Factoryunlock help

crissysunday

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
My husband purchased a Canadian factory unlocked iphone 4 for me for Christmas. It was previously used for about a month with a Canadian carrier.

I cannot get it to work with my Tmobile sim. I used a sim cutter to make sure the sim was cut properly and restored the phone to factory settings.

However, when I connect to iTunes, it says "Sim not supported."
I even put the old sim (with the Canadian carrier) in and was able to set up through iTunes. But when I put my sim back, I get the same message.

What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

crissysunday

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The original owner got it in Canada and activated it with Fido, a Canadian carrier. After some research, it does appear the model number is indeed tied to Apple Canada and the phone number of the phone was a Canadian number.

I just don't know what else to do.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
ahh i didn't realise you were on 4.2.1. I can only guess an unlock will be around soon. I've done a bit of looking and can't see that Fido offer an official unlock (Does anyone else know this?)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK I am in Canada so I can shed a little light on this for you. The phone is either incorrectly sold to you or it is one of the earlier ones that were unlocked but got locked when it was bought. My phone was bought from Apple it is unlocked, I am on Fido and I've tested my phone with Rogers, Telus and Bell SIMs which all worked. I didn't have to do anything just put the microSIM in and power on the phone. The carriers here also sell the phone off contract for the same price as the unlocked one but it is still locked to their network. I have three friends with this and my SIM wont work in their phone which is from another carrier. So perhaps that is why the seller thought it was unlocked when it's really not. So you can get in contact with the seller and returnthe phone and buy another unlocked one, put it up for sale at the same price and ship it to a Canadian buyer or you could wait until the JB and unlock is out and do it and sell or keep it.

Carl_g

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The carriers here also sell the phone off contract for the same price as the unlocked one but it is still locked to their network.

That seems totally unfair; I would say if you're going to buy an unlocked phone, get it from the Apple store.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73