iPad v MacBook Air... which is right for me (or you)?

arin.failing

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
With the release of the 11 in. MacBook Air, it seems as though (as the most recent article on TiPb states) the iPad will have a lot of competition... WITH ITS OWN RELATIVE! My question is simple, and because I'm not able to find exactly what I'm looking for while researching the issue, I'm coming to you guys for advice!
I'm in the market for (originally) an iPad. I plan on waiting until the "iPad 2" comes out early next year. But with the new contender in the ring, I'm not so sure if the iPad is the best choice. I want everything the iPad offers as a coffee table accessory (I guess you could call it), and I want to put ONLY what few movies I have on the device... no music; I've got my iPhone for my music. I kind of see the new MacBook Air as, essentially, an iPad with a keyboard and more memory. I don't need an all-new laptop, just a device that will store movies, books, and magazines. I didn't even see an iBookstore showcased with the unveil of the MacBook Air, but copying digital movies weighs in at a whopping 1.5 to 2 gigs (for me, anyway) of memory. So with those things considered, can anyone help steer me in the right direction? Thanks for your input!

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
If you already have a laptop, get an iPad. If you don't have a laptop but you have a desktop, get an iPad. If you don't have a desktop or a laptop, get the macbook air. If you don't have a desktop or a laptop but want a cheaper alternative, get an iPad. If you have a lot of money get everything. That's my theory.

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Rgar seems to be advocating taking each rung in the ladder of computer mobility. But I might say that if you've got a desktop and you like it, maybe the ipad is the right choice for you. Because you do work on the desktop now anyway, and you'll use the ipad for everything else.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the market for (originally) an iPad. I plan on waiting until the "iPad 2" comes out early next year. But with the new contender in the ring, I'm not so sure if the iPad is the best choice. I want everything the iPad offers as a coffee table accessory (I guess you could call it), and I want to put ONLY what few movies I have on the device... no music; I've got my iPhone for my music. I kind of see the new MacBook Air as, essentially, an iPad with a keyboard and more memory.

For a lot more money though. You can pick up the bluetooth ipad keyboard for $69.

I don't need an all-new laptop,

Then don't get an MBA, as that will be getting a new laptop.

just a device that will store movies, books, and magazines.

that would be an iPad. Remember, the Macbook air runs Max OSX, not iOS.

Just get an iPad, or wait till spring when the second generation comes out.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPhone, and I don't see myself bringing an iPad anywhere because it offers literally the same functionality as an iPhone, so out of the two I'd spring the extra and get the MacBook Air. I prefer desktop computing so I wouldn't be doing Photoshop on it or something, but it'd be good for typing up stuff when I'm not at home (which the iPad isn't really too good for).

arin.failing

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Haha! Thanks everyone for your input thus far. While quite comical, they are still VERY helpful! I'm thinkin' I'll keep my iPad idea; and who knows, come WWDC in Q1, Apple may unveil the iPad 2 with ramped up memory

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll take OSX over iOS...so the macbook air would be more up my alley. But personally, id just assume wait for a new macbook pro and iphone before getting either. Im not a big fan of buying a "laptop" that i cant easily upgrade the harddrive in (or at all really with the case of both the iPad and Air now)...regardless of the size of the computer, i want it to be a storage powerhouse too...and if i cant get a 1TB drive in it, and they dont make that much memory available fron the get go...i pass.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I think a ipad is completely useless its just a giant iphone without the phone id go for the real laptop over a ipad any day of the week

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Haha! Thanks everyone for your input thus far. While quite comical, they are still VERY helpful! I'm thinkin' I'll keep my iPad idea; and who knows, come WWDC in Q1, Apple may unveil the iPad 2 with ramped up memory

WWDC is in June. It will be an special iPad event. Not WWDC

I think a ipad is completely useless its just a giant iphone without the phone id go for the real laptop over a ipad any day of the week

Have you ever used an iPad before?

Also, its not ment to be a computer. (why can't people get this though their heads?) Remember, if it were a computer, it will be running mac OSX, have a keyboard and mouse (or touch pad), it would have larger storeage. It doesn't becauce its not a computer

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am sticking with my iPad ... However, if apple had included built in AT&T 3G like the iPad I would probably switch ... There are a lot of times when I use my iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, would be 1 less step to just simply pop open the Macbook Air.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
For you, iPad. Only because what you explained seems to gear towards the iPad. You already own a laptop and a iPhone , the iPad may be best for you. Why spend another 1k on a device when you can get one for half that.

I open a iMac and an iPad , the MBA may fit other people in my position. The iPad will work best with laptop and iPhone / iPod touch owners.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Funny this post came up. I am at a crossroads myself. Someone wants to trade me my 32GB WiFi only iPad for a first-gen 13" MacBook Air with the 80GB HDD. I'm leaning towards getting the Air from him because I could get much more use out of it over my iPad. Decisions decisions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods