webOS user coming to iPhone

Bird_Flu

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So former webOS users, what do you miss most about webOS and what do you miss the least. I can say with all honesty I will miss the crappy build quality of the Palm Pre (I've had 3 in 10 months) the least. I love the OS and am just wondering how easy the transition will be. My wife and I are transitioning sometime in February. I'll also be happy to get rid of Sprint and their lame service. The price is nice but since their 4G rollout in my local market it's been spotty 3G coverage at best.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Once you get the iphone in your hands, it doesnt matter what phone you came from, you wont miss anything about it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have never owned but have used a webOS device. I feel it is far superior to iOS in a couple of ways. Notifications are absolute garbage on iOS. Multitasking isn't true multitasking on iOS, but it works just fine. IMHO, webOS is the best OS out there that was sadly hindered by the idiocy of Palm itself.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have never owned but have used a webOS device. I feel it is far superior to iOS in a couple of ways. Notifications are absolute garbage on iOS. Multitasking isn't true multitasking on iOS, but it works just fine. IMHO, webOS is the best OS out there that was sadly hindered by the idiocy of Palm itself.

Agreed. I think android has the best setup for notifications. You just swipe your finger down at the status bar and you get a list of all your notification, with an option to clear them all at once. No badges. No annoying purple pop ups that disturb your work. All you get is a sound or a vibration.

Though I don't think anyone has hit the nail on the head for multitasking yet.

but, having used an iDevice before (iPod touch, iPad) and I have to say its pretty easy to use. You won't really need to get used to it or learn anything. Its pretty simple.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You will miss notifications. WebOS did a great job of that. You may miss the physical keyboard for the first 2 weeks - and then you'll wonder why you ever thought it was an issue.

Beyond that, you will be much happier with the iPhone.

@Chris G - why did you even feel compelled to put your 2 cents in here when you don't have an iPhone and never used a Pre?

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You will miss notifications. WebOS did a great job of that. You may miss the physical keyboard for the first 2 weeks - and then you'll wonder why you ever thought it was an issue.

Beyond that, you will be much happier with the iPhone.

@Chris G - why did you even feel compelled to put your 2 cents in here when you don't have an iPhone and never used a Pre?

Why not? Free will. Plus the iPad and iPod touch is the same thing, just minus the phone part, and I think anyone can dial a number :rolleyes:

Last edited:

redundant

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
possible webos user to iphone

I face a tough decision I think. I am on Verizon, ergo, no iPhone to date. I use a palm pre plus and like it a lot. I have always had apple computers and palm phones/devices. I think at CES, HP/Palm will announce some new phones and a tablet and they will probably be very compelling. I do think webOS is a better operating system than iOS. However, the iPhone will have better compatibility with my systems. I think apple will be rolling out new cloud based services with their data center and apple has a huge lead in applications and product maturity. If verizon introduces the iphone, I will probably switch. Conflicting loyalty is a tough thing however.

If I leave palm webOS, I will definitely miss the multitasking. Much better than the iphone. I have ipod touch. From what I have seen, the notifications are much better with palm as well. I like the Palm outside development community. I will miss the inductive charging and over the air updating. I like the backup you get with Palm every night, at no cost.

I won't miss the lack of apps and most of all, I won't miss the dreadful battery life. It is the one sore spot that I can't get past and that apple has nailed.

Snowleopards

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
WebOS phone is amazing and great. I had Palm Pre for 8 months and I was happy with it (I get an iPhone 4 and Palm Pre use my mom now). But there wasn't some things:"Not possible to sync with MobileMe contacts, calendars, Notes (email works), phone screen only 3.1" and resolution 320 x 480 pixels only. :(

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I think android has the best setup for notifications. You just swipe your finger down at the status bar and you get a list of all your notification, with an option to clear them all at once. No badges. No annoying purple pop ups that disturb your work. All you get is a sound or a vibration..

Agreed. Having previously owned BB and Android devices, I'll only really miss Android's notifications in the menu bar, and Google Navigation. I'm a bit of a phone junkie so I've bounced around, but I have to say that the iPhone 4 is the best I've had. That says a lot, considering I just got it last week.

Bird_Flu

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like everything I thought I would miss. I have a 1st generation iPod touch so I haven't had the chance to use multi-tasking but from what I've read here on tipb it seems like it will do most of what I want it to do and if not there's an app for that I'm sure. Honestly the only multi-tasking I do on my Pre is opening up web pages to read from my twitter feed or facebook feed and I guess I could just spend $5 on Instapaper and just export those anyway. The only other multitasking I did was listening to podcasts/music and using the built in Sprint Navigation (TeleNav). So Apple's multitasking system sounds like it will do what I do with my Pre anyway. My wife is coming from a BB Pearl so this will be a big step up in functionality for her.

How is the pure experience? I've jailbroken my 1G iTouch and wasn't thrilled with it but this was way back in the day when I first got it still using iOS v1.something. I'm not tempted to jailbreak at the moment mostly because there's nothing compelling to me about it at the moment. I have ZERO reason to ever tether and aside from a possible new notification system I can't see any real reason.

Another question I had was, a patch I put on my Pre let's me mark all as read in my e-mail client. This is important to me, can you do this natively in iOS 4? I know with iOS 3.1.whatever is on my iTouch you can't and that's annoying.

Thanks for all the great info everyone, I'm very interested to hear what other Pre defectors are thinking about iOS.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a pre and an ipad.

you'll miss synergy. It's limited on webos now as far as what accounts you can tie in, but it's more than ios. And synergy will open up to whoever wants to write for it with webos 2.0. I.e. If you are following other peoples calendars in your google calendar,u will only see yours in the stock calendar app.

you will miss how easy it is to close apps. You do have to keep your # of open apps down or else an app will crash wile your doing something once in a wile in ios. Just want to be able to swipe open apps away.

wile typing, I miss the equivalent of control c and v t copy and paste. You can double tap, or hold, or something to do that, but wile typing, I like that functionality in the keyboard. Might be different with the smaller screen of the iphone, but that's what I think about typing with an ipad.

it won't turn the letter u into you or r into area. If the auto correct gets everything right, I love it, but it often times screws everything up, making it worse that if it just used what I typed.

just some contrasts

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of webos and iOS, can the jailbreak community mod as much of iOS as the homebrew community can patch webos? I have lots of ideas of tweaks id like for my iPad for if I ever jail broke it (I like untethered and multitasking so I'm waiting on that) but wont bother posting all of them if it's not doable.

Ie, when I put any video in full screen, I'd like the orientation to automatically switch to portrait for the duration of the time that the video is in fullscreen, regardless of if the orientation lock is on or not.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Ahh the old palm. The only thing I miss is my datebook app. But the Calengoo app on iPhone is really growing on me. I agree with the others, once you get the iPhone, you won't miss a thing!

Bird_Flu

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a pre and an ipad.

you'll miss synergy. It's limited on webos now as far as what accounts you can tie in, but it's more than ios. And synergy will open up to whoever wants to write for it with webos 2.0. I.e. If you are following other peoples calendars in your google calendar,u will only see yours in the stock calendar app.

you will miss how easy it is to close apps. You do have to keep your # of open apps down or else an app will crash wile your doing something once in a wile in ios. Just want to be able to swipe open apps away.

wile typing, I miss the equivalent of control c and v t copy and paste. You can double tap, or hold, or something to do that, but wile typing, I like that functionality in the keyboard. Might be different with the smaller screen of the iphone, but that's what I think about typing with an ipad.

it won't turn the letter u into you or r into area. If the auto correct gets everything right, I love it, but it often times screws everything up, making it worse that if it just used what I typed.

just some contrasts

How do you close out an app in the new iOS? Do you have to bring up the multitasking dock and close it out there? Say I'm using an app and just hit the home button, on iOS 3.x it just closes out which is fine, how does this work on iOS4?

Bird_Flu

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Negative ghostwriter.

Fail!! Is this something you can do in the jailbreak world? I'll have to see how much it annoys me in day to day usage, but this might be a compelling reason to jailbreak. As I said in my original post this wasn't something that was native to webOS, had to patch my phone to do this as well. But patching is stupid easy on webOS, I'm sure I'll miss that.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
How do you close out an app in the new iOS? Do you have to bring up the multitasking dock and close it out there? Say I'm using an app and just hit the home button, on iOS 3.x it just closes out which is fine, how does this work on iOS4?

You have to bring up the multi tasking menu and tap and hold an icon and click the red - symbol.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods