I have recently installed windows 7 on my laptop, having previously had xp, and had to do a clean install of the software, instead of an upgrade, as such, formatting my harddrive along the way.

I have installed itunes 10 again, and when i try to sync it comes up with a message saying "are you sure you want to sync apps? (or whatever else i happen to want to sync) All existing apps and their data on the iphone will be replaced with apps from this itunes library"

I have tried authorising my computer again (and it is now saying this is the 3rd computer i have authorised, despite it being the only one i have ever used), and also transferring purchases, and backing up my iphone, and then restoring from the back up. But despite all this none of my music apart from what i have paid for through itunes is showing up in the itunes library on my comp, and none of new apps are there.

If anyone can shed light on this i would be very grateful! :-)
    11-09-2010 09:31 PM
    In order for the music to show up on your computer, you have to have it on your computer - unless you use a 3rd party app to sync the music back to your computer.

Unless you deauthorized your computer before installing 7, it will consider this as a new computer authorized on your account.

You'll also have to download the apps again to your computer.
    11-09-2010 10:08 PM
    More than likely many others will have a better suggestion, but here is my solution based upon my experience.

Surely you only copied the music to your iPhone, so you still have the original music somewhere? On CDs, external drives, or something.

If you have a lot of music and it is very important to you, and you don't have any backups of it, you might consider buying WideAngleSoftware's TouchCopy9. I did and it works well for me. Unfortunately it is $24.95 on it's web site. With this program you can copy all the music off of any iPod or iPhone, but not iPad, as of now.

For the back up purchases on your iPhone, sync and restore with the copies of your music and the backups from your apps. I believe any apps on your iPhone that you bought and are registered to your account will be backed up and then restored easily.

I just went to the iTunes store menu and re authorized this computer. The pop up said this computer is all ready authorized as number two out of my five available. Perhaps it would take a free phone call or email to Apple.com to un authorize any computer you no longer use.

Finally, your iTunes account will have a record, easily accessable, of all purchases you have made on iTunes. Re download all of your apps for free. Non purchased music is something you will have to solve yourself.

Hope this helps. We'll see if anyone has an easier solution. Good luck.
    11-09-2010 10:28 PM
    It really depends on if you backed up all your media to an external location before upgrading your PC. If not you will need third party software to get it off your iPhone and onto the PC. Authorizing your computer has nothing to do with syncing. In iTunes go to your account management and you can deauthorize all computers with one click (you can do this once per year) and then authorize your PC again.

The iPhone syncs with one iTunes library only so you pretty much have to start over. You can download apps again for free by looking at your download history in the account management of iTunes.
    11-10-2010 12:24 AM
    thanks for all the replies guys.

I do have my music elsewhere on an external harddrive so i guess i can work around that part. And although i have "transferred purchases" to my itunes im still unsure about it but i can always write down a list off all my apps to make sure i download them again.

I'm a little more worried about content which is not purchased, such as all my info in the apple notes app, will i lose this? and also things like my contacts, which usually would be synced with my google contacts if had been able to sync lol!

Also, for all the apps which have been transferred back as "purchases" will i keep the user data within them or will it be lost?

thanks in advance again!
    11-10-2010 06:53 PM
    I used SharePod (free) to move all my music from IP4 to Win7 laptop when I reformatted. Worked like a charm.
    11-14-2010 07:22 AM
    I'm not sure if I can help you but I can tell you what you should have done before the reload and that might help you for the future. All the media for iTunes is kept in the iTunes folder under My Music. So before the reload you should sync, transfer the purchases and backup the phone. Then you needed to copy this folder entirely to an external source. Then de-authorize the computer, this step is not as important because like sting7k saix which I didn't know ther is another way to de-authorize them. Then once you reload the computer copy the iTunes folder back to the computer in the exact location it was in before ie. My Music authorize the computer and sync. The phone will pick everything up just like before. If you have this folder externally copy it back now, de-authorize all computers and re-authorize the computer again and sync.
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 11-14-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: correction
    11-14-2010 08:20 AM
    I'm not seeing a way to de-authorize all computers...
    11-14-2010 09:40 AM
    Nevermind.... Found this.

To deauthorize all computers associated with your account

If you find you have reached 5 authorizations, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.

Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.
    If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
    Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
    In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.
    Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers, or if you have used this option within the last 12 months. If you need assistance on using this feature, please contact the iTunes Store support via email (Apple - Support - iTunes - World Wide).
    11-14-2010 09:44 AM
    I just finally synced after making sure i knew everything i had..... and the only thing it removed from my iphone was the music!

I didn't expect it to go this well, i backed up my iphone and transferred purchases etc etc but i still thought id lose everything because it thought i was trying to pirate the apps or something!

im so glad!
    11-18-2010 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD