I bought an iPhone 4 from a seller in Canada. He said that it was factory unlocked because Apple doesn't have an exclusive deal with any carrier in Canada. He also said it'd work with carriers in the US.

My brand new phone arrived but to my distress, it takes only micro sim cards and I have T-Mob which doesn't do micro sim. The seller said that since I was within the return period, if I wish, I could go to the Apple store and get a refund or they'd make it right.

The Apple store was, as always, courteous but they also said that they would not extend a refund for a Canadian iPhone purchase.

That's when I logged on here to learn that sim cards can be cut to the micro proportions. I ordered a cutter and it arrived today. The operation was a success and the new micro sim from regular sim popped out of the chopper just fine.

I synched the now charged and sim'd iPhone 4 to iTunes and the synch worked perfectly. I had some Installous apps in my 3 (put there by previous owner) which were in iTunes but they didn't come over which was fine. All the legitimate stuff came over perfectly which is what I wanted.

Overall I'm pleased as can be with the iPhone. My only complaint is the now well known odd bar behavior.

I wish I didn't have to pay a good deal for the Canadian phone but having an unlocked phone which I can use to upgrade the OS w/o any jailbreak issues is worth it to me.

I saw some chatter here about if these for sale Canadian phones will work in the US and it seems to me that they will.
    10-21-2010 08:03 PM
    I'm in Canada and bought an unlocked phone because I didn't want to deal with the 3 year carrier contracts. I stuck my Rogers micro-SIM in and it worked fine. It'll work with any unlocked micro-SIM, though you'll only get EDGE, not 3G on T-Mo because they use a different frequency which isn't yet supported.
    10-21-2010 11:02 PM
    Well there needs to be an unlock for 4.1!!!
    10-21-2010 11:41 PM
    I'm in Canada and bought an unlocked phone because I didn't want to deal with the 3 year carrier contracts. I stuck my Rogers micro-SIM in and it worked fine. It'll work with any unlocked micro-SIM, though you'll only get EDGE, not 3G on T-Mo because they use a different frequency which isn't yet supported.
    Yes, I've found that and while Edge isn't great, I am not needing data often whilst away from WiFi. In fact, most of my data work is in a WiFi environment so the T-Mob limitation is just a minor annoyance.

When you mean 'yet supported' do you think my iPhone 4 will someday work with T-Mob's 3g?
    10-23-2010 11:11 AM
    I think the iPhone will eventually support T-Mobiles 3G in the US but not he current iPhones it is a hardware limitation, not software. I believe that someday soon you will be able to pick up a iPhone on all the major US carriers.
    10-23-2010 11:30 AM
    I think you may be right and if so, it'll hurt the value of my factory unlocked phone some. Then again, rumors of the Verizon iPhone have been long in the making so maybe it won't happen that quickly.

Right now I now some folks who are convinced that they will be able to buy the Verizon iPhone 4 in January.
    10-23-2010 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD