Official 4.2 bug report/trouble-shooting thread

Mountaineerfan

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
So far I'm very happy with the performance on my 3G! I'm due for an upgraded phone in May, and I wasn't sure I would make it until then with 4.1! There is a noticeable performance change on my phone! I am irritated that I can't activate FindMyiPhone, though....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed ZERO battery effect (good or bad), my proximity sensor issue seems to be minimal now (a noticeable change which tells me there was some update to it in this 4.2), iOS seems to be running the same, no changes there.

The only thing i noticed was that my tethering service was acting a little wacky at first, and i had to go back into my mac's network settings and tell it that it was good to go...its fine now but i kind of went huh? when it asked me to verify the iPhone for tethering.

Also, the voicemail password thing, but that's happened on almost every update ive done.

Rayman2170

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
Technically anybody can get find my iPhone on any 4.2 device you just have to make a find my iPhone account on an iPhone 4 first. I'd say just visit your local apple store, set it up on one of their display iphone 4s. Once done you should be able to use the account on your iPhone. Obviously deleting it off the stores phone once your done. I did this with my fathers account on his 3GS with my iPhone 4.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Battery life did NOT improve, in fact it has gotten significantly worse...

battery has been the same for me as it was with 4.1 but with 4.2 GM, battery life was worse. Then 4.2.1 GM and now official took it back to how it was to 4.1. Thats just my observation though

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
anyone else having their phone vibrate for an SMS in their ear while on a call now? Extremely annoying.

edit:
Phone is set to ring with vibrate on. Didn't do this before the update to 4.2.1

Last edited:

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
anyone having an issue with the facebook app since the update? mine crashes constantly and my browser is slower than before....

My FB is working just fine. I'm not impressed with the new ringtones at all. :(
I've seen no change in my battery life. I'm setting up Find my iPhone now and will post if I have any issues. Good to know I need to set it up on iPhone4 before setting up on my ipod touch. i'm going to try to set it up on MY Iphone4 and then deleting it once its done. If that won't work, I'll go to the Apple store as suggested. :)

Set up Find my iPhone using my own iPhone (then deleting the app) and installed it on my ipod touch. I like it!!

Last edited:

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed ZERO battery effect (good or bad), my proximity sensor issue seems to be minimal now (a noticeable change which tells me there was some update to it in this 4.2), iOS seems to be running the same, no changes there.

The only thing i noticed was that my tethering service was acting a little wacky at first, and i had to go back into my mac's network settings and tell it that it was good to go...its fine now but i kind of went huh? when it asked me to verify the iPhone for tethering.

Also, the voicemail password thing, but that's happened on almost every update ive done.

As the evening has gone on I've noticed more and more this voicemail password popping up. First night its ever done this to me. What is this?

reesrk8

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
I have just installed 4.2.1 on my 3GS and have noticed that the new tones are not included.
Is this correct for 3GS?
thx
Rog

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Correct, 3GS did not get the message tones.

I had the visual voicemail password thing pop up once when i first tried to access it, and after inputting the PW, it has not come up again...are you sure you're putting the voicemail password in and not your phone's password (for lock out and stuff)? My wife had the problem and it turned out she kept inputting her unlock password, and not her actual voicemail password.

Reactions: Ariyala

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
One thing that I've noticed with 4.2.1 on my iPhone is a much farther range with my bluetooth headset (S9-HD). With 4.1 Apple introduced AVRCP which was great. I also noticed an improvement in overall sound quality with 4.1 but the range seemed to have decreased. Now with 4.2.1 I can walk father away from my iPhone than before and still hear music that sounds as good as it did with 4.1.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ravi14

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
iOS 4.2.1 problems/issues

Hi, Yes'day I updated to 4.2.1 anf found these issues

Some times network signals are dropping
When I select "Network" it was taking some time to show Network settings
Does any one face this type of problems

And how ab battery ?

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Yes'day I updated to 4.2.1 anf found these issues

Some times network signals are dropping
When I select "Network" it was taking some time to show Network settings
Does any one face this type of problems

And how ab battery ?

you mean you are still having wifi issues?

So far I had no issues with wifi, nor issues with the battery.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So I've been so happy with 4.2.1, none of the nightmares I went through with 4.1. It seems that may have been too early to celebrate? I'll have to wait and see :( I have an iPhone 4, it's never been jailbroken since it was bought.

This morning I'm listening to music and I get a text message. The tone stops halfway through ringing and the music stops I look at my phone and it is showing the apple logo, it rebooted. It wasn't a full reboot though because it only took about 3 seconds after I looked at the screen that I was back at the lockscreen.

Then I got another text message, I go to type an poof no keyboard lol, I tried in both orientations and even exited the messages app and went back in. The keyboard didn't come up until I exited the message and went back in to it. I'm using the new tones so maybe something funky going on there? I did a reboot and I will see if anything happens again.
img001501.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR