Alright Iphone 4 Guru's. Whats the advantages to jail braking this thing? We all know whats the downside can be (ie bricking the phone).

I see all the Droids being root kitted and they have a blast with it. So talk to me - What are some things you can do with a jailbroken Iphone - besides tethering?
    xes1972 likes this.
    11-08-2010 12:46 PM
    Finally change your sms tone. (See the pick of the week post on the front page from Saturday.)
    LockInfo to get the WinPho feel and Android type notifications.
    11-08-2010 01:02 PM
    I use iFile to change SMS and Mail tones. It also make the phone feel like a real computer with a file system you can navigate.

iRealSMS is a Messages.app replacement. I love the ability to respond to texts without leaving the app I'm in or unlocking my phone.

If you're interested in making your phone look different, then themes with winterboard are awesome. Unfortunately, the only theme i've ever been interested in (Vivid) has not been redone to accommodate the Retina display.

SBSettings gives you quick access to functions like turning off bluetooth or wi-fi without having to go down layers into the Setting.app.

Just a few reasons why I jailbreak. I have a few others like CyContact and CyDelete and a tweak that allows you to delete one call at a time (can't remember the name right now).

I've never heard of anyone bricking their phone by jailbreaking. I've jailbroken at least a dozen of my friends phones without an issue ever.

CAUTION: iFile is not a toy, if you delete the wrong system files, I wouldn't doubt you could brick your phone.
    11-08-2010 04:08 PM
    hiya, I was considering same as the OP and looking forward to more opinions and suggestions... the only thing i am a bit upset about is the new mail / new text sound i have to change that as i never know if its my phone or someone else's phone.

I checked lockinfo's website very nice tool... makes it look like bb's home screen.

<edit>Also after jailbreak... does the jailbreak have any effect on itunes syncing capability... i.e with outlook and audio/video? Would itunes backup make a backup of jail broken data or how does that work? i.e if i "restore" the phone would i have to jailbreak and install all the apps i installed from cydia again or they are stored in the backup?</edit>
    Last edited by porksoda; 11-08-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    11-08-2010 04:49 PM
    You cant brick your phone. There is a forum for this subject...
    11-08-2010 05:31 PM
    I'm scared to do it.
    11-08-2010 06:22 PM
    We all know whats the downside can be (ie bricking the phone).
    Highly unlikely to brick your phone.
    11-08-2010 06:27 PM
    i'm also scared of doing.. i like it the way it is though so i probably won't mess around with it.
    11-08-2010 06:33 PM
    I was apprehensive to j/b my phone but after spending a couple of hours looking into it took the plunge. I'm so glad I did.. I loved te way the iPhone was before but now I can tweak it to just how I like it. That's the beauty, you can do as much or as little as you want to it when jailbroken.
    I haven't done much to mind but my favourite things so far are changed my carrier to 'Chinaman', I have Metal Gear Solid tones and the piece de resistance... The sound of a lightsaber powering up and down when I unlock and lock my phone... Simple things :P app wise.. BiteSMS, Mxtube, Winterboard, five icon dock, gridlock to name a few.
    11-08-2010 07:17 PM
    LockInfo...'nuff said...
    11-08-2010 08:26 PM
    I think for me personally i would only want to change the sounds... lot of different apps are very functional and fantastic but they cost $$$. For a phone i just paid 800 bucks for that i will probably upgrade next year i don't think i want to spend any more money on.

I am in the habit of buying a new phone within the year at most... so far ip4 has been great at everything it does minus a few things obviously.

I see after jailbreaking its like you can have your cake and eat it too (but you have to pay for it).
    11-08-2010 08:47 PM
    #teamjailbreak
    11-08-2010 09:19 PM
    I put off getting the iP4 until the prox bug was fixed AND there was a good jailbreak for iOS 4.1. Yes, I'd rather have a jailbroken 3Gs than an un-jailbroken 4.

If you ask what my favorite JB app is, I'd have to say it's a tie between Lockinfo and SBSettings. Now that I've gotten used to them they are must-have. SBSettings is free and Lockinfo is a bargain when you consider what it gives you.

Go ahead and do the jailbreak NOW before iOS4.2 drops. You'll never look back. I personally had the best luck with Greenpois0n; it worked for me on my iP4 and my wife's iP3Gs.
    11-09-2010 08:23 AM
    Why JB before 4.2; just purchased my phone - love it, but miss Pre notifications. I have used Tiny Umbrellla to save OS. How long does it often take before a stable OS patch is created? I would think some of the minor enhancements would be nice.
    11-09-2010 02:22 PM
    Why JB before 4.2; just purchased my phone - love it, but miss Pre notifications. I have used Tiny Umbrellla to save OS. How long does it often take before a stable OS patch is created? I would think some of the minor enhancements would be nice.
    4.2 can already be jailbroken. Problem is Cydia isn't updated hence no Jailbreak apps.
    11-09-2010 05:34 PM
    Why JB before 4.2
    I stated that because most jailbreak experts recommend a "restore as new" prior to jailbreaking. For most new jailbreakers, that means they will have to restore to the firmware that's currently being signed by Apple. Once 4.2 is out that's all that can be loaded - it could be weeks before a 4.2 JB is available.

If you've used TinyUmbrella to save the blobs then there's no hurry - you'll be able to restore to 4.1 even after 4.2 is out.

EDIT: I was unaware that the 4.2 JB is available, but without Cydia there's no reason to rush to a 4.2 JB.
    11-09-2010 05:42 PM
    IF and I mean ONLY IF you have Unlimited Data, then get MyWi! MyWi=Tethering for $20 ONCE, instead of paying att monthly. Oh and it works BEAUTIFULLY.
    11-09-2010 10:31 PM
    I really want to jailbreak my iPhone 4, but I am scared that the jailbreak has not been out long enough...anyone have any recommendations on waiting or going ahead with it. I know it is not possible to brick the device, but I don't want to be wasting hours of time getting it back to factory conditions. I really want to tether for free.
    11-09-2010 11:12 PM
    So after I upgraded to OS 4.2 Im still NOT content with apple's OS load. The biggest thing I see they did is enable SMS Unique identifyable tones. Big whop.

So That being said. Ive been looking at Red Sn0w apparently you can't let your phone die on juice or else you have to tether up before you power on again.

So what else does Jailbreaking do besides customize SMS Alert Tones.
    11-23-2010 08:21 AM
    ^^^ Did you have some strange idea that 4.2 was going to be more than just the SMS/MMS tone update? Did you bother to read any of the threads about the 4.2 GM edition and the preview of what exactly was included in the update? What exactly were you expecting to change in the "OS load" as you called it? Apple says "Improved performance" in every update because they include various streamlining updates with every OS update...

As far as your question about jailbreaking and "what does it do", do some homework there bud, a loaded question if there ever was one.
    11-23-2010 08:28 AM
    ^^^ Did you have some strange idea that 4.2 was going to be more than just the SMS/MMS tone update? Did you bother to read any of the threads about the 4.2 GM edition and the preview of what exactly was included in the update? What exactly were you expecting to change in the "OS load" as you called it? Apple says "Improved performance" in every update because they include various streamlining updates with every OS update...

As far as your question about jailbreaking and "what does it do", do some homework there bud, a loaded question if there ever was one.
    Sorry thought this was a forum where we could discuss what other users have experieinced with jail breaking.

Ive been reading the various threads about jailbreaking but I just want to see what the likes and dislikes are.

I did read the Apple release of what the iOS included on the new update.
    11-23-2010 08:32 AM
    Sorry thought this was a forum where we could discuss what other users have experieinced with jail breaking.

Ive been reading the various threads about jailbreaking but I just want to see what the likes and dislikes are.

I did read the Apple release of what the iOS included on the new update.
    So after reading the release you were some how surprised that there wasnt some incredible performance enhancement in the operating system of the phone? What release did YOU read?

As far as your first retort, sure...you can discuss jailbreak stuff, but since you want to be a smarta*s about it, i'll point out that the forum has a sub forum for jailbreak discussions, since you apparently missed that.
    11-23-2010 08:56 AM
    No, no, no... I dont jailbreak my iPhone. There isnt something special for me. I'm tired jailbreak long time ago ( 1st Gen iPhone, 3G since FW 1.0.2).
    11-23-2010 08:57 AM
    So after reading the release you were some how surprised that there wasnt some incredible performance enhancement in the operating system of the phone? What release did YOU read?

As far as your first retort, sure...you can discuss jailbreak stuff, but since you want to be a smarta*s about it, i'll point out that the forum has a sub forum for jailbreak discussions, since you apparently missed that.
    Dude - WTF pissed in your cereal this morning?

The release I read was this: Apple - iOS 4.2 Software Update

Like I said I didn't expect an overhaul completely I just thought it would be neat to see the latest greatest but everyone talks about how awesome jail breaking is.
    11-23-2010 09:09 AM
    The point was that there was no mention of an overhaul on the OS performance so i was simply asking you what you were expecting out of the update, your comment made it seem like you expected the world to change after the 4.2 update, but it was WIDELY discussed that the update was primarily for the iPad, NOT the iPhone, but they included a few little toys so that people would want to update, and cause chaos to the jailbreaking crews out there (though it really didnt).

So i was confused as to why someone would expect anything major for the iPhone out of this update, which is why i asked you initially. At that point you decided to point out this was a forum for discussion, and since you apparently had it all figured out, i thought id refer you to the jailbreak forum for further discussion on your (lol) detailed question "What does a jailbreak do exactly?"

Thanks for playing.
    11-23-2010 09:25 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD