Well, i dont need messages from 2008...seems like clutter to me

But personally,
    I used itunes with my brief stint with iphone...
    True, u can have all ur apps you downloaded on another phone on ur latest phone

but google market pretty much does the same thing...without the contant need for itunes and having to sync the iphone to the mac/pc to delete this or that or blah blah blah
    Hmm right until you buy an Android phone which doesn't have access to the same marketplace... Then you're SOL.
    10-30-2010 09:06 PM
    as said, there are a ton of android stores. Not all apps are in each store, and you mwould need to sign up for each and spread your credit card through out.

Apple, on the other hand. one ID gets you access to all the itunes stores, plus the online Apple retail store.
    10-30-2010 10:21 PM
    Android isn't open it's customizable, Google simply uses it as a marketing tool to get users to buy the phones. It is open to the manufacturer and carriers who skin it how they want. When you need to root the phone to make changes that proves the original platform aint open. I can JB an iPhone to customize the OS too. I have been using an Android phone with FroYo and customization is cool but when I have 24 choices and each choice has a subset of another ten options you know what that means? it means it becomes tedious and users will stop customizing and use the basic functions of the phone. The Android OS is very unpolished and hobbyish from the onscreen keyboard to the features. The marketplace is very scattered. There are definately cool things I'd love on the iPhone like the widgets and pull down taskbar but there are a hell of alot more things I love to use on the iPhone anyday.
    10-31-2010 01:42 PM
    Android isn't open it's customizable, Google simply uses it as a marketing tool to get users to buy the phones. It is open to the manufacturer and carriers who skin it how they want. When you need to root the phone to make changes that proves the original platform aint open. I can JB an iPhone to customize the OS too. I have been using an Android phone with FroYo and customization is cool but when I have 24 choices and each choice has a subset of another ten options you know what that means? it means it becomes tedious and users will stop customizing and use the basic functions of the phone. The Android OS is very unpolished and hobbyish from the onscreen keyboard to the features. The marketplace is very scattered. There are definately cool things I'd love on the iPhone like the widgets and pull down taskbar but there are a hell of alot more things I love to use on the iPhone anyday.
    I could see Apple doing a bit of lion in iOS and you swipe to the left and have yoiur command center, where you can get access to widgets or notifications. Even search.
    10-31-2010 02:14 PM
    I am trying to figure out where do you get the multiple stores from?
    lol

it is all one market place...

for instance sony xperia runs android 1.6 which came out in august(even though 1.6 has been available since mid 2009 and currently android 2.2 is the latest OS which makes it about 3 OS back...2.0, 2.01, and currently 2.2)

but it has access to the same market as my samsung captivate running android 2.1
    the only difference is that some apps made not show up in the market for the xperia that would show up for the captivate

It's one market nonetheless and your credit card info is in one place...
    i wanted to clarify that because it seems to be a misconception...there are no multiple stores
    10-31-2010 09:02 PM
    lol

for instance sony xperia runs android 1.6 which came out in august(even though 1.6 has been available since mid 2009 and currently android 2.2 is the latest OS which makes it about 3 OS back...2.0, 2.01, and currently 2.2)

but it has access to the same market as my samsung captivate running android 2.1
    the only difference is that some apps made not show up in the market for the xperia that would show up for the captivate

i wanted to clarify that because it seems to be a misconception...there are no multiple stores
    I will agree with this, not sure what others are saying about multiple stores or markets? I will say though that iTunes is FAR more polished for use on the iPhone than Androids market place is on Android phones. I have yet to use a phone that is as fluid or responsive as the iPhone. I have tried out almost every single Android phone so far and none of them seem to really compare in usability to iOS.
    10-31-2010 11:49 PM
    lol

The different markets are a future which Android is heading towards very soon. Verizon is working on a V Cast android store, and Sprint is rumored to be working on theirs, too. Sony is also working on a marketplace for their PSP Android phone, and you know they aren't going to allow the Android Marketplace on there (cheaper games). I have no doubt that any carrier with high Android sales will start making their own marketplaces as well.
    11-01-2010 12:14 AM
    The different markets are a future which Android is heading towards very soon. Verizon is working on a V Cast android store, and Sprint is rumored to be working on theirs, too. Sony is also working on a marketplace for their PSP Android phone, and you know they aren't going to allow the Android Marketplace on there (cheaper games). I have no doubt that any carrier with high Android sales will start making their own marketplaces as well.
    but that is why android is an open OS...it allows you to have more options...i don't see anything wrong with that....it's all about choices
    11-01-2010 02:55 PM
    Android isnt an open OS...just because a phone can be hacked (See: Rooted, JB'ed) doesnt mean its an open operating system. And truth be told, 75% of the crap that android allows you to do to it causes it to lose about 60% of its battery life, so whats the point? To overclock it and impress a bunch of geek friends sitting around a table getting aroused because their phone could show a number on the screen for a few seconds?
    ChrisGonzales90 likes this.
    11-01-2010 03:23 PM
    but that is why android is an open OS...it allows you to have more options...i don't see anything wrong with that....it's all about choices
    I know a number of people have bought into Google's open buzz word but like I said before Android is not open. I have an android phone, if you have to root a phone to run an OS version it's not open. If you have to root a phone to put themes on it's not open, if you have to root a phone to do freaking screenshots it's not open. If that was the case iPhone is more open than Android since screenshots has been a function of the firmware since the first generation. Android is customizable not open it's very different, and it is not always the best thing. So your question is definitely phrased wrong "Can Google's Android one day beat iOS?" is the real question. Sure no one knows the future, the OS has got potential but it is sure as hell alot less polished and lacking features that a closed OS has hmmmm
    11-01-2010 03:36 PM
    if the iPhone can beat Android as a mobile phone OS. I still dont think it can in the long run, but a CDMA or dual-band iPhone will certainly give Android a run for its money in the mobile space. However, Ill gladly take some fragmentation if it means I can have a variety of devices made smarter, better, and more connected by their use of Android. Hardware and software developers dont think of iOS as an embedded operating system. Android, on the other hand, can absolutely be the embedded OS for a new generation of devices. And several million smartphones along the way.
    I decided I had to get in on this one. I think that when the iPhone goes to VZW as well as the Asian markets with a CDMA that IOS will indeed be the dominant operating system. At least as far as mind and profit share go Apple has an appeal that can not be overlooked or underestimated. IOS is far more straight forward and mass market friendly then Android. Anyone can pick up an iPhone and instantly know how to use it. The same can not be said for Android as it can be tweaked both by the handset makers and the carriers. Most consumers in my opinion would prefer IOS if they could get it on the carrier of their choosing.
    11-01-2010 04:43 PM
    having 5 or 6 diferent stores is not open. its just confusion.
    11-01-2010 04:52 PM
    To overclock it and impress a bunch of geek friends sitting around a table getting aroused because their phone could show a number on the screen for a few seconds?

This made me laugh...good stuff...LOL
    11-01-2010 05:57 PM
    having 5 or 6 diferent stores is not open. its just confusion.
    I agree^ They should focus strictly on googles market and have all the different manufacturers add things to it, that would certainly be interesting....
    11-01-2010 05:58 PM
    Hey to the guy who says there aren't multiple stores. You're right. But there will be. Even now Verizon has a section in the market app labeled Verizon for all of their apps. Like navigator. Pretty soon there won't be anything else. Amazon, nook all these android devices will have their own stores.

But this is true. Right now there arent any alternative stores. But it is just around the corner.
    11-01-2010 08:58 PM
    what if android and ios made a baby?
    11-01-2010 09:03 PM
    I'd like to comment also about open source. To me open source software and something as complex as android is an achievement. An open source project is created by using public and free pieces of software to create something bigger. So to be truly open source you need to have every part of the os like memory management or the phone app to come from a public source. This isn't truly the case for android. This is why multitouch and the git are currently being argued as ip belonging to someone else. So android as a property is not only misrepresenting itself as open it is also kind of illegal.

I mean if I wanted to design my own car but I used a copied chevy corvette engine in it and claimed that it was public intellectual property I would have gm and president Obama's lawyers in the business so fast it would make your eyes spin. That's why android is doin to compete.
    11-01-2010 09:04 PM
    what if android and ios made a baby?
    They may have already and it might be called the new HP Pre 2
    11-01-2010 10:16 PM

Looks like Android is still kicking much bootay.
    11-03-2010 05:24 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD