I noticed that in iOS 4.2.1, any time you tap on the search bar in Safari, it automatically shows a list of your search history. I have looked everywhere in the settings to turn this off and there doesn't seem to be any such setting. I even tried changing the search engine to Bing or Yahoo and it still does the same thing.

I think this is a real privacy concern, as I sometimes have friends and co-workers that ask to borrow my phone to search for something, and it automatically shoves a list of my search history in their face.

The only workaround is to open Google.com in Safari and be sure to turn off the history function in google.

BTW, I am not talking about the auto complete feature.

Take a look at an example image.

Any ideas here?
    11-30-2010 07:37 PM
    Yes I think that is horrible too. I hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it. It's been doing it for awhile though, not just the most recent release.
    11-30-2010 09:12 PM
    Open safari, hit bookmarks, on the very top it will show a history folder,open it and it shows your search history, on the bottom you well see a clear button, hit it and it well clear your history!
    ghostface147 likes this.
    11-30-2010 09:45 PM
    What the hell. Ugh. How could I have missed that!?!?!?!?? Amateur mistake, but thanks.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 11-30-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    11-30-2010 10:27 PM
    Yes, I realize how to clear the history. But I don't want to have to clear it constantly. It never did this before and I wish I could turn it off.
    12-01-2010 12:08 PM
    Yeah, upon further review, this only clears the entire history. I want to specifically erase searches I've done without messing with the history of sites I've visited.
    12-01-2010 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD