After updating my 3G, I have my old set of ringtones that show up in iTunes on the phone when the iPhone is attached to the Mac and I can play them there.
    But I can't change any of my contacts custom ringtone to anything but 1 of the 6 that exist.
    They are all .m4r.
    If I try to "sync" the ringtones, I get a warning about deleting all other media on the phone.
    Don't really want to go thru putting media back on it.
    Is there a way around this?
    01-06-2011 10:25 AM
    Are you using the same account you were using before the update on the iPhone? Are other things able to move from iTunes to iPhone (IE: Apps?). Sounds like a account conflict if it's telling you it's going to erase anything, because that is the typical response for a device that is not associated with an account and has to be setup to use said accounts DL's and purchased items.
    01-06-2011 10:36 AM
    But I can't change any of my contacts custom ringtone to anything but 1 of the 6 that exist.
    Are you talking about SMS tones or ringtones? There should be more than 6 ringtones. If you used to be jailbroken and recently updated, you can't have custom SMS on a 3G without jailbreaking again.
    01-06-2011 11:13 AM
    Same account.
    Ringtones. "Custom" ringtones. The "default" apple lot are all fine.
    Not now or ever jailbroken.
    01-06-2011 11:33 AM
    Delete ringtones off of iTunes but keep backup files...resync them fresh into iTunes and try. That would be my only suggestion at this point.
    01-06-2011 12:40 PM
    nope that didn't do it. Guess I go the long way
    01-08-2011 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD