Safari Search History in iOS 4.2.1

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that in iOS 4.2.1, any time you tap on the search bar in Safari, it automatically shows a list of your search history. I have looked everywhere in the settings to turn this off and there doesn't seem to be any such setting. I even tried changing the search engine to Bing or Yahoo and it still does the same thing.

I think this is a real privacy concern, as I sometimes have friends and co-workers that ask to borrow my phone to search for something, and it automatically shoves a list of my search history in their face.

The only workaround is to open Google.com in Safari and be sure to turn off the history function in google.

BTW, I am not talking about the auto complete feature.

Take a look at an example image.

Any ideas here?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes I think that is horrible too. I hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it. It's been doing it for awhile though, not just the most recent release.

jmagda1

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Open safari, hit bookmarks, on the very top it will show a history folder,open it and it shows your search history, on the bottom you well see a clear button, hit it and it well clear your history!

Reactions: ghostface147

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I realize how to clear the history. But I don't want to have to clear it constantly. It never did this before and I wish I could turn it off.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, upon further review, this only clears the entire history. I want to specifically erase searches I've done without messing with the history of sites I've visited.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner