Official 4.2 bug report/trouble-shooting thread

adamrefan

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm noticing what I think a bug, Everytime since I've updated new songs on my iPhone 4 after the last update, album art will not be displayed on the lockscreen but will be fine on the music screen. It has even happened for songs I bought right off of iTunes, so I don't think it's anything that I'm doing.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Both my dad and me are getting calls failed on Vodafone UK. Have both been to Apple store and had iPhones replaced and both have new SIM cards from carrier.

Following the advice from a genius we both set up the phone as new devices but still having problem. This happens when we both have a full signal on 2g or 3g and when connected/not connected to Wi-Fi. Halfway through the call the signal will just go completely and will fail, we are then unable to retry for around 30 seconds whilst the signal is recovering.

So far today I have had 11 call failed from friends on Vodafone UK and on other networks so it has to be something local to the phone which we both have in common..... you would think!

We only have 4 apps in common..... Met Office (weather app), Highways Agency (traffic info), My Vodafone (carrier info) and Natwest (Mobile banking). I have removed all the apps and am still getting the problem which suggests it's not the apps.

We both have mulitple email accounts set up and various email methods. I have IMAP, POP and Exchange whilst he has IMAPx2 POP and Exchange. I have taken ALL my email accounts off and STILL have the problem.

Neither of us use Facetime but we have switched it on/off with no effect!

Does anyone have any idea at all! I'm loosing business because of this. I shouldn't have to use my iPhone without emails or the apps I want just to keep a phone call going! Surely there are others who use the same combination of apps/emails as we do!

I've also tried with NO personal data at all and have restored around 10 times.

Thanks for any advise at all. Really getting desparate now. I love my iPhone but can't continue with it if this keeps happening!

iPhone 4 16gb
iOS 4.2.1
Vodafone UK 9.0
Modem: 03.10.01

Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
1. New bug to 4.2.1-- when I use my Bluetooth headset to voice dial someone, the audio of the voice dialer prompts is almost inaudible and doesn't get any louder even if I turn up the Bluetooth. However when it starts to dial the number it's much louder and the volume can be adjusted. I have tried multiple Bluetooth headsets and I have even had my iPhone replaced and it is the same behavior.

2. Also new-- I have also noticed Safari is much slower but other apps that access the internet are just as fast as before the update.

An Ongoing issue from the beginning that was the reason I had my iPhone replaced but didn't fix, I still have problems with the iPhone forgetting the router's passkey info and Bluetooth also disconnects at random.

My big question is, what is the best way to get apple to actually understand that they have problems?
It's theraputic to vent in this forum and Apple's site but it doesn't seem like anyone at apple ever chimes in on their own forum let alone anywhere else. When I have called Apple support, they act like they have no knowledge of issues that have been all over the forums and they just end up replacing the phone which doesn't even fix the problem. Only a very few annointed fanboys seem to be blessed with a personal email from Steve Jobs that acknowledges on rare occasions that, yes Apple is working on a fix to...(insert your issue).
To me it seems like Apple (Steve Jobs) is somewhat like the Emperor with No Clothes. While the iPhone is a great product overall, it seems like there are some issues that are still outstanding that they want to pretend are not there and it appears nobody wants to deal with them.

I'm not trying to get flamed here, but this is my first Apple product and from where I stand, I think a little bit of openess from Apple would go a long way if they acknowledged that they are just even looking into issues.

carcustomizer

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm noticing what I think a bug, Everytime since I've updated new songs on my iPhone 4 after the last update, album art will not be displayed on the lockscreen but will be fine on the music screen. It has even happened for songs I bought right off of iTunes, so I don't think it's anything that I'm doing.
I've had this problem too!

As well as: slow Safari; the Maps app crashing sometimes when selecting an address from Contacts; random disconnects through Bluetooth.

Running iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.1

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
There is a big 4.2.1 WiFi issue for some people getting no media attention.

The 4.2 release was delayed by wifi issues. For some users there us a big wifi issue after installing. If you have the problem you experience one or both of the following:
slow internet (thought to be dns related) slow email and browsing and videos that time out
wifi that hangs 5 minutes of no internet activity. Turning airplane mode on and off brings it back until the next time you sleep your screen. This is related a combo of the following: your router and settings, amount of interference, strength of signal, the iPad hardware itself and how sensitive to signal strength.
Rolling back to 3.2.2 fixes it entirely. To see how big the problem is you can do a quick search if rpthe apple forums. Thevgood news is that apple has engaged some users and collected info about their setup. So hopefully a fix is in the works.
The bad news is that no one is writing about the issue that is effecting a lot of people. This would help to getva fix faster. The other badcthingbis that apples support staff are not aware of the issue. And worse posts in the apple forum to show people how to downgrade temporarily are being removed as are some posts asking people to elevate the issue with the press.
Imagine the headlines: Apple releases update with some users having big wifi issues Or Apple not acknkowledging big flaw in latest iPad update removes posts telling people how to downgrade to be able to use their broken devices
Ok I?m not a writer but you get the point.
Cheers.

rbiowa

Aug 16, 2008
Visit site
Cannot find server

Since the update, Safari will frequently post an error that it 'cannot locate the server'. This occurs even when I'm on a particular website and just pressing the 'back' button. The only way I can clear the error is to open Settings and clear the cache, cookies and history. It doesn't happen on every site, but is annoying just the same. Anyone experiencing this?

OKBatman

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Two things

I've noticed two bugs:

1) The keyboard doesn't disappear from the main text message list screen (i.e., the screen where all your texts to different people are listed). Annoying.

2) I don't know if this happens with any other app, but if I have "What's App" app installed, and try to save an attached video, rather than say "Save Video" like it normally would, it only gives you the option to "Open in What's App" which is ridiculously annoying, because that does nothing other than open the app. The only way you can save the video attachment is to delete the "What's App" app, save the video, and then reinstall the app. Stooooopid!

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a bug with SMS messages. It goes something like this:

Receive a text from Person A. You DON'T slide to view.
Receive a text from Person B. You DO slide to view.

iPhone opens up Messages and shows the message from Person A instead of Person B.

Anyone else noticing this?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Noticed same issue! I actually replied to the wrong person yesterday and got back a "Huh?" response because of this. Have never noticed it before the recent update.

I've also noticed a few iPod bugs...the album art is one of them, with the same symptoms as mentioned above. I've also noticed that my podcasts run a portion of the show and then it goes on to the next show for some reason. I've had it happen about 5 times, but it's never a consistent time or anything.

My proximity sensor seems to be back at the ****ty performance i experiencing before...very frustrating.

anon(4244158)

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Same on my iPod Touch! But it started showing on the lockscreen after a while... Don't know why...

Salil

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Previously, I would be able to start a video, go to the home screen, turn off the iphone using the sleep/wake button on top, turn on the phone, click the home button twice. This used to give me the video controls which if I pressed play would play the sound of the video and I would be free to use the other apps. However, after the upgrade when I click the play button on the home screen it immediately turns to the pause button and then back to the play button and won't play the video anymore.

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I am on 4.2.1 and have been having problems downloading some apps. Sometimes the app will get stuck on trying to Install an app, and I am using an iPhone 4. I am not jailbroken, and when I reboot, it usually is fixed.

jnjewlz

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I find 4.2 to be sluggish in general. I've never had the iPhone lock up until after this upgrade. Apps at time stall in the middle of downloading. I only download on via a very "fat" internet connection at home. App switching is slower and sometimes I end up hitting icons twice as I dont feel it launched. Seems like the memory management tweaks came at the expense of speed and fluidity.

foxybanjo

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
4.2 upgrade drains battery

All,

I have been having a terrible problem since upgrading to 4.2 a couple of weeks ago. At least I think its a 4.2 upgrade issue. Until then, battery life seemed ok. After it now drains at a 9-11% per hour rate on standby. This is with notifications off, location services off, bluetooth off, no chat apps running, nothing. Before the issue started a couple of weeks ago I used to leave all of these things (but chat apps) on and all was fine. Now even with these things off it drains like a siv. My phone literally won't last all day on standby, much less if I'm using it.
If its not the 4.2 upgrade then its a funny coincidence. Here is one other odd detail. If I shut wifi off for a while and turn it on, sometimes this fixes it - it drains at a more normal 1% per hour on standby. However, it is only temporary and it soon starts draining again. So it seems wifi, data related.
I suppose its possible some app that has updated also since then is the culprit, but how do you tell? I have gone to the multi-task switcher and closed everything, it still drains?
The fact that sometimes I can temporarily fix the issue if I shut off and then turn back on wifi would indicate the battery is not physically defective, but a software issue.
I have looked at a few others iPhone forums and for sure some small minority of other users are also seeing this behavior, but most aren't. So I can't get any official acknowledgement of this issues existence. But at the end of the day with all the mentioned services shut off it still drains at 10% per hour not being touched on standby. As such my iphone is a paper weight, and not much more. Any thoughts before I sell my junky paper weight that used to be a cool device?

foxybanjo

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
re: 4.2 upgrade drains battery

An update on this issue. After scanning the apple forums it seems a significant minority of people have battery drain issues after doing upgrades, not specific to 4.2. There are many tricks people post as to how to get around the issue, the most drastic of which is to factory reset your phone and try to reload everything. For me I found the issue was PUSH mail delivery. If I disable it, all is well, if I enable it I drain 10-15% per hour on standby. For now I have disabled it, and will try to delete and re-add my email accounts in hopes it will resolve it so I can put push mail back on. Kinda sucks that I just can't use that as an option after an upgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2