After having my phone replaced, to no avail, I still struggled with the dreaded Proximity Sensor problem. I muted, placed on hold, hung up on almost every call I was on and it was very frustrating.

I sent Steve Jobs an email complaining.....yeah, that helped a lot! However someone from the Apple Executive Support Team did contact me to talk about the issue. I agreed to return to the Genius Bar one more time for another replacement phone.

Amazing! It now works. I can not duplicate the problem on the latest phone, so I am assuming the issue is resolved.

This tale is told to encourage those who still have the issue. Keep going back for replacement, they will apparently replace it every time you complain to them.

Now, my iPhone is perfect!!
    10-30-2010 06:21 PM
    Hmm that's good news. Did your previous phone have iOS 4.1? I ask because my proximity sensor has gone away and I'm wondering if it was 4.1 or the fact that my hair has grown longer lol.
    10-30-2010 07:32 PM
    Hmm that's good news. Did your previous phone have iOS 4.1? I ask because my proximity sensor has gone away and I'm wondering if it was 4.1 or the fact that my hair has grown longer lol.
    Oh yeah....4.1 I waited for 4.1 prior to replacing the phone the first time. The update to 4.1 did nothing to help with the problem.

I guess it is a hardware issue, because by replacing the phone it now works fine. Software update did nothing.
    10-30-2010 09:34 PM
    I was having the proximity sensor issue even after 4.1

I just learned to live with it. Yesterday I had to have my iPhone replaced due to a black spot on all pics taken with the front camera. The replacement phone does not suffer from the proximity sensor issue. I can't even try to get it to act up.
    10-31-2010 12:42 AM
    My phone came with 4.0.1, and I'm still on 4.0.1, and my proximity sensor has worked perfectly from day one. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    11-01-2010 12:31 AM
    I still get the proximity sensor issue from time to time. I notice it happens depending on how I hold it. If I position the earpiece straight to the ear canal or closer to the shoulder, no issue. If I hold it higher up....it acts up. I just live with it.
    11-01-2010 01:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD