The announcement by Verizon that, starting January 16th, all VZW customers with the NE2 plan MUST wait 20 months to upgrade at the discount makes me believe the early upgrade isn't possible But who knows maybe I'm wrong (and I sure hope I am!)
    As of right now my contract is over June 6, 2011. I am in the same boat, but I am the primary line so I habe the ability to early upgrade. So I emailed Verizon the other day, here is my email:

This question is in regards to your new 2 year policy as seen here:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/sites/...n-upgrades.PNG
    With the recent announcements of the Verizon iPhone , Verizon Finally Lands the iPhone - WSJ.com, it seems that this new policy of not being able to upgrade between the months of 13 and 20 will be an issue for many people much like myself. I have 5 months remaining on my phone. If the "rumors" are true and the iPhone comes out for Verizon the last weekend of the month, AppleInsider | Apple restricting employee vacations as first 2011 products loom , this will be after the new policy date of January 16. Does this mean I can't upgrade to a new phone until February 6th? When i am in month 20? This does not seem very fair to those who have a primary line and have the ability to early upgrade. And we know a product this big will be sold out in a matter of days.
    I have been a long time customer of Verizon, but the new changes seem to punish the customer due to the fact they have a 2 year contract. It seems that I would have to wait longer than I should due to a new policy that was entered after the beginning of my current contract. This also leads me to believe that a 1 year contract would be ideal.
    Please clarify the new policy and how it will affect me and my upgrade.
    Thank you for you help,

Verizon replied in 24 hours with this:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our Website, my name is Keith. I will be happy to assist you with your questions regarding our upgrade policy.

Mr. XXXXX, at this time we have not been provided any information regarding the upgrade policy. I will be unable to address your questions prior to being provided additional information (this will be later this week). At this time it is unclear as to if the policy will be going forward from the 16th or in regards to all accounts starting on the 16th. The annual upgrade promotion was a added benefit that we provided to customers.

To upgrade your phone or make changes on your account, please visit our website at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless.

I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today by providing you with information regarding our upgrade policy. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Keith
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service

So I hope its for new people and people like me will be grandfathered in.
    01-11-2011 01:19 PM
    I just got my X in August or September (sorry can't remember), and I don't think I am dishing out $600 for one outside of my contract. :-( I have wanted this phone for way too long, so I am excited! However, I also want to see about the next version. I would hate to pay all that now and in 5 or 6 months a new one is released.
    01-11-2011 01:43 PM
    I just got my X in August or September (sorry can't remember), and I don't think I am dishing out $600 for one outside of my contract. :-( I have wanted this phone for way too long, so I am excited! However, I also want to see about the next version. I would hate to pay all that now and in 5 or 6 months a new one is released.
    I'm in the "same boat" as you . . I'm sure alot of people are facing same issue. I'm not due for replacement until October, but I WANT MY iPhone NOW!!!! I just may have to pi$$ off the wife and spend $700.00 bucks for one
    01-11-2011 01:55 PM
    I'm out of contract with my BB Tour.... so I'm going to get one. The area I live in will get Verizon LTE/4G by the time I'll be eligible for my next upgrade.
    01-11-2011 02:00 PM
    I'm in the "same boat" as you . . I'm sure alot of people are facing same issue. I'm not due for replacement until October, but I WANT MY iPhone NOW!!!! I just may have to pi$$ off the wife and spend $700.00 bucks for one
    Me too...
    01-11-2011 02:20 PM
    I have a feeling the 5 will not be available on Big Red this summer when att releases or you will have a lot of upset people who just signed new 2 year contracts. I bet the take care of GSM first and CDMA will come later
    01-11-2011 02:35 PM
    My guess is the next Verizon iPhone will be a 4G/LTE device.
    01-11-2011 02:39 PM
    The area I live in will get Verizon LTE/4G by the time I'll be eligible for my next upgrade.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that Apple will be ready for LTE/4G by then... but it's always good to be ahead of the curve.
    01-11-2011 02:39 PM
    I'm a little confused. According to my Verizon Account, I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May. However, when I go to Apple's webpage to see if I'm eligible for it, it says I can purchase it for the discount price. Also, I tried ordering a random Droid on Verizon's Website, and it offered it to me for the discounted price as well. Hopefully that means I can upgrade early.
    01-11-2011 02:54 PM
    It really does suck that there's a new limbo for Apple Customers to get stuck in again. For a long time (YEARS) many people held off on getting an ATT iPhone because "Verizon is just around the corner". And now that its finally here then the big question of whether or not we'll get a Verizon iPhone 5 is something we should wait for.

My feeling is that the iPhone 5 is going to be an incremental upgrade like the 3G to 3GS so Verizon may skip the iPhone 5 and everything will sync up again in Jun 2012 for the iPhone VI.
    01-11-2011 03:08 PM
    We are buying it here right away its exciting to see what VZ is capable of
    01-11-2011 03:33 PM
    I'd wait until it has been announced/set in stone.. Better to be safe than sorry!
    01-11-2011 03:43 PM
    Am I getting it? Hell no.

Before nov 27, the 32gb will cost me $700... Afterwards, it will be $300.
    So by way of price, I'll wait. Which is not a bad thing- now I can wait for the iphone 5. But I hope the iPhone 5 is not lte... It's not fully rolled out, more expensive, and I'm fine with the cdma performance.
    01-11-2011 03:49 PM
    Yes, I am getting one. ASAP. Can't wait.
    01-11-2011 05:57 PM
    I am definitely anxious to get one but I'm torn between getting one now and waiting til the summer. I don't want to wait til the summer only to find out that it's the iPhone 4S or something.
    01-11-2011 06:19 PM
    I am going to wait for iPhone 5. My AT&T contract isn't up until October.
    01-11-2011 06:58 PM
    I hope the iPhone 5 isn't LTE.

Yes it's fast, but it's not fully deployed yet and I don't want to pay extra for something that is still not fully deployed and with a data cap. I'm cool with CDMA for the next year or two.
    01-11-2011 08:21 PM
    I waited in anticipation for this iPhone on the Verizon network. Everything was good until I found out it was running on 3g and not the 4g that was launched in Dec., so I'm gonna hold out a lil while longer because I know it's coming.
    01-11-2011 09:58 PM
    I'm going to go with the iPhone 4. When the iPhone 5 is available I'll use my wife's upgrade if I like it. I have waited long enough.
    01-11-2011 10:22 PM
    I waited in anticipation for this iPhone on the Verizon network. Everything was good until I found out it was running on 3g and not the 4g that was launched in Dec., so I'm gonna hold out a lil while longer because I know it's coming.
    Just a thought but why would you want to pay for a phone and plan for a 4G service that is still in the beginning stages of development? You are much better off waiting till 4G has lots of coverage than paying for 4G service which you can't get but very few places. I live in Ohio and have to be in the Cleveland or columbus area to even get that right now.
    01-11-2011 10:25 PM
    I'm going to go with the iPhone 4. When the iPhone 5 is available I'll use my wife's upgrade if I like it. I have waited long enough.
    Agreed!
    01-11-2011 10:26 PM
    Get it now then sell on eBay when i5 comes out. At most you'll spend what the normal upgrade pricing is. I've done it with every release. Can't go wrong.
    01-11-2011 10:58 PM
    I have a feeling that since they are launching a new phone that is an older model if they release a new model they will have some sort of promotion going on that will allow them to upgrade. Well, it doesnt matter too much because im an avid early adopter and if I want it... it will just cost me.
    01-12-2011 05:12 AM
    I hope the iPhone 5 isn't LTE.

Yes it's fast, but it's not fully deployed yet and I don't want to pay extra for something that is still not fully deployed and with a data cap. I'm cool with CDMA for the next year or two.
    Whos to say it will be in your area by the n, or will be improved.

I agree with you on the data cap though. I'd rather have Verizon and LTE, then what the T-mobile in the UK is doing
    01-12-2011 07:52 AM
    Is there an announced date for this Apple Event in June/July or are we all getting our hopes up and banking on there being an iPhone 5 released?
    01-12-2011 08:43 AM
130 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD