others do as well... they also take up a bunch of your phone's storage as well, 1GB+

If the maps are preinstalled, then I see no need for the phone to use data to navigate, you would only need the phone's GPS to work.
    01-15-2011 08:59 AM
    I have a question, if you are on Verizon and you are with someone else with their mobile hotspot turned on will you be able to talk and surf while on their connection? I would think yes.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-15-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    01-15-2011 11:26 AM
    I often find myself googling something on while on a call "Bluetooth Headset" ... I would miss the feature.
    01-15-2011 12:43 PM
    The type of user that frequents a message board such as this one is most likely not your average user. We would be more inclined to use voice and data at the same time. That being said, those of us on Verizon will find it a non-issue. We already have alternate methods. Wifi anyone?

I'd rather have Verizon's solid service than a phone with AT&T that i may not actually be able to use as a phone.
    01-15-2011 01:53 PM
    simultaneous voice & data never mattered to me. if you are an existing verizon customer, you never had it so how can you miss something you never had. it is a great feature to have though.
    01-15-2011 02:07 PM
    I'd rather have Verizon's solid service than a phone with AT&T that i may not actually be able to use as a phone.
    I understand what you are trying to say... but you have to realize that there are some areas where AT&T's service is actually very good/solid/reliable. I happen to live in one of them.
    01-15-2011 02:21 PM
    I agree with HankAZ. At my work only AT&T and Tmo get reception inside the building. Therefore, i have no choice. Verizon simply searches for signal all day and drains the battery. I came from Verizon. One would think that coming from Verizon that they wouldn't use simultaneous data and voice, but once you have that option you quickly realize that you can utilize it. I use this ability on a daily basis, particularly navigation (NAVIGON) and talking over bluetooth in my car. If you don't have it now, and have never had it, then maybe you will never know what you are missing. It will be like your soon to be iPhone addiction.....trust me if you haven't owned an iPhone you are in for a treat!
    01-15-2011 02:29 PM
    @scholz22.... i thought Navigon installs all the maps it needs on your phone, therefore having a data connection to retrieve maps-as-you-go is not necessary, only your phone's GPS.

Am I mistaken?
    01-15-2011 02:32 PM
    If you don't have data it goes into simulation mode. You need data to have it fully functional.
    01-15-2011 02:40 PM
    If you don't have data it goes into simulation mode. You need data to have it fully functional.
    That doesnt make sense, but oh well. I would hate to rely on a GPS that depends on a cell data connection. Luckily I have my Nuvi.

Thanks for the info.
    01-15-2011 02:46 PM
    Luckily I have my Nuvi.
    Dittos. What I'd really like is a Nuvi that could bluetooth/wifi and share my phone's data connection and get real-time traffic, weather on the Nuvi and leave the phone free for what it does best.
    01-15-2011 02:57 PM
    Those of you on Verizon keep saying how can you miss somehing you never had. The point is when someone with a Verizon iPhone tries to do it because their friend or whoever has an iPhone on AT&T do it all the time how do you explain to them why the same phone can do it on AT&T but not on Verizon?
    Entertainment72 likes this.
    01-15-2011 03:04 PM
    How does a Verizon Droid user explain it to an AT&T Droid or iPhone user? Same problem. It's the way it is.
    01-15-2011 03:13 PM
    I would love to do it. I have lived without for this long. I have waited to get my VerIphone. I'll live with it until LTE.
    01-15-2011 03:18 PM
    The type of user that frequents a message board such as this one is most likely not your average user. We would be more inclined to use voice and data at the same time. That being said, those of us on Verizon will find it a non-issue. We already have alternate methods. Wifi anyone?

I disagree, my wife, sister, her son and their father don't even know what forums are and use the simultaneous voice and data much more than I do. The not being able to use the phone part on AT&T is soooooo blown out of proportion by Verizon users that it's downright criminal.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    01-15-2011 05:33 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD