Push e-mail support. Which does and doesn't have it?

slr_noob

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I know Gmail has push support for sure, but I'm not sure why it's not pushing e-mail to me (only had the iPhone for a few days). Push is on.

What other free mail such as hotmail and yahoo mail has push e-mail support?

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know Gmail has push support for sure, but I'm not sure why it's not pushing e-mail to me (only had the iPhone for a few days). Push is on.

What other free mail such as hotmail and yahoo mail has push e-mail support?

I know Hotmail now supports exchange, which I think is push.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
mmm... if that's the case, should I have go straight to exchange instead of choosing "other" when I pick the account?

Yes. Go to Exchange and enter the following information

email: <Enter your e-mail address here>
server address: m.hotmail.com
SSL enabled
username: <enter your e-mail address here>
password: <enter your password here>
Domain: <leave this blank>
Source

More on Exchange ActiveSync for Hotmail: looks like it's working now! (?) | LiveSide.net

A first look at Hotmail Exchange ActiveSync on the iOS | LiveSide.net

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Settings/Mail, etc./Fetch New Data. Make sure push is on, and just in case, set fetch to every 15 minutes. I think it's set to manual by default. Under the advanced tab, you can set which accounts are push, and fetch. Hope this helps.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Tried setting up Gmail as an Exchange account, but I keep getting a "password incorrect" prompt. I know I'm putting my correct password, but it keeps happening. Frustrating.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Tried setting up Gmail as an Exchange account, but I keep getting a "password incorrect" prompt. I know I'm putting my correct password, but it keeps happening. Frustrating.

Are you using the full Gmail address as the user name? m.google.com is the server address I used, also. I think I had this issue before (I now have a Google Apps account setup and just use fetch for my @gmail.com address, so I'm not positive this is the issue).

Reactions: anon(62000)

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the full Gmail address as the user name? m.google.com is the server address I used, also. I think I had this issue before (I now have a Google Apps account setup and just use fetch for my @gmail.com address, so I'm not positive this is the issue).

That was the problem. Thanks!

ryanlberg

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
help when i set my google mail up for exchange is does not load all the emails in my in box. any idea on how to fix this
tia ryan

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
help when i set my google mail up for exchange is does not load all the emails in my in box. any idea on how to fix this
tia ryan

Can you be more specific about "all emails in my in box"? The Exchange setups will usually only show/retrieve emails within so many days. You can adjust how far back it goes in the settings for the account. Also, I believe the default is a threaded view, so if you want to see each email in a conversation individually listed in the main inbox and not grouped together, you have to turn off the "organize by thread" option in the main Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings. (This kind of threw me for a loop the first time, but I do kind of like it.) And finally, Gmail will include "sent" messages in the conversation in the web view, but only received emails should show up on the device (in threaded or non-threaded viewing) in the inbox. Your sent messages will be in the Sent folder. This is more like standard email clients albeit different than how Google does things on their web interface.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro