My mom has an iPhone provided by her employer, and she wants to update the software. I'm 99% sure the initial setup was the last time she was connected to iTunes, and the computer that was used for that initial sync may not be available to her anymore. Since then she has added many, many contacts, photos, videos, etc.

Can she update using her home computer without losing contacts, photos, apps, and so on?
    10-25-2010 11:38 PM
    yes just plug it in do a full backup then update.

there is a chance the music won't be on the device after the update so take the time to make sure she has a copy of all of it on her computer or use iPhonebrowser (free downloadable software) to pull all the music off of it.
    10-25-2010 11:45 PM
    Once you plug it in to a new computer (unless you have manulay manage music and viedos check) it need to sync with that computer right? So you would lose all that information I think.
    10-25-2010 11:55 PM
    Ha, this is just my issue...I can picture it both ways you guys mention. Music is no issue since she has none on the phone, but I don't want to screw up her work contacts since she has no backup at work. Maybe the best question is: if I plug into her home iTunes, can I DEFINITELY do a backup or is there a chance of her info getting wiped?
    10-26-2010 12:08 AM
    as long as you do back up all of your settings, pictures, notes, app data, and anything else not music/podcast/imported video related will be saved.

and most updates won't even erase anything a long as it is 4.0 -> 4.1
    10-26-2010 12:18 AM
    OK, so (sorry to be dense about it), even though she's never used her home iTunes, she can still create the backup and update there without losing anything?
    10-26-2010 12:27 AM
    Yep, she might have to click Restore instead of update but the effect will be the same
    10-26-2010 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD