My son's 3G took a plunge yesterday morn and won't come on. He's put it in rice for a little over 24 hrs.

His main concern is his contacts, he didn't have the box checked to sync with google or any of the other clients.

Does it still save to the computer in itunes or is he SOL?? I told him just a few weeks ago that he needed to do a google sync just in case something happened, but you know how kids are...

Do you think his contacts are saved or not? Looks like he's gonna get an IP4 today.

Thanks for any help.
    01-02-2011 02:45 PM
    It will only sync contacts if you enable it in iTunes. By default, no, it doesn't. Your kid has to learn the hard way.
    01-02-2011 03:07 PM
    I know this is a little off topic, but I think Apple needs to take a page from Google in this aspect. With Android, your Google ID saves your contacts with Google, so you can just use the same Google ID on a new phone, and POOF, there are your contacts.

Apple could easily do it by just tying in the Apple ID.

Just my 2 cents.
    01-02-2011 03:38 PM
    Well, he got a new phone a few minutes ago. He's headed home to see if he actually does have his contacts on itunes. The sales rep said he probably did. We'll see.

Either way, he's learned his lesson about backups.
    01-02-2011 04:28 PM
    Contacts were there!! He says he will backup tonight.

Lesson learned.
    01-02-2011 04:59 PM
    Damn, I was hoping they wouldn't be there for a even bigger lesson. But hey...the end result is the end result. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    01-02-2011 05:01 PM
    I'm glad they were. He had about 200 contacts he said.

He still was sweating a little.
    01-02-2011 05:06 PM
    They should be in the back up file from the old phone. Lifesaver for my daughter too.
    01-02-2011 06:03 PM
    Tell your son to get a free Google account. Then, by using googlesync, you can back-up your contacts and calendar. You can even add an extra calendar for birthdays(i have a large family, so i need it). If you have a Mac, it also syncs into ical and address book. Good luck!
    Alli and Mr. Chitlin like this.
    01-02-2011 06:31 PM
    Agree totally with grunt0300. Sync with Google and you'll never regret it and never worry about it.
    grunt0300 and Mr. Chitlin like this.
    01-02-2011 06:57 PM
    Tell your son to get a free Google account. Then, by using googlesync, you can back-up your contacts and calendar. You can even add an extra calendar for birthdays(i have a large family, so i need it). If you have a Mac, it also syncs into ical and address book. Good luck!
    That's what I had him do. I couldn't live without Google Sync.

Everything worked out fine but he was sweating it for a few hours.
    01-10-2011 08:32 PM
    Why would you hope that?! He made a mistake, I hope next time you make a mistake some ****** bag tells you they hope you "learned a lesson" he's a kid, give him a break.
    07-12-2013 02:44 PM
    Why would you hope that?! He made a mistake, I hope next time you make a mistake some ****** bag tells you they hope you "learned a lesson" he's a kid, give him a break.
    And welcome to iMore. What a terrific first post. Exactly which post were you replying to, and why start out calling someone names? Please try to familiarize yourself with our forum guidelines before continuing. http://forums.imore.com/faq.php?faq=...faq_imorerules
    kch50428 likes this.
    07-12-2013 10:40 PM
    Turn on iCloud prob solved .. I know this wouldn't have work on the 3G but now that he upgraded just use iCloud

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    07-12-2013 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD