I have been getting confusing info from various "friends" about ringtones & the iPhone4. I have about 20 ringtones that i made, on my BB9000. Will they be transferred over to the iPhone? Can i attach one of those ringtones to a contact as phone, and another one as e-mail? This will be a brand new iPhone and i don't want to jailbreak it if i don't have to. I also get "sports alerts" at end of games. These come into the BB in the form of sms "text" messages. Will they also be transferred to the iPhone, and can i edit them so they each have their own ringtone? (I love to hear the ND fight song). Thanks for any positive info that i can get.
    11-15-2010 08:18 PM
    Ringtones can be converted to be used from BB to ip4. In the top right hand corner there is a search button just type in a few keywords and search through the threads that pop up.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-15-2010 08:27 PM
    Without jailbreaking, you cannot assign anything but the standard set of tones to texts... and it's one ringtone for ALL... there are apps to do something like that for emails (mailtones) but it requires that you forward your emails to their service and then they come back to you with special ringtones... kludge at best... and could be an issue if you have privacy concerns...
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-15-2010 08:28 PM
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-16-2010 07:40 AM
    Without jailbreaking, you cannot assign anything but the standard set of tones to texts... and it's one ringtone for ALL... there are apps to do something like that for emails (mailtones) but it requires that you forward your emails to their service and then they come back to you with special ringtones... kludge at best... and could be an issue if you have privacy concerns...
    You cant assign separate tones for txts but you can assign ringtones to separate contacts.

Go to the contact and hit edit, then scroll to the ringtone line and select what you like. If it says default then whatever you have as the primary ringtone will be used.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-16-2010 09:25 AM
    You cant assign separate tones for txts but you can assign ringtones to separate contacts.

Go to the contact and hit edit, then scroll to the ringtone line and select what you like. If it says default then whatever you have as the primary ringtone will be used.
    O.K. Let me get this straight in my brain(i don't have much left) by giving you an example. When my wife's sister calls my phone, i want to hear my Darth Vader ringtone. When she sends me an e-mail, i want to hear my Darth Sidious ringtone. If this can be done, then i know that the Force is with me!
    11-16-2010 10:00 AM
    you can have it ring the Darth Vader ringtone when she calls, but not when you get an email from her.

BTW, When my wife calls me it is the Darth Vader Ringtone and when she sends me a txt it is Darth Vader breathing ( I am jailbroken and you can set txt alert tones with JB apps) So good choice of sounds
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-16-2010 10:09 AM
    you can have it ring the Darth Vader ringtone when she calls, but not when you get an email from her.

BTW, When my wife calls me it is the Darth Vader Ringtone and when she sends me a txt it is Darth Vader breathing ( I am jailbroken and you can set txt alert tones with JB apps) So good choice of sounds
    Thanks again. I'll have to look into this jailbreak thing, because i need advance warning of her communications. I believe that she is a Sith Lord, and may one day rule the galaxy!
    11-16-2010 10:44 AM
    LOL I love this thread, also for the contacts you assign with different tones doesn't the phone have to have call display? if it doesn't then the phone wont know which number is calling and which tone to play. I know many might know this and call display might be a necessity but just wanted to throw it out there. Yeah Jailbreak isn't difficult especially when you don't require to unlock your phone just go to the Jailbreak forum you're already on the darkside This is the only thing that has me thinking of JBing my i4 after 4.2 comes out. The custom SMS tones.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-16-2010 03:30 PM
    good info.
    thks.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    11-16-2010 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD