Can Apple's iOS really beat Google's Android?

kalia

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
if the iPhone can beat Android as a mobile phone OS. I still don?t think it can in the long run, but a CDMA or dual-band iPhone will certainly give Android a run for its money in the mobile space. However, I?ll gladly take some fragmentation if it means I can have a variety of devices made smarter, better, and more connected by their use of Android. Hardware and software developers don?t think of iOS as an embedded operating system. Android, on the other hand, can absolutely be the embedded OS for a new generation of devices. And several million smartphones along the way.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Beat Android? The majority of the reviews since the iPhone 4's release up to this point have iOS as the dominant and preferred platform by users and developers...the question should be can Android beat iOS? Especially given how dynamic iOS is going to become given it is being rooted into the entire Apple world (macs, iPods, iPhones, iPads).

Apple has nothing to worry about...Android (google) and Windows have worlds of catching up to do before their systems are even on the level...even Android phone fan boys will say that, while they prefer the open nature of their phones, they wish the OS ran as smoothly as iOS does...i dont think you'll find an iPhone owner on the planet that would say "I love my iPhone, but i wish it ran more like an Android"...

/thread.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
2lk4qs0.jpg

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So iPhone will lose because it's not CDMA and YOU don't get a choice of devices... How many phones do you need?

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

hate to say this, but your being a "troll" by posting that.

So iPhone will lose because it's not CDMA and YOU don't get a choice of devices... How many phones do you need?

All I know is, I want ONE phone, with the LATEST OS.

With android, theres like 50 million phones, some running 1.6, some 2.0, some others. Some with one UI, some with another. You will not get the same experience on a motorolla, as you get on HTC.

Consumers don't want confusion. They want to "keep it simple stupid"

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Consumers don't want confusion. They want to "keep it simple stupid"

That is flat wrong. Consumers want choice. And you know what? Choice is winning. The tech savvy crowd wants to tinker and tinker and we all know Android allows that. Score one for them. The regular consumer wants choice and what looks nice to them. Android wins in that as well. That doesn't mean that Android phones are "sexy" (I don't think inanimate objects are sexy), but sexiness is in the eye of the beholder.

They usually don't care that phone X runs 1.6 and phone Y runs 2.0. They want a phone on Cricket, Metro PCS, Sprint, T-Mobile (without jailbreaking), Verizon or whatever local carrier suits them. That's choice. Apple has NEVER done that. It's their way or the highway. That is why iOS will NEVER win the smartphone "wars". Yes it's fragmented, but clearly that isn't affecting people's wallets.

Where does Apple get it right? Design, ecosystem, and simplicity. I love how I can pick up an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and even an iPod Nano and know immediately how to use it. It's consistent, it's smooth, and for me it just works. I don't see myself switching to a different phone anytime soon, if ever. But don't think I am fully satisfied with Apple. There are many glaring issues that Apple has its head so far up its ass in iOS that it frustrates a lot of iPhone users, including myself, AT&T not withstanding in some areas.

Android is going to win the marketshare in the end. That's clear as day. But for any clown to believe that iOS will be obliterated and suffer the fate of RIM and Windows based phones needs to get a cat scan to locate the tumor that is clearly pressing against the cognitive processing centers of their brain.

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They won't if google keeps Stealing peoples information.

Yes people want choice, but they also don't want confusion. If I was in the market for an android phone, and like many, don't care if google steals my information, I would want then product line to be short and simple, since many of the phones come close in terms of design, features, and price.

I don't see the need 500 million models. Then again, we are talking about Eric shemit here, a former apple chairman, who's about as worse as mark zukerman when it comes to privacy.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Actually "choice" is not winning.. Maybe in the US where there are dozens of android phones available on every carrier that doesn't have the iPhone, but here in Canada where the iPhone is on almost every carrier it's very hard for android to gain traction. For every 1 person I see with an android phone, there's easily 10 with an iPhone. I really think that if AT&T lost exclusivity in June 2009, the whole "Droid" campaign wouldn't have even happened.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If it wasn't for android, carriers like Sprint & Verizon wouldn't have much going for them. But they're able to offer iphone alternatives for their subscribers. But do keep in mind these subscribers are only settling for androids because they've no other choice and what they really want, an iphone, isn't available to them.

As to fragmentation, i would be more concerned with support. I wouldn't care what another android has on it since i wouldn't have that android. But i would want the latest android OS & updates asap. I would want an app store that has apps tailor made for my android device. I wouldn't want to be dependent on my carrier for those updates or have to put up with carrier BS on my device.

With Apple, i deal with Apple. I hardly deal with AT&T. For the rest of any iOS shortcomings or to deal with any carrier BS (such as wifi only apps), i can jailbreak.

Android as a platform will have more sales than iOS. But Apple is more of a premium brand. It's not often you see a premium provider lead in market share. Apple is more concerned about profit margin and tying their ecosystem together.

Android is several brands. Few well done, most not well done. Cheap, midlevel, it all has a place in the android platform. In the end, google gets what it wants..a presence for its search, apps, and ads. And customers get their cheap inferior iphone alternative.

Reactions: iquinn

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Id also like to point out that having 1,000 variations of phones with your OS on it doesnt necessarily = a worthy contender. Market dominance is only a legitimate argument if your product is something people want as well...if you slap Android on every phone in the world besides the iPhone then you simply have a mirrored situation of Microsoft vs. Apple...does this mean good money for Google (Android)? Of course...it also means they dominate the market by sheer numbers...not by a better product.

Apple doesnt make a perfect product...but the truth of it is, as i have come to understand Apple over the years of buying their products, is that while not perfect, the products make the consumer more than happy...and when they take slow steps in development, it usually means they have found something WORTH being patient with so that they can release a version of that "something" that blows people away...i dont care what complaints you have with the iPhone 4, this thing is THE ****, and when i first saw it previewed i was wow'ed...and to this day, having had it since release, im still 110% satisfied with it.

I dont know one android owner who feels the same way about their phone...even a buddy of mine that is a no non-sense android supporter who wont touch an apple product says that he anxiously awaits the next phone in hopes that it fixes everything that his doesnt do...Pretty much every iPhone owner i know, while excited about the next big iPhone release, isnt sitting around excited because they arnt happy with their current iPhone.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
Which android do you mean? Google android? Verizon android? Dell android? HTC sense? Nook? Blur? Walgreens android? Amazon android? Archos android? Touch wiz?

This is choice? A lot like the pc market. You see the main reason in my opinion that windows won the os wars in the day was because of apps. Office and Internet explorer and outlook. Not because the pc was better. Computers are tools are useless if they can't be used. Apple has more apps but also better ones. Example: sonos remote

Today a lot of pundits are saying that android = windows and iOS = the Macintosh. Wake up android fans. There are a couple of more players here to look at.

Wp7 has tight integration with 90%of pc's with zune xbox as well as a brand new interface.

RIM has a rabid following with almost every fortune 500 company using it's service.

Palm and HP and this has been ignored supplies the majority of the world's printers to the consumer and business. Lot of people buy HP computers simply to integrate well with their printer

And of course apple with their "it just works" philosophy is highly appealing to many folks.

The arrogance of android lovers gets me at times. There will be outrage when they find their market share begin to wane in the midst of new competition. iOS users need not worry too much. Same with rim. As most people who buy these devices stick with them. Most people who bought the droid, evo or galaxy s bought then IMO because they had no real choice.

So when there really is choice in the future, we will see who comes out on top. Don't throw the victory parade just because you threw a td in the first quarter.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The thing i bring up to android owners all the time that try and argue the fact that android has the market overshadowed is choose an android, and compare it to the iPhone and see where it stands. Choose the closest competitor of the iPhone (arguably the Droid X) and see where it stands as far as overshadowing...

The Android is the closest attempt...but its real competition is the windows 7 phones, not the iPhone, when Google has its own Android and its everything people wanted and more, the droid fan boys will have some ground to stand on.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Another thing that bothers me about android is the longevity (or lackthereof) of the product. My friend has a Droid with 2.2 and it is stupidly slow compared to my 3GS on 4.1... I found it quite laughable considering the Droid was released AFTER the 3GS, and was a VERY successful device. It's about as slow as a 3G with 4.1 in my opinion. And that's a device that GOT the update, nevermind all the countless devices that never will despite great popularity (Xperia X10, samsung devices before galaxy S)...

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what people mean by 'beat'. Market share? Well, in the US, Android has more share than iOS due to Apple's deal with AT&T, but that's due to change soon. Beat as far as pleasant to use? The only Android phone I looked at which I thought was a real competitor to my iPhone was the Incredible and that has some issues that the iPhone has addressed.

If rumors are right and we have a Verizon iPhone in two months, the balance will shift to iOS having share over Android but it has to happen soon. Much more delay and Android will have a share which will be impossible for iOS to overcome.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
That is flat wrong. Consumers want choice. And you know what? Choice is winning. The tech savvy crowd wants to tinker and tinker and we all know Android allows that. Score one for them. The regular consumer wants choice and what looks nice to them. Android wins in that as well. That doesn't mean that Android phones are "sexy" (I don't think inanimate objects are sexy), but sexiness is in the eye of the beholder.

They usually don't care that phone X runs 1.6 and phone Y runs 2.0. They want a phone on Cricket, Metro PCS, Sprint, T-Mobile (without jailbreaking), Verizon or whatever local carrier suits them. That's choice. Apple has NEVER done that. It's their way or the highway. That is why iOS will NEVER win the smartphone "wars". Yes it's fragmented, but clearly that isn't affecting people's wallets.

Where does Apple get it right? Design, ecosystem, and simplicity. I love how I can pick up an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and even an iPod Nano and know immediately how to use it. It's consistent, it's smooth, and for me it just works. I don't see myself switching to a different phone anytime soon, if ever. But don't think I am fully satisfied with Apple. There are many glaring issues that Apple has its head so far up its ass in iOS that it frustrates a lot of iPhone users, including myself, AT&T not withstanding in some areas.

Android is going to win the marketshare in the end. That's clear as day. But for any clown to believe that iOS will be obliterated and suffer the fate of RIM and Windows based phones needs to get a cat scan to locate the tumor that is clearly pressing against the cognitive processing centers of their brain.

Android will win in the way that a Kia will move more cars than a Ferrari. It comes in ugly cheap packages that anybody can afford. Does Android want to be the Kia of cell phones? They probably don't care. But the iPhone will always be the Ferrari with the much nicer extra features (apps). Just watch Android limp away from the fight when the iPhone hits Verizon. I'll stick to my Supercar. You can have your Kia.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
The thing i bring up to android owners all the time that try and argue the fact that android has the market overshadowed is choose an android, and compare it to the iPhone and see where it stands. Choose the closest competitor of the iPhone (arguably the Droid X) and see where it stands as far as overshadowing...

The Android is the closest attempt...but its real competition is the windows 7 phones, not the iPhone, when Google has its own Android and its everything people wanted and more, the droid fan boys will have some ground to stand on.

I agree 1000000000%!!

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it will even matter which OS is better. The 2 phones will be judged on their overall performance, and one factor here accessibility of apps. Apple seems to be winning here, because there's only one apple app store, vs android's 4-7 stores. Too many stores confuses people.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Android will win in the way that a Kia will move more cars than a Ferrari. It comes in ugly cheap packages that anybody can afford. Does Android want to be the Kia of cell phones? They probably don't care. But the iPhone will always be the Ferrari with the much nicer extra features (apps). Just watch Android limp away from the fight when the iPhone hits Verizon. I'll stick to my Supercar. You can have your Kia.

Hey now. Kia does have some models that are decent. But when it comes to cars, it bolils down to how many MPG it uses along with the tests (how reliable is it in all conditions. Will it be like toyota and take off, or will it be something you would give your kid) as well as price.

I'm sure many would want a Ferrari, but will chose Kia or ford because of the huge price difference.

Cell phones are a bit different and now a days it seems to boil down to personal preifence.