Is it normal for the iPhone 4 to alert me of a text message multiple times if I don't dismiss the first alert?

Like I'll get a message and the alert will go off. If I unlock my phone after the alert it will not alert me again (even if don't actually open the SMS app).

But sometimes I'll get a message and just read it from the alert and not actually unlock my phone. Then I'll get another alert for the same message like 5 minutes later. If I still don't unlock the phone I believe it'll alert me a third time. I can't remember.

This is starting to get annoying. Anyone else having this problem? Any way I can make it so I only get alerted once?
    11-12-2010 05:51 PM
    I am having the same alerts and wonder how to disable it too, It is annoying at times.
    11-12-2010 06:58 PM
    Settings>Messages>Repeat Alert>Off

That's all there is to it.
    11-12-2010 09:04 PM
    Hahaha! I swear I looked in there to see if there was a way to stop it. I thought it was a bug this whole time. Thank you!
    11-13-2010 12:31 AM

yeah i was experiencing this issue as well
    figured it out earlier today.
    11-16-2010 09:42 PM
    But sometimes I'll get a message and just read it from the alert and not actually unlock my phone. Then I'll get another alert for the same message like 5 minutes later. If I still don't unlock the phone I believe it'll alert me a third time. I can't remember.
    i always did that and it was really annoying until i figured it out
    11-17-2010 03:00 AM

I don't have this setting on my 4S. If they removed it, I am going to be really pissed.
    10-15-2011 07:07 PM
    For iOS 5, it would be Settings>Notifications>Messages>Repeat Alert. Had to look myself when I didn't see it in the original location.
    Knocks likes this.
    10-15-2011 07:42 PM
    Thank god. Thanks!
    10-15-2011 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD