I have just bought a second hand first generation iphone 2gs and I understand this is unblocked and appears to be working fine on my Orange monthly sim card no problem however I seem to remember seeing that if I go to the itune store and update the software it will be locked again. What I would like to know is if anyone knows how I can get aps without updating software and also how to download music from my laptop - which does not have internet again without blocking the phone again ??? thanks again for anyone who knows how to do these things - love gadgets but they don't always love me !!!
    10-26-2010 04:41 PM
    So you want to download music on your laptop with no internet?? don't know how its possible....also, not to be rude, but any app you're going to use on a 2G iPhone is gonna suck, half the apps are to powerful for the 1st gen phone....just keep it as is...
    10-26-2010 06:53 PM
    Thanks for your advice - I realise that its not the most up to date phone and some of the aps won't be great but not looking for a load.

I just wanted to know if it was possible to update my iphone with music from my itunes but not using the internet - done this plenty with my ipod as never had internet at home for ages.:o:o
    10-27-2010 01:22 PM
    Ok - first off, you can go buy a 3GS for $99 right now.

However, I know what your asking and can help.

1) you likely are going to have trouble finding apps for your phone and so - I recommend Jail Breaking it. That way, when you find an application you like using Installous - you will be able to see every version of that application after you click download.
    2) if you are seriously as new to iPhone a you make it sound, you may not know much about jailbreaking. While the phone is unlocked, it doesn't mean its jailbroken. Could be though - since a lot of times they go hand in hand. If you have an application for 'Cydia', 'Rock' or 'installous', then your golden. Installous is your best friend.

3) finally, you want to get music. A lot of us iPhone geeks use other routes to add music aside from iTunes but it can be complicated. Since this phone has never been connected to an iTunes on your computer, you should be safe. However, I would go into your settings and make sure the boxes that says 'automatically sync' or 'update automatically' are UNCHECKED.

This should do it. If you need more, just shoot me an I'M or send me an email bro.

Diamond
    11-02-2010 09:01 PM
    One more thing - when you go to download an application you want from Installous - a list will pop up asking you which one you want (since every app has been updated many times, there will be many versions).

I recommend looking on your computer and seeing which one is compatible for your phone. After you click the version you want - a couple of links will pop up - click on the lower blue one that says 'or just download normally'.

You will be taken to a page that makes you type In a 4 character alphanumeric code. It is case sensitive so if it is 'AbC8' then make sure you capitalize the 'A and C'.

If you get it right, it will take you to a page with a single blue link that says 'download now'. Click it and Installous will download it.

While it's downloading, click the 'settings' option In Installous, and make sure the option to automatically install is checked.

Your good to go. Just remember that while your getting the right version, it still may not work - especially if the creator is no longer hosting it.
    11-02-2010 09:10 PM
    I would just google jailbreakme for iPhone. This is the easiest iPhone unlocking software and will allow application use. My wife still uses the iPhone 2G And she runs apps all the time. Just don't run the high powered app.
    11-02-2010 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD