Will there be Face time on Pc

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You guys are forgetting one thing. This is Apple. Things are a LOT different.

Do you guys actually HAVE Facetime contacts, or just want the program because "its cool" ?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
A lot of my friends have Macs... So yes I'd have facetime contacts and it would be easier to use than Skype and connect to iPhone and other mobile devices that use facetime...

What's your problem? :/

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I think he assumed because you keep insisting FaceTime would NEVER go to PCs, but have no reason except that "Things are a LOT different. "

Can you be a little more concrete and a little less dismissive?

To answer your question: I have a lot of FT contacts, but only a few use macs?and none of the pc people are going to buy a Mac JUST to use FaceTime.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
No problem. Funny you assume theres one.

You acted extremely condescending while providing no additional knowledge or making any worthwhile contribution to the conversation. You act as if it's an outrage to expect Apple's OPEN protocol to eventually work on a Windows PC when it already works on a Mac.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, there are good alternative to facetime. Yahoo messenger works well and you cam use it over 3G.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, there are good alternative to facetime. Yahoo messenger works well and you cam use it over 3G.

I really dislike Yahoo! Messenger. Also nothing will ever be as integrated as FaceTime. It's not even close to an equivalent experience. Nobody I know uses Yahoo!, I don't want to use Yahoo!, accepting incoming video calls will be hit or miss, etc. etc. etc...

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I really dislike Yahoo! Messenger. Also nothing will ever be as integrated as FaceTime. It's not even close to an equivalent experience. Nobody I know uses Yahoo!, I don't want to use Yahoo!, accepting incoming video calls will be hit or miss, etc. etc. etc...

Never had an issue with it. Use it all the time too.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Exactly.

Its just like Apple accessories. If you can find a 3rd party one that's cheaper, why wouldn't you take the cheaper one? Because it doesnt have a shinny Apple logo on it?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Everybody I know uses Yahoo going back years. I only have a handful of friends who have Macs - and by the time FaceTime is working well, they'll be comfortable using Yahoo on their Macs.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Its just like Apple accessories. If you can find a 3rd party one that's cheaper, why wouldn't you take the cheaper one? Because it doesnt have a shinny Apple logo on it?

lol...what? Find me a keyboard and mouse that works as good as the mighty mouse and keyboard from apple in the 3rd party world for the price and i'll eat crow (let me save you some time, you wont find one).

Here's a list of why your last comment is fail...

- 3rd party Mac batteries
- 3rd party mag chargers
- 3rd party bluetooth mouse
- 3rd party bluetooth keyboard
- 3rd party iPod/iPhone docks

...shall i go on? Sure, they cost a bit more, but i think if you've had experience with any of these 3rd party, youd understand why.

As far as the facetime thing goes...im willing to put money on facetime being implemented with Ping at some point to enhance the social side of Ping's function, which means it'll become a part of iTunes, which would bring it to PC's as well as Macs. Apple's determination to morph Ping into Facebook some how almost spells this plan out in black and white, because the next logical step in the social website world is going to be video interaction within the site/program itself...and excluding PC's from this would be progression suicide.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
- 3rd party bluetooth mouse
- 3rd party bluetooth keyboard
- 3rd party iPod/iPhone docks

Well given the battery is internal, chances are you wont need to replace it and when you do, you may be ready for a new machine.

but the mouse, keyboar and docks can all be third party.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you've officially become king oblivious on this website...you pointed out that "Apple accessories" are overpriced and people only buy them because they have a "shiny apple" on them, lmao...it's quite obvious you have ZERO experience with said accessories...Apple's mouse and keyboard dont have a competitor in the same LEAGUE for the price of the mighty mouse and keyboard...the battery i referred to was for a mac (which is why i put mac next to it), another accessory which you can get 3rd party and almost always regret it a year down the road...

Read the posts before you reply to them with useless drivel...it'll save your hands alot of wasted typing.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I completely agree with this statement, but I'd like to add (for Steve Jobs): Make them cheaper and more people will switch. I recently bought a new laptop and got pretty much the same machine I could have gotten with a MacBook or MBP for $400 less. I would have gotten a Mac in a heartbeat if it weren't for that.

My typical response will be this: You saved what you say is $400 now but in the long run I bet it won't last as long and you will end up having to repair it somehow. Mac computers might be a little more pricey but they are well worth it. I have proven my point numerous times with myself and friends of mine.

And on the Yahoo topic, Yahoo Messenger for Mac doesn't allow for video chat between computer and iPhone yet. So with Yahoo you can go from "PC" to iPhone 4 only. FaceTime you can go from iPhone 4 to Mac ONLY (right now). I'd feel pretty comfortable saying 100% FaceTime will come to PC when it hits final build.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Brian, this is an argument I love. I save $400 now, and then in 2 years when I'm jonesing for newer/faster, I can go out and buy it - with the $400 I saved, while my Mac owning friends are still using their old Macs with half the RAM, half the speed, half the storage, blah blah blah. I'm gonna buy new in 2 years - it's a given. Why would I spend twice the price?

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Brian, this is an argument I love. I save $400 now, and then in 2 years when I'm jonesing for newer/faster, I can go out and buy it - with the $400 I saved, while my Mac owning friends are still using their old Macs with half the RAM, half the speed, half the storage, blah blah blah. I'm gonna buy new in 2 years - it's a given. Why would I spend twice the price?

Alli, excellent point. However my MacBook Pro has 2.4GHz processor and 4GB of RAM. Yes you can get more powerful then that but it is something that will last me for many many years. I just got rid of my 2007 MacBook that had 2.16GHz processor and 2GB RAM and it ran beautifully and lasted for 3+ years without a flaw.

I personally will never own a PC again but I would for sure never tell someone to not buy a PC if thats what they wanted.