Get Now or Wait?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So what about this. Who is going to get one now and who is going to wait and see if anything is released this summer (new version)?

Verizon Wireless’ 2011 LTE city roll out leaked? | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Check that - if you're in one of those markets, it might be worth considering a wait and see if there's a 4G/LTE iPhone in the works. Might be worth the wait.

Meanwhile, I'm reasonably confident that by the time a 4G/LTE iPhone is out, and Verizon deploys 4G/LTE in my market, I'll be eligible for my next upgrade after getting an iPhone 10-Feb. :)

titansjonne#WN

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
No poenix Arizona. Just another reason why i'll wait. NExt years phone lineup wil be better with more refined dual core additions. Don't mind waiting.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No poenix Arizona. Just another reason why i'll wait. NExt years phone lineup wil be better with more refined dual core additions. Don't mind waiting.

Phoenix has 4G/LTE already from the initial roll-out done late last year.

mg911

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Im not waiting, going to pre order on the 3rd. And maybe upgrade if the iphone5 comes out. I really dont care about 4g. Im curious, why does everyone want 4g/lte so bad. Is there something that you couldnt do with 3g? b/c i never had any problems with 3g being slow on droid...

rickyb92

May 23, 2010
Visit site
i still have the very first droid. and besides the design factor, gets more & better updates than some of the most recent android phones. i plan on getting out of my current contract for the iPhone 4. i can't wait til the summer. plus, nobody knows exactly if verizon will be getting the iPhone 5

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just wild speculation on my part... I think the next Verizon iPhone will be a 4G/LTE device, and will be available sometime 12 -20 months from now. 20 months from now is when folks who buy now on contract will be eligible to start upgrading. :)

naeubanks

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i still have the very first droid. and besides the design factor, gets more & better updates than some of the most recent android phones. i plan on getting out of my current contract for the iPhone 4. i can't wait til the summer. plus, nobody knows exactly if verizon will be getting the iPhone 5

I too have the original droid and as far as I'm concerned it's still the best smartphone on verizon until the iPhone 4 comes out next month. I'm signing up on day one for an upgrade to the iPhone and although the tech geek inside me says to wait until summer to see if the iPhone 5 works on Verizon, my gut tells me that the iPhone release this summer will be an iPhone 4S or maybe a 4G(HSPA+ for AT&T) followed by a 2012 iPhone with LTE at which time I will be happy to upgrade and have enjoyed my iPhone 4 for a whole year.

My (Reasonable) Predictions:
Summer 2011: iPhone 4S(maybe 4G if HSPA+/GSM) released with:
* PowerVGR543 graphics (a nice upgrade but not really(applicably) significant comparing to the iPhone 4's)
* A small bump in RAM (probably 768MB)
* Probably will still have the Apple A4 (dual core is unlikely because honestly it's not necessary yet on a phone as the tech is still very young and would come with significant battery drain)
* 8 MP camera using the same amazing sensors as the iPhone 4
* 32 and 64 GB options (maybe even a 16 GB but that may reserved for the then-legacy iPhone 4)
* Maybe NFC technology (unlikely)

As far as Verizon iPhone predications, those same features could be released on a CDMA/LTE edition early 2012 or Apple could wait until Summer 2012 to release the iPhone 5 with LTE that is compatible with AT&T and Verizon.

titansjonne#WN

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What i read was the new verizon iphone has a different antenna style. So there wont be a deathgrip. Maybe apple plans on releasing that same phone on at&t and just add something else to it. Then next year, give both networks the 4g capable iphone 5.

cehogan483

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
2 Cents

I think that the truth will come out in June and that it will be a mixture of things being posted.

I think that an iPhone 5 is going to be released in June 2011 and that it will be minor upgrades (the biggest likely being a fix to the antenna issue). It will be available on Verizon and AT&T but since it will be minor, those of us buying an iPhone 4 on Verizon in February won't feel shafted.

However, at the same time, I think that Verizon will offer some sort of special discount to those who purchased the 4 and want the 5 when it releases. I find hard to believe that Verizon would be okay with upsetting so many of its customers by not being accomodating.

Based on my experiences with Verizon, they are a lot more flexible with phone pricing then they make it sound. I have found that as long as you are willing to agree to another 2 years from the date you purchase the new phone, they are willing to give the discounted pricing.

I am going to be buying an iPhone 4 on February 3rd when it goes on special pre-order to Verizon customers and on February 10th the world will be a better place with the Verizon iPhone! :)

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Im willing to bet the farm that there won't be a new lte iphone this year. If there was, then Verizon would have waited to release the iphone.

Agreed, I don't see Verizon getting two versions of the iPhone released in the same year. Only time will tell.

Scout_313

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Since LTE won't even be rolled out in my area for a while, I'm just going to pick up the iPhone 4 as soon as it's released. It is definitely fast enough to handle everything that I do with the CDMA connection, plus since I'm paying full retail, I'll have 2 upgrades available by July so that I can upgrade whenever I want.

WyckedAnkh

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm going to get one right away. The iPhone 4 isn't really outdated, I mean AT&T is still selling the 3GS. If I use my upgrade now or come summer time when the new one is released, I'm buying one full retail so I am going to try to save some money now and pay full retail at the end of summer.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and don't fell like leaving to get the same phone. Now in June/July when the new iPhone comes out I was planning on upgrading. If the same phone is available on Verizon I'll switch so my wife and I can be on the same network.

My wife however can not get AT&T reception at her work so she needs Verizon. She currently has the Droid 2 but is on a 1 year contract that ends in June. I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade her. If I do it will mostly likely be for the full retail price so that way I could sell her Droid 2 and get some of the money back.

I would hate to spend $600 only to find out that a new iPhone with LTE came out 4+ months later. So I'm really not sure. Right now I say wait for me and probably wait for her but we'll see if I feel that way on the 3rd.

titansjonne#WN

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I feel im making the right choice by getting the iphone now. Whatever iphone comes out in summer will not be anything special. So i'll keep the 4g then use my upgrade next year when im sure Apple will have a new design and even better iphone available that will utilize 4g.

titansjonne#WN

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning towards one but I love the feel of real qwerty phones. Anyone else gone from qwerty keypad to touchscreen? Opinions?

Ive had them all. Qwerty, full touchscreen. Touschreen with full qwerty. Imo it's not so hard. For starters, it depends what your last qwert phone was. I had a blackberry bold, which is a portrait qwerty. So on my droid incredible, i use the keyboard in portrait only.

Hangfire

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting it now! My wife's line is available for an upgrade and she could care less about a new phone. :) Also, my line is available for an upgrade in July so even if there is a new one out by then, I'll be upgrade ready!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2