SCAM ALERT: Iphone 32GB for $225 via forum PM

dvigue

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
got a PM from TIPB this am saying i can buy a brand new Iphone 32gig for 225. came through as a PM on here..very strange. i replied with 2 diffrent email addresses, and got the same excate response..

Hi Don,

Great timing! You are number 4 to email us meaning there is just one left assuming you purchase yours. As previously stated, the cost is $225 for the 32gb iPhone 4. We would just like to remind you that no contract is needed for this phone. We are avoiding processing payments for this promotion through PayPal to combat the fraudulent chargebacks we have unfortunately received in the past. It would be preferable that you would pay immediately through the Western Union website. There are options available to pay through your credit/debit card.

Please go to Money Transfer | Western Union and when you choose the sending money option, please select the first option: "In minutes sent to anywhere in the world." Our website coordinator, Brian Nicholson, will be receiving the money as he is handling this promotion.

You will be asked for the following information:

Receiver's First Name: Brian
Receiver's Last Name: Nicholson
City: Clinton Twp
State: Michigan

When you send us the information needed to pick up the money as instructed by Western Union, please also include your shipping information. This will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail and should arrive within 5 business days. Additionally, a tracking number is provided.

Also, please note that there is a fee to send money through this method, but that was taken into consideration when we were conducting pricing evaluations. It is very important that you inform of us when you sent the money so it can be picked up. Unfortunately, we are only able to hold your spot for up to five hours which is another reason we are choosing an instant payment method.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
The TiPb.com staff

Last edited:

dvigue

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
this was the Original PM i got from "admin" with only 15 posts....
From November 15, 2010 through December 22, 2010, the TiPb staff has been working hard to secure a special promotion to offer our members. After what seemed like endless phone calls and emails, the website coordinator was able to secure a special price on five new 32gb iPhone 4's. The TiPb staff is thankful to proudly announce that you are able to make one of these your own for only $225!

Please keep in mind that with over 49,500 registered members, these five iPhone's are going to be sold fast! With that said, we are certain that this promotion will create quite a buzz, so we are requesting that any correspondence you have with a staffer be limited to our special email address set up strictly for this offer -- iphonepromo225@yahoo.com. Any and all questions, including a purchase request, must be sent to that email address. As a result of our moderators having to work overtime to clean up the message board, merge threads, delete double posts, etc. with inquiries regarding this offer, any and all posts made on the board regarding this will be deleted.

Act quickly!

Once again, we thank you for being a member at TiPb.com and we hope to hear from you soon!

Best wishes,
The TiPb.com staff

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, this is definitely a scam - I just received the exact same PM from the account named Admin.

TiPb staff - please take care of this!! Delete/lock this account and notify anyone who might have received these PM's!!

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Something good _did_ come of this! I logged in with Safari, and decided to _finally_ check out the Tapatalk app. Let's just call it love at first sight...Now I have to figure out how to convince the owner of the forum where I spend all my waking hours ( Cornsnakes.com) to turn it on!! Any suggestions??

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I reported the PM before reading this, it sure looked like a scam. It got my mod radar tingling. I'm a mod in another life. ;) (Ok at CB ;) )

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
On behalf of TiPb and the forums I just want to apologize to everyone that this scam snuck through our defenses. Everyone at TiPb and SPE is on this and we're going to work really hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

We're fortunate our users are smart and proactive, and luckily that's a scammer's worst nightmare!

Rene

Reactions: pkcable

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
On behalf of TiPb and the forums I just want to apologize to everyone that this scam snuck through our defenses. Everyone at TiPb and SPE is on this and we're going to work really hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

We're fortunate our users are smart and proactive, and luckily that's a scammer's worst nightmare!

Rene
These things happen, Rene. Hopefully no one was affected too greatly.

You're right about one thing though, TiPb has a great user base and it was shut down quick. Cheers to that!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If it makes anyone feel any better, I got the pm too. I'd actually slept in this morning (since I'm still trapped in NJ), and Ren? was already on it by the time I saw it.

It's amazing what some people will do.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Wait a second...

So I shouldn't have emailed them my full name, mother's maiden name, social security, home address, credit card number, expiration date, security code, jpeg of my signature, driver's license number, bank account # and routing #, and passwords to my online bank account and email address?

Uh... I'm gonna email them to see if they can return that information to me and promise not to use it. That will work, right guys?

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Wait a second...

So I shouldn't have emailed them my full name, mother's maiden name, social security, home address, credit card number, expiration date, security code, jpeg of my signature, driver's license number, bank account # and routing #, and passwords to my online bank account and email address?

Uh... I'm gonna email them to see if they can return that information to me and promise not to use it. That will work, right guys?

You shouldve listened to your username and thought twice. But no worries, they will eventually send you the shiny WHITE iPhone .:p

If you havent received it by the end of the year, email me all the info above and I will see if I can help you out ! :p:rolleyes::D:eek:

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Wait a second...

Ahh...you beat me to posting this! Was going to post the same thing!! :D

gadgetgirl

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
re scam

I also woke up to the same message today. I was also on the alert to the odd sounding message, that seemed rather desperate!
They must have got everyone's email.