I'd personally wouldn't care. I mean I don't really use my phone as a phone much. 95% of the time its for data on the go. The whole voice and data thing was never much a problem untill the iPhone came out and Apple made it such a big deal, that now it seems everyone must have it.
    01-12-2011 07:44 AM
    I really don't understand the need to surf the web on a phone call. I had the ability when I was on tmobile and never really used it. Since I have been on Verizon, I have never needed it so I don't see it being an issue in the future.
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    01-12-2011 08:33 AM
    You guys miss one point, we're not talking about long time, tech knowledgable people. We are talking general masses who don't even know the difference between CDMA and GSM. All they're gonna know is their friend on AT&T can do it so how come I can't? It's also not a case of needing to use it it's a case of not having it, this is a human trait, just like MMS there was a witch hunt because there was no MMS and now that it's there who really uses it? So to you it's not a big deal but what about joe schmo who leaves AT&T because VZ is the iPhone on a better network then damn he realizes he can't look up driving directions, restaurant info, etc while he's on the phone with his girlfriend?
    That is what I think will happen! I was a long time Sprint user and often said "I don't really need/use voice and data at he same time." I'll say this. Once you start using it, you'll wonder what you ever did without it.

IMVHO, If you are already on VZ you will not notice. If you switch from AT&T to VZ you will notice and it may be an issue for you.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    01-12-2011 09:03 AM
    I assume you have it on speaker for the whole world to hear.
    01-12-2011 09:43 AM
    IMVHO, If you are already on VZ you will not notice. If you switch from AT&T to VZ you will notice and it may be an issue for you.
    Bingo. Caveat Emptor.

I just hope Verizon reps will set the proper expectations to avoid problems later. I'm confident they'll hear this in training, but sadly, it won't sink in for a lot of them.
    01-12-2011 11:51 AM
    When I first switched from ATT to VZW I did miss being able to use voice and data. But I have been with VZW for 2 years now and I don't miss it at all. I don't think it will be an issue for me with the vzw iphone either.
    01-12-2011 12:09 PM
    I on the other hand never use SMS to talk to anyone I actually know. I find it so inpersonal. I prefer voice because feelings, opinions, sarcasm, etc get communicated so much clearly.
    Thats what smilies and emoticons are for.....
    Ipheuria and shipwrestler125 like this.
    01-12-2011 12:19 PM
    being on VZ forever it's all I know, so when it does become available I probably won't even care anyway.
    01-12-2011 12:35 PM
    Ok question! Can you get a text while on a voice call? Like if I'm on the phone for an hour and the wife sends a txt to pick up milk before I get home.
    01-12-2011 06:08 PM
    Ok question! Can you get a text while on a voice call? Like if I'm on the phone for an hour and the wife sends a txt to pick up milk before I get home.
    Excellent question I would also like to know that
    01-12-2011 06:17 PM
    yes you will get the text
    01-12-2011 06:20 PM
    Ok I don't know if a text is different then a bbm, but this am I sent my wife a bbm and she didn't get it till 45 minutes later when she hung up. I actually had to (gasp) call her!
    Last edited by LooNTooNs; 01-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    01-13-2011 12:56 PM
    Yes you can send and receive text while on a call.
    01-13-2011 12:58 PM
    Bbm is data text is not. If you have been on VZW why care. If you don't like it stick with Att. Though its not that big of an issue with me
    01-13-2011 01:00 PM
    Same is true for an MMS, it will not be received while on a phone call, nor will it be sent if you're on a CDMA network
    01-13-2011 01:17 PM
    I am not scared or going to cry that I won't receive mail or can't go on my web with my phone facing my mouth like a walkie-talkie. Never have cared to do that, and I can wait for those things to come through. I guess we all have to be a little bit more patient. Even mail and web. lol. Not an issue for me. I do find it annoying that AT&T using only the iPhone on Verizon to bash the network---hello, it's all Verizon phones. Shows how low AT&T will go to 'attack' the BEST network. Hey AT&T--don't be jelly!! Muahahahahaha!!!! Would you rather cry over not getting any signal or not receiving email/web during a 10 minute call? lol.
    01-13-2011 05:42 PM
    will we be able to used facetime on 3g
    01-13-2011 05:47 PM
    will we be able to used facetime on 3g
    Stock No, Jailbreak Yes.
    01-13-2011 05:56 PM
    I notice a lot of Verizon/Sprint users saying, "who needs it", but when it comes down to it, they would being using it more than they thought.

I had at&t 2G (edge) blackberry devices while they had 3G offerings from other companies (before the iPhone came out) and I felt it wasn't that important until I got my wishes granted with the 3G iPhone and BlackBerry Bold. It's great to be on the phone and still able to check your work/personal email, facebook, twitter and all other datacentric apps. I can be on the phone with my girl and check out a movie in the Flixster app while she's still on the phone and then also find a restaurant near just in case we wanted to eat before going to the movies or after.

It's not always NEEDED, but it definitely would be used a lot more than people think.

Edit: As a manager for AT&T, if I was on a conference call on my BlackBerry for an extended period of time, usually an hour or more, as soon as I ended the call, it would be non-stop vibrations for incoming emails and from other apps that use data.
    01-13-2011 06:04 PM
    I notice a lot of Verizon/Sprint users saying, "who needs it", but when it comes down to it, they would being using it more than they thought.

(snip)

It's not always NEEDED, but it definitely would be used a lot more than people think.
    Maybe. All I'm saying is for Verizon folks, they're not going to "miss" something they don't have, and still won't with the new iPhone... and those people who have a CDMA smart phone that truly need the always available data don't rely on their smart phones for it - they have other resources to fill that need... and who knows, the CDMA Development group is working on the fix for this, it's supposed to be out any time now - and hopefully, it won't be a big deal to deploy - and they do deploy, and make this whole "argument" moot.
    01-13-2011 06:58 PM
    To anyone that thinks this is a big deal/deal breaker:

Current CDMA smartphone users do not have this ability now - so, for them, it's much ado over nothing. And for those people who have CDMA smartphones and also need an always available data connection - they have and use data solutions that are not centered on their smartphone.

There are plenty of Verizon users, like myself, that have grown tired of their current device, (mine a BB Tour) and are unimpressed by any of the Droid offerings... we will now have another choice besides Palm, or a Windblows phone

Just sayin'.
    Heh heh; try posting that again while talking on your iPhone 4 on the oldest cellular platform in the world (in case you weren't aware, Europe officially adopted GSM to replace the antiquated CDMA mobile protocol, . . . over 9+ years ago!)
    01-13-2011 11:41 PM
    BS stop being in denial this is a big deal. And if you never had it before how in the world can you judge it? Verizon 3G speeds is slower and the fact you can't multitask is a big deal period. Look at the current poll most AT&T users are staying. I can see the ones switching that are in terrible areas. No one will switch for an inferior phone. And we love to multitask, alot of people use it they just dont realize it.
    01-14-2011 12:10 AM
    For me, it's not a big deal either. Actually, it's not a problem at all because I rarely use my phone as a phone anymore. The only people I call are family nowadays, and that's when I'm sitting at home on the couch. Last month I used 14 minutes. Heh. So for me, a senior in college, it's not a big deal at all. Texting is faster, more efficient and stored on the device for access later.

And to the people trying to force GSM down our throats *cough cough post above* let me ask you: what good is GSM if there's none in your area? This is certainly a case of quantity over quality. Most of the time, my BlackBerry Tour, on VZW, is a more efficient device than my friends' because they hit so many dead zones. Trust me, if AT&T were functional in my area, I'd have switched long ago but it's not. In my hometown there's no signal, where I attend school has overcrowded towers. Can't win.

To each his own, but for me, the Verizon iPhone is my best option, with or without data during calls
    01-14-2011 12:16 AM
    BS stop being in denial this is a big deal. And if you never had it before how in the world can you judge it? Verizon 3G speeds is slower and the fact you can't multitask is a big deal period. Look at the current poll most AT&T users are staying. I can see the ones switching that are in terrible areas. No one will switch for an inferior phone. And we love to multitask, alot of people use it they just dont realize it.
    Where on earth did you get the opinion you cannot multitask on Verizon? You can, and quite well I might add you just can't bug out on the person on the phone who's apparently not important enough for you to actually pay attention to them, and must do something else

It's only a big deal to the people who've had it; those of us who have never had it don't need it. Period.
    01-14-2011 12:18 AM
    Edited post
    01-14-2011 01:41 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD