Iphone 4 - Jailbreak or not?

NVMY03ION

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Alright Iphone 4 Guru's. Whats the advantages to jail braking this thing? We all know whats the downside can be (ie bricking the phone).

I see all the Droids being root kitted and they have a blast with it. So talk to me - What are some things you can do with a jailbroken Iphone - besides tethering?

Reactions: xes1972

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Finally change your sms tone. (See the pick of the week post on the front page from Saturday.)
LockInfo to get the WinPho feel and Android type notifications.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I use iFile to change SMS and Mail tones. It also make the phone feel like a real computer with a file system you can navigate.

iRealSMS is a Messages.app replacement. I love the ability to respond to texts without leaving the app I'm in or unlocking my phone.

If you're interested in making your phone look different, then themes with winterboard are awesome. Unfortunately, the only theme i've ever been interested in (Vivid) has not been redone to accommodate the Retina display.

SBSettings gives you quick access to functions like turning off bluetooth or wi-fi without having to go down layers into the Setting.app.

Just a few reasons why I jailbreak. I have a few others like CyContact and CyDelete and a tweak that allows you to delete one call at a time (can't remember the name right now).

I've never heard of anyone bricking their phone by jailbreaking. I've jailbroken at least a dozen of my friends phones without an issue ever.

CAUTION: iFile is not a toy, if you delete the wrong system files, I wouldn't doubt you could brick your phone.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
hiya, I was considering same as the OP and looking forward to more opinions and suggestions... the only thing i am a bit upset about is the new mail / new text sound i have to change that as i never know if its my phone or someone else's phone.

I checked lockinfo's website very nice tool... makes it look like bb's home screen.

<edit>Also after jailbreak... does the jailbreak have any effect on itunes syncing capability... i.e with outlook and audio/video? Would itunes backup make a backup of jail broken data or how does that work? i.e if i "restore" the phone would i have to jailbreak and install all the apps i installed from cydia again or they are stored in the backup?</edit>

Last edited:
May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was apprehensive to j/b my phone but after spending a couple of hours looking into it took the plunge. I'm so glad I did.. I loved te way the iPhone was before but now I can tweak it to just how I like it. That's the beauty, you can do as much or as little as you want to it when jailbroken.
I haven't done much to mind but my favourite things so far are changed my carrier to 'Chinaman', I have Metal Gear Solid tones and the piece de resistance... The sound of a lightsaber powering up and down when I unlock and lock my phone... Simple things :p app wise.. BiteSMS, Mxtube, Winterboard, five icon dock, gridlock to name a few.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I think for me personally i would only want to change the sounds... lot of different apps are very functional and fantastic but they cost $$$. For a phone i just paid 800 bucks for that i will probably upgrade next year i don't think i want to spend any more money on.

I am in the habit of buying a new phone within the year at most... so far ip4 has been great at everything it does minus a few things obviously.

I see after jailbreaking its like you can have your cake and eat it too (but you have to pay for it).

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I put off getting the iP4 until the prox bug was fixed AND there was a good jailbreak for iOS 4.1. Yes, I'd rather have a jailbroken 3Gs than an un-jailbroken 4.

If you ask what my favorite JB app is, I'd have to say it's a tie between Lockinfo and SBSettings. Now that I've gotten used to them they are must-have. SBSettings is free and Lockinfo is a bargain when you consider what it gives you.

Go ahead and do the jailbreak NOW before iOS4.2 drops. You'll never look back. I personally had the best luck with Greenpois0n; it worked for me on my iP4 and my wife's iP3Gs.

kevmiami#IM

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Why JB before 4.2; just purchased my phone - love it, but miss Pre notifications. I have used Tiny Umbrellla to save OS. How long does it often take before a stable OS patch is created? I would think some of the minor enhancements would be nice.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Why JB before 4.2; just purchased my phone - love it, but miss Pre notifications. I have used Tiny Umbrellla to save OS. How long does it often take before a stable OS patch is created? I would think some of the minor enhancements would be nice.

4.2 can already be jailbroken. Problem is Cydia isn't updated hence no Jailbreak apps.

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Why JB before 4.2

I stated that because most jailbreak experts recommend a "restore as new" prior to jailbreaking. For most new jailbreakers, that means they will have to restore to the firmware that's currently being signed by Apple. Once 4.2 is out that's all that can be loaded - it could be weeks before a 4.2 JB is available.

If you've used TinyUmbrella to save the blobs then there's no hurry - you'll be able to restore to 4.1 even after 4.2 is out.

EDIT: I was unaware that the 4.2 JB is available, but without Cydia there's no reason to rush to a 4.2 JB.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
IF and I mean ONLY IF you have Unlimited Data, then get MyWi! MyWi=Tethering for $20 ONCE, instead of paying att monthly. Oh and it works BEAUTIFULLY.

Chill0987

May 19, 2009
www.iphone3gscreenrepair.com
I really want to jailbreak my iPhone 4, but I am scared that the jailbreak has not been out long enough...anyone have any recommendations on waiting or going ahead with it. I know it is not possible to brick the device, but I don't want to be wasting hours of time getting it back to factory conditions. I really want to tether for free.

NVMY03ION

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So after I upgraded to OS 4.2 Im still NOT content with apple's OS load. The biggest thing I see they did is enable SMS Unique identifyable tones. Big whop.

So That being said. Ive been looking at Red Sn0w apparently you can't let your phone die on juice or else you have to tether up before you power on again.

So what else does Jailbreaking do besides customize SMS Alert Tones.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Did you have some strange idea that 4.2 was going to be more than just the SMS/MMS tone update? Did you bother to read any of the threads about the 4.2 GM edition and the preview of what exactly was included in the update? What exactly were you expecting to change in the "OS load" as you called it? Apple says "Improved performance" in every update because they include various streamlining updates with every OS update...

As far as your question about jailbreaking and "what does it do", do some homework there bud, a loaded question if there ever was one.