So I found this phone laying on a bench a month ago. Supposing I've exhausted all the means of finding the owner, can I use it as my own? I have a 3G and would like to upgrade, but isn't the serial# already registered to someone else? What will happen when I connect it to iTunes?
    11-02-2010 06:24 PM
    It is all yours after you report it to the local police and the carrier and it's not reported after a set time. Just think if it was taken by force and you are caught with it.
    11-02-2010 06:34 PM
    You do not have to report it to the police unless your conscious just begs for such...the police typically dont keep a record of this kind of thing, especially given the dollar amount of a lost iPhone being administered under $500...the point where the scale tips from petty to misdemeanor...and that would only apply to a stolen phone, which this is not...even if it WAS stolen originally, you've already cleared yourself of receipt of stolen goods by attempting to find the owner in atleast one way (which is all that is required).

Basically...if what you said was true, and you have no qualms about bugging the local P.D. about a lost cell phone and filing a report which will uselessly tie up this matter for months with a 99.99% chance of no resolution... tether that bad boy up and enjoy a quicker iPhone.
    11-02-2010 08:38 PM
    You will be fine - like the other post said, you did the honest thing by looking for the owner. My brother found a 3GS when he just had a 2g and switches up the sim cards and AT&T never knew so they continues charging him for the cheaper unlimited data. Lol.

Good find - cheers.

ACE
    11-02-2010 08:43 PM
    As said above. The police are more worried about catching rapists and such rather then someones iPhone.

I'd check to see if any of the owners information is on the phone and contact them with that.
    11-02-2010 08:48 PM
    Thanks Gents!
    11-03-2010 12:42 PM
    That's mine. It should have an apple logo on it. I think my sim card is in it as well. Umm, it has a headphone jack.
    11-03-2010 03:25 PM
    <<As said above. The police are more worried about catching rapists and such rather then someones iPhone.>>

If the phone was taken in a robbery or a burglary, the police would be very interested in finding the perpetrator. iPhones are hot-many are taken by force.
    Last edited by lonbeehold; 11-03-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    11-03-2010 06:24 PM
    As said above. The police are more worried about catching rapists and such rather then someones iPhone.

I'd check to see if any of the owners information is on the phone and contact them with that.
    So is Antoine Dodson. xD.
    11-04-2010 05:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD