Sold the iPhone 4...bought a 3GS...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The 3GS looks like an original Nintendo compared to the iPhone 4.

That's a bit over dramatic...while not nearly as clear or detailed, its certainly not a world different in quality. The 3GS still has a great screen, and im slowly starting to really pay no attention to the lesser screen, it honestly just seems like im using an iPhone (just like the iP4 was after i had it for a few weeks).

I'm still quite happy with my 3GS, and i love having the increased memory, no more picking and choosing files to drop or add! The only thing im a little wary about is something i knew about before i bought it, but this one has started to develop the tiny little cracks around the headphone jack and the port on the bottom...you have to REALLY look to see them, and since i knew it happened on almost all of them, i was inspecting it yesterday and saw them.

This one still seems to tether faster than my iPhone 4 did...im talking a noticeable difference too. I have full bars on it almost every where i go (which was the same on the iPhone 4), but the speeds i can browse the web on my mac seem to be up about 10%.

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Cheers to you but it's definitely not for me.

As most have said before, I didn't fall into the whole "Retina Display" thing at first... but then I used the phone for a few months. Every time I used my g/f's 3G was like pain and torture (granted they're alot worse than the 3GS) and I ended up buying her an iPhone 4 for her birthday.

From the A4 chip, more RAM, amazing display, overall increased functionality, beautiful pictures, and wonderful battery life, I just cannot see myself being completely content by going back to the 3GS - though I did love that phone very much.

squire

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm really surprised that no one mentioned the eBay and pay pal fees. By my math, he put about $215 in his pocket after everything.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really surprised that no one mentioned the eBay and pay pal fees. By my math, he put about $215 in his pocket after everything.

Actually, i had a credit with eBay for a free auction (from a mistake they made a while back that cost me a buyer), so i had zero ebay fees and the paypal fee was like $18 or something, sooooo...i didn't think it was relevant because i was just pointing out the current online sales value by quoting what i made.

The funny thing is that since i got the 3GS, my wife has been going crazy because she wanted a white iPhone 4, and since she's not nearly as tech savvy as i consider myself to be, she's been bugging me to sell her iPhone and get her one like mine, i told her to give me another week with the 3GS and i may trade her straight up for her iP4 if i find the 3GS to be lesser of a phone...so far though, it aint happening.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
As most have said before, I didn't fall into the whole "Retina Display" thing at first... .

Wanting more resolution did seem to fall on deaf ears before Apple even uttered the word "retina." Even the Palm Pre's screen looked much sharper compared to the 3GS as the Pre had more colors and ppi.

Even better than actually getting the "retina" display is that Apple raised the bar for everyone else to expect or want better resolution. It's pretty common to see that as one of the features most desired on the ipad 2.

lordzod01

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Everyones got to do there own thing..I wouldn't knock the decision, personally I'll stick with my 4. But who are you trying to convince that the 3GS is better in anyway than the 4, with tethering, etc. If your short of money, ergo.. But it's still a step back. Personally I'll skip the 5th addition and wait for the 6th like before with my 3G. All the best though kid.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Everyones got to do there own thing..I wouldn't knock the decision, personally I'll stick with my 4. But who are you trying to convince that the 3GS is better in anyway than the 4, with tethering, etc. If your short of money, ergo.. But it's still a step back. Personally I'll skip the 5th addition and wait for the 6th like before with my 3G. All the best though kid.

lol...what? :confused: I don't recall saying the 3GS was better at ANY POINT in this thread, my words specifically pointed out that i was getting better speeds with the 3GS tethering vs. the iPhone 4 (this could come down to location, network conditions, etc etc)...so many variables that there was never even a hint at me saying the iphone 4 was the fault of the slower speed, i was simply pointing out what i was experiencing there "kid".

Had nothing to do with being short on money...i wanted the money and a larger memory iPhone, the solution was to get a 3GS with more memory and pocket the left overs. Not real hard to understand here, and i was never trying to say i was unhappy with the iPhone 4...in fact, if i knew i would pull the same kind of money in closer to the iphone 5 release, i would have waited and done it then, but common sense tells us that wont happen, and that the Xmas hype was going to yield more profit...basic math here.

Perhaps going back and actually reading what i put would provide clarity for you, as the only reason i even sold it in the first place was because of the value pre-Xmas vs. selling it later for a lesser amount.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Actually, i had a credit with eBay for a free auction (from a mistake they made a while back that cost me a buyer), so i had zero ebay fees and the paypal fee was like $18 or something, sooooo...i didn't think it was relevant because i was just pointing out the current online sales value by quoting what i made.

The funny thing is that since i got the 3GS, my wife has been going crazy because she wanted a white iPhone 4, and since she's not nearly as tech savvy as i consider myself to be, she's been bugging me to sell her iPhone and get her one like mine, i told her to give me another week with the 3GS and i may trade her straight up for her iP4 if i find the 3GS to be lesser of a phone...so far though, it aint happening.

Come on if not for yourself do it for your Wife ;) like I said the iPhone is a Want not a Need and no matter what everyone says I don't fault anyone for taking one over the other. I've got my first generation iPhone and damn if I didn't have a microSIM I'd pop the SIM in it just to use it for a week or two.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
While i wouldn't do this with the 3GS, i could see doing this later for the next iphone.

I'm already upgrade eligible again (at&t is weird..go figure). I could always buy an iphone 5, sell it, and still use the iphone 4. Depends what the iphone 5 is... Probably will have same resolution for awhile, same RAM, slightly faster processor, etc.

Don't care if cameras get more resolution.

I'd say the only thing i'd really want added hardware wise is LTE but i doubt I'll see it on AT&T anytime soon and no Verizon in my area. I can wait another generation for a processor bump.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The thing that i think alot of people dont understand is that i WILL be buying the iPhone 5 on release day, i've done it with every iPhone so far and this time will be no different. I tried the iPhone 4 and i LOVED it, best iphone by far (thus far)...but in this case, the value was so high (higher than simply buying them new with no contract!) I really wanted a 32GB iPhone, but i couldn't see myself investing into a 32GB iP4 when i only have a matter of a few months before i can buy the new iPhone 5. This is a bridge between an amazing sale of my iPhone 4 and the inevitable purchase of the next iPhone...i dont plan on having this 3GS for any longer than that at all...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Making $275 is worth downgrading ans losing all the features. I can make that many others ways but not giving up the best device around

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Making $275 is worth downgrading ans losing all the features. I can make that many others ways but not giving up the best device around

I could have found a dozen ways to make the same money without giving up the iPhone 4, really had nothing to do with it as i explained...the iPhone 4 pre-christmas, was at a peek of value, and i personally wasn't attached at the hip to it so i took advantage of the price spike and sold it...

A little update too, still totally satisfied with the 3GS's performance thus far. The screen is deff the part i miss the most from the iP4, but over all, i'm content with having more memory and what seems like better tethering performance...i had a case on my iPhone 4 (the same with this 3GS) so as far as cosmetic issues, it's really a non-issue because i never really looked at my iphone 4 without a case much anyways...

The camera on the 3GS is better than i remembered but not anywhere near the iphone 4's capabilities...but the HDR style apps available for the 3GS now make taking pictures with it alot more appealing than before...i rarely used the video camera on the 4 so that's another issue i'm not really missing at all.

People have argued that the processor and general on phone performance would be a factor that would prevent them from making this same swap, but honestly, between my wife's iPhone 4 and my 3GS, i see very little to ZERO difference in the speeds in which it switches between apps or downloads apps...the only thing i noticed that was still quite negligible was when it opens apps, the iP4 seemed to do it about a second quicker...

Please understand that im not saying that the 3GS is a better phone in ANY way, shape or form...this was simply an "experience" thread, not a comparison thread. So far so good on my end, more storage space and a nice amount for the iP4 have made this an easy and problem free transition for me...

I actually had someone offer me a nice chunk of change for this 3GS not too long ago, enough to where i would have just enough to buy the iP4 32GB with the excess i made plus the 3GS sales amount...but with just a few months left to wait for the iP5, i held off. And honestly, having this version of the phone has made me MORE excited about the newer iphone coming this summer!

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
hey, you profited $275 and you still have your iphone. Just do it one more time and you will have enough to buy an iPad

apple has refurbs for $429

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
hey, you profited $275 and you still have your iphone. Just do it one more time and you will have enough to buy an iPad

apple has refurbs for $429

an iPad that will be last-gen in less than a month..
But I guess this particular poster might not mind that much :p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Why, if i am going to wait 6 months to buy a new iPhone, would a buy an iPad a month or so before the new gen comes out? I don't currently have an iPad, nor is there a previous gen to swap to if i DID have one...sooooooo...yeah.

pricej636

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
@SeanHRCC You seem awfully worried about people's opinions. If you were really that confident in your decision you wouldn't care what people said. Just my opinion though...

On the topic, I could go back to a 3GS if I had to, but I wouldn't do it by choice. The screen alone is enough reason for me to never go back. Although I was on my wife's 3GS the other day and swear hers is faster than my IP4. Probably just whatever apps I had open but still. When I bring up the "multitasking bar" on my IP4 it takes a second or two to open. My wife's 3GS is pretty much instant.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site

wow, you really think there will be a new iPad available by the end of Jan (You did say less then a month)

In reality, I dont expect to see one available to the general public for at least 3-4 months. Unlikely before April.

If you are a wise businessman like the OP, you shouldnt have a hard time selling the current ipad for about 75% of the purchase price when the new one comes out.

just my opinion

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
@SeanHRCC You seem awfully worried about people's opinions. If you were really that confident in your decision you wouldn't care what people said. Just my opinion though...

On the topic, I could go back to a 3GS if I had to, but I wouldn't do it by choice. The screen alone is enough reason for me to never go back. Although I was on my wife's 3GS the other day and swear hers is faster than my IP4. Probably just whatever apps I had open but still. When I bring up the "multitasking bar" on my IP4 it takes a second or two to open. My wife's 3GS is pretty much instant.

Im just bored...trying to create convo, i don't really care what other people think about my decision, i just respond because it keeps a topic alive and discussions can be interesting when you're sitting in a patrol car for 10 hours, lmao.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
яю1

bersthevipo narod ru/bmw-recall-2010 html]Bmw recall 2010
bersthevipo narod ru/bmw-prices-london html]Bmw prices london
bersthevipo narod ru/bmw-dealers-boston html]Bmw dealers boston
bersthevipo narod ru/bmw-convertible-top-repair html]Bmw convertible top repair
bersthevipo narod ru/bmw-m6-jaguar-xkr html]Bmw m6 jaguar xkr

centkewoolca narod ru/bmw-s1000rr-yamaha-r6 html]Bmw s1000rr yamaha r6
centkewoolca narod ru/bmw-keys-e36 html]Bmw keys e36
centkewoolca narod ru/bmw-motorrad-step-program html]Bmw motorrad step program
centkewoolca narod ru/bmw-finance-gap-insurance html]Bmw finance gap insurance
centkewoolca narod ru/bmw-parts-online-discount html]Bmw parts online discount

hofecefeyoyusataho t35 com/bmw-gallery-of-norwood-reviews html]Bmw gallery of norwood reviews
hofecefeyoyusataho t35 com/bmw-leasing-cars html]Bmw leasing cars
hofecefeyoyusataho t35 com/bmw-x6-price-new html]Bmw x6 price new
hofecefeyoyusataho t35 com/bmw-tucson-address html]Bmw tucson address
hofecefeyoyusataho t35 com/bmw-m5-turbo html]Bmw m5 turbo

jusiqazijega t35 com/bmw-of-san-diego-el-cajon html]Bmw of san diego el cajon
jusiqazijega t35 com/bmw-z3-for-sale-gumtree html]Bmw z3 for sale gumtree
jusiqazijega t35 com/bmw-x7-buy html]Bmw x7 buy
jusiqazijega t35 com/bmw-tampa-reeves html]Bmw tampa reeves
jusiqazijega t35 com/bmw-motorcycles-johannesburg html]Bmw motorcycles johannesburg

kosacoricefot t35 com/bmw-k1300s-info html]Bmw k1300s info
kosacoricefot t35 com/bmw-e46-reset-service-light html]Bmw e46 reset service light
kosacoricefot t35 com/ctg-9-2 html]Bmw uk tyres
kosacoricefot t35 com/bmw-credit-card-uae html]Bmw credit card uae
kosacoricefot t35 com/bmw-wagon-cargo-space html]Bmw wagon cargo space

kozitibitofo t35 com/bmw-las-vegas-for-sale html]Bmw las vegas for sale
kozitibitofo t35 com/ctg-4-14 html]Bmw germany plant
kozitibitofo t35 com/bmw-tulsa-review html]Bmw tulsa review
kozitibitofo t35 com/ctg-20-48 html]Bmw auto parts warehouse
kozitibitofo t35 com/bmw-championship-nike html]Bmw championship nike

naxosobohiviter t35 com/bmw-oem-parts-used html]Bmw oem parts used
naxosobohiviter t35 com/bmw-accessories-new-zealand html]Bmw accessories new zealand
naxosobohiviter t35 com/bmw-performance-brakes html]Bmw performance brakes
naxosobohiviter t35 com/ctg-14-9 html]Bmw motorcycles albuquerque
naxosobohiviter t35 com/bmw-m3-for-sale-atlanta html]Bmw m3 for sale atlanta

punontipa narod ru/bmw-hp2-sport-info html]Bmw hp2 sport info
punontipa narod ru/bmw-select-x5 html]Bmw select x5
punontipa narod ru/bmw-rims-e30 html]Bmw rims e30
punontipa narod ru/bmw-dinan-video html]Bmw dinan video
punontipa narod ru/bmw-z3-for-sale-calgary html]Bmw z3 for sale calgary

releyolexoruc t35 com/bmw-san-francisco-service html]Bmw san francisco service
releyolexoruc t35 com/ctg-18-46 html]Bmw financial services fax number
releyolexoruc t35 com/bmw-x3-2011-gas-mileage html]Bmw x3 2011 gas mileage
releyolexoruc t35 com/bmw-dinan-procede html]Bmw dinan procede
releyolexoruc t35 com/bmw-concord-collision-reviews html]Bmw concord collision reviews

sekomibideloxu t35 com/ctg-11-29 html]Bmw e36 undertray
sekomibideloxu t35 com/bmw-e30-sport-seats html]Bmw e30 sport seats
sekomibideloxu t35 com/bmw-assist-review html]Bmw assist review
sekomibideloxu t35 com/bmw-vision-jpg html]Bmw vision jpg
sekomibideloxu t35 com/bmw-dealers-san-francisco html]Bmw dealers san francisco

tamcydisme narod ru/bmw-ipod-out html]Bmw ipod out
tamcydisme narod ru/bmw-wagon-seattle html]Bmw wagon seattle
tamcydisme narod ru/bmw-k1200s-owners-manual html]Bmw k1200s owners manual
tamcydisme narod ru/bmw-finance-bank html]Bmw finance bank
tamcydisme narod ru/bmw-news-rss-feeds html]Bmw news rss feeds

tarentluthol narod ru/bmw-rims-buy html]Bmw rims buy
tarentluthol narod ru/bmw-german-engineering html]Bmw german engineering
tarentluthol narod ru/bmw-tenafly-parts html]Bmw tenafly parts
tarentluthol narod ru/ctg-6-3 html]Bmw careers in sa
tarentluthol narod ru/bmw-m3-for-sale-usa html]Bmw m3 for sale usa

tesreatari narod ru/bmw-vanos-seals html]Bmw vanos seals
tesreatari narod ru/bmw-tuning-nashville html]Bmw tuning nashville
tesreatari narod ru/bmw-e36-recommended-oil html]Bmw e36 recommended oil
tesreatari narod ru/bmw-cpo-philippines html]Bmw cpo philippines
tesreatari narod ru/bmw-floor-mats-for-cars html]Bmw floor mats for cars

tranamenco narod ru/bmw-convertible-cost html]Bmw convertible cost
tranamenco narod ru/bmw-e90-xenon-lights html]Bmw e90 xenon lights
tranamenco narod ru/bmw-history-engines html]Bmw history engines
tranamenco narod ru/bmw-germany-internship html]Bmw germany internship
tranamenco narod ru/bmw-joy-youtube html]Bmw joy youtube

tzenascredas narod ru/ctg-11-4 html]Bmw k1200s k and n
tzenascredas narod ru/bmw-wallpaper-m3 html]Bmw wallpaper m3
tzenascredas narod ru/bmw-k1200s-mcn html]Bmw k1200s mcn
tzenascredas narod ru/bmw-european-delivery-z4 html]Bmw european delivery z4
tzenascredas narod ru/bmw-cpo-transferable html]Bmw cpo transferable

ventergcowi narod ru/bmw-z8-xenon html]Bmw z8 xenon
ventergcowi narod ru/bmw-quad-price html]Bmw quad price
ventergcowi narod ru/used-bmw-cars-london html]Used bmw cars london
ventergcowi narod ru/bmw-tuning-gta-san-andreas html]Bmw tuning gta san andreas
ventergcowi narod ru/bmw-financial-services-payoff-phone-number html]Bmw financial services payoff phone number

vohujiyufuvej t35 com/bmw-e90-key-battery html]Bmw e90 key battery
vohujiyufuvej t35 com/bmw-store-discount-coupons html]Bmw store discount coupons
vohujiyufuvej t35 com/bmw-blog-usa html]Bmw blog usa
vohujiyufuvej t35 com/bmw-vision-sports-car html]Bmw vision sports car
vohujiyufuvej t35 com/bmw-m3-for-sale-united-states html]Bmw m3 for sale united states

xagaloherezunaweku t35 com/bmw-dealership-nj html]Bmw dealership nj
xagaloherezunaweku t35 com/bmw-convertible-deals html]Bmw convertible deals
xagaloherezunaweku t35 com/bmw-cars-for-sale-in-california html]Bmw cars for sale in california
xagaloherezunaweku t35 com/bmw-towson-inc html]Bmw towson inc
xagaloherezunaweku t35 com/bmw-z4-for-sale-dealers html]Bmw z4 for sale dealers

zoyovefahohe t35 com/bmw-championship-leaderboard-2009 html]Bmw championship leaderboard 2009
zoyovefahohe t35 com/bmw-select-vs-leasing html]Bmw select vs leasing
zoyovefahohe t35 com/bmw-gallery-calgary-parts html]Bmw gallery calgary parts
zoyovefahohe t35 com/bmw-convertible-repair html]Bmw convertible repair
zoyovefahohe t35 com/bmw-rims-tires-sale html]Bmw rims tires sale

hahaha win!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member