Hey everyone...

Tell me that I made the right choice by buying my wife and I 2 new 3GS's....doing tons of research, I was actually leaning towards a couple of droids, but it was cost that was holding us back. I mean, we walked out of AT&T with 2 new phones for $212!! Sounds like a good deal to me! But now with the Christmas deals popping up, depending on where you shop, you could get a couple of Incredibles for under $200, or a Incredible and an X!

I realize that your opinions may be a little biased, but at the same time, I figured I could get your 2 cents. Maybe some of you have tried the latest droids and feel that as a whole that they still don't stand up to the iphone.

Also, before you say anything...we got the 3GS's cause of cost, we didn't have the extra $200 for 16GB iphone 4's.

Any and everything you can give me is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    11-20-2010 12:09 PM
    Hey everyone...

Tell me that I made the right choice by buying my wife and I 2 new 3GS's....doing tons of research, I was actually leaning towards a couple of droids, but it was cost that was holding us back. I mean, we walked out of AT&T with 2 new phones for $212!! Sounds like a good deal to me! But now with the Christmas deals popping up, depending on where you shop, you could get a couple of Incredibles for under $200, or a Incredible and an X!

I realize that your opinions may be a little biased, but at the same time, I figured I could get your 2 cents. Maybe some of you have tried the latest droids and feel that as a whole that they still don't stand up to the iphone.

Also, before you say anything...we got the 3GS's cause of cost, we didn't have the extra $200 for 16GB iphone 4's.

Any and everything you can give me is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

As an EVO owner, I say the eVO has got to be the best droid phone out there. 4G. Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi hotspot up to 8 devices. A handy kick stand, large 4.2" screen. Dual cameras. HTC sense UI really makes the device fell less geeky and more user friendly. I love how i can set up my contact list and link them with online services or simply add an online service like Facebook and get access to my contacts e-mail and phone numbers. (no need to add it manually, and when they change it, it changes on my phone!)

I never owned an iPhone. I wanted to, but AT&T wanted a $500 deposit. For $100 more I could buy the phone outright. Plus the plans did not suit me. At the moment I will be paying $69 a month, plus a extra $10 for 4G. I get unlimited data, text and data usage. Plus unlimited mobile to mobile and 450 landline minutes free. For me, Sprint has the better deal.

As for your question. Think of the plans with AT&T. compare them to lets say Verizon or Sprint. Will AT&Ts plans financially be fine with you? You may have saved on two $100 phones, but would the cost each month hit a damper in your pocket?
    11-20-2010 01:10 PM
    Chris is almost right here. You need to choose your carrier first, then the phone. If you are locked into being an AT&T customer, the iPhone is hands-down the best phone they have to offer.

Sprint is absolutely cheaper, but their tech support is the worst - they don't know their own network or the devices they carry. That being said, as Chris pointed out, the Evo is nice. But it's no iPhone - not even the 3GS. It's a lot more work than the iPhone for the average user - it's not intuitive.
    11-20-2010 01:49 PM
    ChrisGonzales90

I think you just helped answer the question. We (my wife and I) were with Sprint, and yes, hands down they have the best prices (we had a shared plan, 1500 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, data, and text for $133...including all the taxes!! Mind you, my wife works for the state so we get 15% off our bill) but....where we moved to in Forest Lake, MN, we couldn't even take calls at the dinner table, we always had to be about 30 feet from the house out in the driveway, if not all the way into the street! It sucked! We're living with some friends, and they both have iphones (one a 3GS and the other a 4)....and all the way down in the lowest level, where the water heater is...clear as a bell...we can hear everyone we call, and they can hear us!!

Had a friend come over that has a droid X, it was decent coverage, but his phone (through Verizon) started freakin out as he was walking up the driveway...it's like there's a force field around this little block of houses, LOL!

So with AT&T, the bill is higher, jumped up to about $160 (similar plan as Sprints), but the coverage is 4 or 5 bars all day long....so for us the coverage makes up for the price!

Anyone can keep the opinions coming...still have an open ear to people that might've tried em both, and why they like one over the other.

One more thing, we both made upgrades, especially my wife...she used to have a LG Rumor, and I had a Blackberry Curve 8330...so even a 3GS is leaps and bounds over those 2 phones!!

Thanks again everyone!
    11-20-2010 02:12 PM
    Chris is almost right here. You need to choose your carrier first, then the phone. If you are locked into being an AT&T customer, the iPhone is hands-down the best phone they have to offer.

Sprint is absolutely cheaper, but their tech support is the worst - they don't know their own network or the devices they carry. That being said, as Chris pointed out, the Evo is nice. But it's no iPhone - not even the 3GS. It's a lot more work than the iPhone for the average user - it's not intuitive.
    Really? I had to contract support regarding an issue with my bill and the agent was very helpful. I have noticed some complaints (notably on the Sprint Facebook page) but I had none so far. Plus I could always get my support first by googleing the issue or simply visiting a Sprint store.

and you are right. It is no iPhone. It does take some time getting used to the UI, even the Sense UI. My first few days I was a bit confused, but I wanted a "real" smartphone. There are some features I do wish the EVO had that that the iPhone does. (The biggest one is a higher res screen. Right now the colors on EVO's screen just about match that of the iPad. Colorful, but not eyes popping like the iPhone 4. Another one is removable storage. 8GB standard and I can expand up to 32GB, but for a price. (its like around $100 or so for a 32GB microSD-XC card, plus maybe a bit more if I got an adapter )

ChrisGonzales90

I think you just helped answer the question. We (my wife and I) were with Sprint, and yes, hands down they have the best prices (we had a shared plan, 1500 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, data, and text for $133...including all the taxes!! Mind you, my wife works for the state so we get 15% off our bill) but....where we moved to in Forest Lake, MN, we couldn't even take calls at the dinner table, we always had to be about 30 feet from the house out in the driveway, if not all the way into the street! It sucked! We're living with some friends, and they both have iphones (one a 3GS and the other a 4)....and all the way down in the lowest level, where the water heater is...clear as a bell...we can hear everyone we call, and they can hear us!!

Had a friend come over that has a droid X, it was decent coverage, but his phone (through Verizon) started freakin out as he was walking up the driveway...it's like there's a force field around this little block of houses, LOL!

So with AT&T, the bill is higher, jumped up to about $160 (similar plan as Sprints), but the coverage is 4 or 5 bars all day long....so for us the coverage makes up for the price!

Anyone can keep the opinions coming...still have an open ear to people that might've tried em both, and why they like one over the other.

One more thing, we both made upgrades, especially my wife...she used to have a LG Rumor, and I had a Blackberry Curve 8330...so even a 3GS is leaps and bounds over those 2 phones!!

Thanks again everyone!
    Hey, no problem. If youre willing to pay a bit more, but get better coverage then go ahead and stick with AT&T.

Are you still under your 30 days?
    11-20-2010 02:40 PM
    yup, still under the 30 days...getting close though....and some of the reviews I've read on AT&T's droid phones, hasn't been all that great.

Verizons plans out here are the same price as AT&T's, but like I said, their coverage was decent here at the house, but AT&T's signal is amazing here...all the way down in the concrete basement, still 4 bars!!
    11-20-2010 02:53 PM
    I would've waited until Cricket gets the iPhone 6.
    11-20-2010 02:55 PM
    iPhone def right choice for AT&T
    11-20-2010 03:12 PM
    iPhone def right choice for AT&T
    Your a bit laste in saying that. More like like four years late.

I would've waited until Cricket gets the iPhone 6.
    Cricket sucks. Period.
    11-20-2010 03:17 PM
    If AT&T has the best coverage for you then go with them. If the others, Verizon and Sprint, have poorer service why would you consider getting a phone from them?

It really comes down to what you want to do with your phone and comfort level of operating them. Android has a lot more options and takes some work to use but once you figure it out you will be fine. With the iPhone it's almost like a set it and forget it.

Did you check out any Windows Phone's at AT&T? Why just Android or an iPhone?
    11-20-2010 03:39 PM
    Never heard of Cricket....just looked it up though...and it's hard for me to jump on those online companies...the ones that offer insane deals that sound too good to be true...like Cricket, Wirefly etc...
    11-20-2010 03:42 PM
    Never heard of Cricket....just looked it up though...and it's hard for me to jump on those online companies...the ones that offer insane deals that sound too good to be true...like Cricket, Wirefly etc...
    Crickit, like Boost, Virgin mobile etc is a pre-paid cell phone company. Its not an "online company" as they actually have retial stores you can go in to and buy phones and service (Sprint owns boost mobile and Virgin mobile, so if you go in to a Sprint store, chances are you will find some of their mobile phones)

I had been with both Cricket and boost before and the deals are the truth. You pay the set price, you do not have any contracts or credit checks. Great for kids, people on a fixed income or people who don't want to deal with pesky contracts or overages. Crickit, Boost and Vergin run off a CDMA network (with some phones off the IDEN network with the walkie talkie) boost and Vergin mobile run off Sprints towers and Cricket from what I heard runs off Sprint and Verizon's.

downsize is, the phones are usully crap. Plus their service is not always the best, since you are on prepaid, you may get service, but at a low wattage or lower data speeds.

Usually their plans are better then lets say AT&T or Verizons pre-paid, since you have the option to get unlimted everything for around $50 bucks a month rather pay by min or pay by day.
    11-20-2010 07:23 PM
    Doesn't Cricket run off Verizon's network? One of those companies that buys air time in bulk and then resells it as prepaid service. Virgin is the same and I thought Sprint actually owned Boost.
    11-20-2010 08:29 PM
    Doesn't Cricket run off Verizon's network? One of those companies that buys air time in bulk and then resells it as prepaid service. Virgin is the same and I thought Sprint actually owned Boost.
    Not sure. I think it runs off both Verizon and sprint.You roam on Crickit, when you don't on Boost. But Sprint owns both Boost and Virgin mobile. Whats funny is, there is no referencthat they are owned by Sprint unless you dig deep in to the "about us page"
    11-20-2010 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD