looking for a good video/movie editing software for the iPhone 4

iMovie looks really cool but the reviews aren't the greatest

been reading that ReelDirector is possibly better?
    12-16-2010 01:00 AM
    i use iMovie and though i try to avoid editing video on my phone the few times that i have imovie was very useful once you get used to the controls
    12-16-2010 03:31 AM
    I've got both. ReelDirector has more options right now, although neither comes close to what you can do on your desktop.
    12-16-2010 06:56 AM
    I use imovie and it works great once you get used to how to navigate thru the app menus. Also, incase your into editing pictures as well there's an app called "ProCamera" that is AMAZING!
    12-16-2010 09:00 AM
    I have them both and ReelDirector is much better right now to edit and render on the iPhone. It gives you way more options.
    12-16-2010 10:08 AM
    thank you everyone for the input..

this is frustrating.. watching the video tutorials of iMovie look nice! but when i read reviews they are not that great

can someone tell me the maximum duration of videos/movies allowed with each one?

also, i'm having a difficult time determining how long i can play a song for (of my choice) ... can a song be played in a continuous loop?

i apologize for such simple questions but i cant seem to find accurate answers on the web
    12-16-2010 04:11 PM
    So are you absolutely stuck on having the video/audio specifically ON the phone? There are several options on the computer that you can use and have a plethora of options to pretty much do anything you want...including iMovie for mac (which is awesome, but im sure you knew that). I think that iMovie on the iPhone is a cool little toy, but its functionality has prevented me from actually seriously sitting down and using it because it just lacks some very key components that i find necessary (and no, i dont expect the mac experience on the iPhone, and for the price, i think its a nice addition to your video capabilities).

iMovie's appeal is its simplicity, and i also think that, to many, its limitations are what appeals to them, because its so easy to pick up, there arnt overwhelming amounts of options, and the layout is clutter free and easy to pick up and use. The audio i found to be the biggest weakness because you simply dont have enough options, you add one song, and that's it, no merging, no end fade and from what i saw, no loop...once it ends, its over, even if your video is still going...the music WILL however lower in volume if you use the video's audio at the same time, i thought that was a cool feature.

The length of video is really based on what format you plan on sending it, so the answers would differ from email to text to uploading...you can look up the various lengths on google though, they have a break down of them somewhere.

ReelDirector does have more options (i just took a few minutes and looked at the description and various options), but i think i would go with the Apple native app simply for the inevitable addition of most of those tools you'd actually use...that and functionality will almost always be assured with iMovie, where as ReelDirector, if it develops bugs or anything with future updates could be iffy...not that it WOULD happen, but thats really all i could go on since i still think a computer based editing software would be far more useful and valuable.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 12-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    12-16-2010 05:46 PM
    Sean, thank you very much! that's exactly what i was looking for with this thread

also, the money is not a concern regarding buying apps, it's more like the fact that i do not want to go through the trial & error of finding one that i will like. i'd rather go with one of the best from the get go. i'm leaning more and more towards iMovie, mainly because like you have mentioned it being a native app, so to speak

i think starting out on the iPhone making videos/movies might be my best bet only because i am on my iPhone a lot... maybe too much haha. i think it's very convenient to have this capability right in your pocket. if we see something we would like to add to our video collection at any given moment it can happen right at that moment, rather than carrying a camcorder everywhere

who knows, maybe i will not like it at all but at least i have received some very good info from everyone to help me decide
    12-16-2010 10:16 PM
    I agree with Sean; having both I can say that while ReelDirector does seem to have more functionality in the long run, iMovie wins for ease of use, since many of the extra features of RD don't come into play for most videos.

And one correction: the 1.1 update for iMovie brought automatic looping for the audio, among other things.
    12-17-2010 12:24 AM
    I agree with Sean; having both I can say that while ReelDirector does seem to have more functionality in the long run, iMovie wins for ease of use, since many of the extra features of RD don't come into play for most videos.

And one correction: the 1.1 update for iMovie brought automatic looping for the audio, among other things.
    Thanks for the correction...as you can see, i really don't use it at all (that and the fact that i have iMovie and Creative suite on my mac so anytime i want to mess with a movie, i use those 100% of the time). I'm going to do a project on it today just to see the new features though, i remember the update...i feel like such a bum for never checking it out haha. (and im sure that update was quite a while ago too lol)
    12-17-2010 07:36 AM
    ReelDirector for Options
    iMovie for Ease of Use
    12-19-2010 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD