New iP4 user - help with battery?

JRF_1986

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi, TiPB forum users! Got my iP4 like 5 days ago and have noticed something. Up until yesterday, I was amazed with the battery life of my phone (came from a BB Storm2 with crappy battery life). But, last night I plugged in my phone with about 70% of charge left and wifi on. I unplugged it this morning and turned off wifi, checked FB and one email. After a few minutes I lost 3% of my battery. I thought that was pretty fast. Then I opened Echofon and after reading some tweets for like 15 minutes, I lost more life. In 23 minutes total I lost 6%. I went from 100 to 94. Usually I'd stay at 100 for at least an hour. Is it because I left wifi on? Also, I remember last night I updated some carrier settings or whatever iTunes pushed to me. Could that be the problem? Thanka for any help!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You will use less battery with Wi-Fi than with using 3G. Honestly your usage does not sound far off at all. Also make sure not to have any intensive apps running in the background such as games like Infinity Blade or GPS apps.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd recommend that you do full battery cycles as well. Totally killing the battery and charging it to full helps maintain the over all life of the battery cells

tizocman

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
killing everything thats running in the background and turning off wifi,bluetooth,lower brighness,no push all help save battery.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This is a myth doing this is actually damaging for most lithium ions.

Myth? Not only do Apple tell u to do it on their battery support page but every laptop vendor on the planet tells you to 1st discharge the battery then fully charge it in cycles. I do it and it has made great improvements over my previous ip4 (which was replaced)

If it damages the battery don't you think there would be lawsuits flying around by now?

And giving me negative feedback??? What's that about, look at Jeremys link above.... Very last thing it says is ensure you cycle the battery.

Last edited:

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you need to get your iPhone to get rid of say 5% battery so it can complete a full charge during the night, you can:
Turn on Bluetooth
Turn on Wifi
Turn on 3G
Turn brightness to max (turn off auto-brightness)
Run a heavy app, such as Infinity Blade

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
From what I've read, draining a Li based battery completely (as in to 0 charge whatsoever) can damage the battery. But on most phones, laptops, etc., they will shut off before you get to that point. Deep cycling the battery will help to recalibrate the batt percentage. It's not necessarily a function of the true capacity of the battery (from what I understand), but rather just fine tuning of what the device thinks is a full charge vs. 50% vs. 10% vs. whatever%. You wouldn't want to run the phone/device down until it shuts off and then leave it in a drawer for weeks (which could get you to 0 charge whatsoever). I seem to recall that Apple recommends discharging the battery to below 20% once a month to help with the calibration. I don't remember seeing them recommending discharging to absolute 0.

Again, just what I recall reading in various places. I'm not a chemist, physicist, or battery guru.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, TiPB forum users! Got my iP4 like 5 days ago and have noticed something. Up until yesterday, I was amazed with the battery life of my phone (came from a BB Storm2 with crappy battery life). But, last night I plugged in my phone with about 70% of charge left and wifi on. I unplugged it this morning and turned off wifi, checked FB and one email. After a few minutes I lost 3% of my battery. I thought that was pretty fast. Then I opened Echofon and after reading some tweets for like 15 minutes, I lost more life. In 23 minutes total I lost 6%. I went from 100 to 94. Usually I'd stay at 100 for at least an hour. Is it because I left wifi on? Also, I remember last night I updated some carrier settings or whatever iTunes pushed to me. Could that be the problem? Thanka for any help!

wow from verizon to at&t ouch. iPhone 4 has better battery life anyway :D

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro