Have you jumped on the JB bandwagon? (No, not Jonas Brothers or Justin Beiber, JailBreaking.)

If so, why? What are your reasons for JailBreaking your iPhone?

I haven't JB'd mine yet, but I'm curious about it.
    10-20-2010 05:36 PM
    to escape from within the grasp of Lord Jobs
    10-20-2010 05:38 PM
    Oh, we've got a rebel on our hands, eh?
    10-20-2010 05:40 PM
    I like the ability to change the themes. The stock theme gets old after a while.
    10-20-2010 05:50 PM
    I like the ability to change the themes. The stock theme gets old after a while.
    Ah, yeah. That seems like it'd be a convenient option to have. Not enough of a reason to make me want to JailBreak immediately, but if I ever did, it'd be something I'd be interested in.
    10-20-2010 05:55 PM
    I would say I JB for the new features I get like MyWi, CallTell and NotifiedApp with NotificationGriP. Oh and themes too.
    10-20-2010 05:58 PM
    Tethering was the main reason I started jailbreaking, but now I can't stand when I don't have it.

Having my calendar and the weather on my lock screen (lockinfo), having a much better notification system (notified pro), having a much better SMS app that lets me reply to or send an SMS from anywhere (biteSMS, irealSMS, etc.), and being able to turn on/off things like bluetooth, wifi, etc. with just 2 gestures (SBsettings), are all things that I can't give up..

facetime and apps over 20mb with 3g unrestrictor, private mode browsing in safari, having folders close after I launch an app, and some of those other little tweaks are pretty damn sweet as well.

I don't do theme's though, they always make my phone run like crap.
    10-20-2010 06:28 PM
    To customize and have better apps that's not allowed in the app store.
    10-20-2010 07:07 PM
    How about this moves to the JB forum?
    10-20-2010 07:46 PM
    Tethering was the main reason I started jailbreaking, but now I can't stand when I don't have it.

Having my calendar and the weather on my lock screen (lockinfo), having a much better notification system (notified pro), having a much better SMS app that lets me reply to or send an SMS from anywhere (biteSMS, irealSMS, etc.), and being able to turn on/off things like bluetooth, wifi, etc. with just 2 gestures (SBsettings), are all things that I can't give up..

facetime and apps over 20mb with 3g unrestrictor, private mode browsing in safari, having folders close after I launch an app, and some of those other little tweaks are pretty damn sweet as well.

I don't do theme's though, they always make my phone run like crap.
    Tethering would be nice! But with my 2GB limit (I wasn't early enough to catch the unlimited option), I fear it wouldn't do me much good. It sounds like you're using JailBreaking for more convenience. That's something I'm interested in. Though I could easily see my self becoming attached to what you've listed, I'm not sure I want to risk an addiction to JB. Not for those reasons at least. You know what they say, ignorance is bliss, and as long as I don't know how good I could have it, I won't miss it hah.

A part of me is wondering JB would open options for downloading free music (if possible, in a torrent fashion). Music, movies, games, those kinds of things. I guess I'm talking about things which would be considered illegal, but I'm a college student.. is anyone really surprised? lol
    10-20-2010 08:15 PM
    How about this moves to the JB forum?
    Forgive me, I'm still a newb to this forum.
    10-20-2010 08:17 PM
    You don't need to JB to be able to play content from outside of iTunes. It just has to be in a format the iPhone/iTunes will handle. Why does everyone seem to get this idea that everything must come from iTunes and Apple?
    10-20-2010 08:24 PM
    soon your option of sms tones will all begin to sound like finger nails on a chalk board. your options will be endless when your jailbroken, as well as email, calendar etc. tones

i would say just give it a whirl. research as much as possible and as always there are people here to help (in the jailbreak forum )

if something goes wrong or if it's simply not for you, Restore your device and go back to the way it was originally
    10-20-2010 08:50 PM
    I jailbroke my phone because i wanted to run the trailer for Tron Legacy in HD as my video wallpaper. I also wanted be able to tether and use the unlimited data that I pay AT&T for as I fu&kin please! Kiss my *** Ma Bell!!!
    10-20-2010 09:30 PM
    Some people are just too sketchy about it. But its perfectly normal and legal in the U.S
    10-21-2010 01:29 AM
    1. Tweaks
    2. Shortcuts
    3. Cydia Apps
    4. Themes
    5. Tethering

I couldnt go back to a non JB iPhone at this point...
    10-21-2010 03:26 AM
    take the leep, jailbreak your phone. its fun, and extremely easy. if you dont like it (doubt that) you can just do a simple restore and your back to the normal.. dull.. iOS..
    10-21-2010 05:46 AM
    1. custom ring tones
    2. BiteSMS
    3. CalendarLock
    10-21-2010 06:42 AM
    I like the tweaks that have been talked about. 5 icon dock, BiteSMS, LockInfo, and SBSettings, tap to unlock. Don't use themes since they seem to slow things down and cause battery drain. I like to be able to use *my* phone the way I want to, not the way Apple insists I want.
    10-21-2010 08:44 AM
    MyWi and Lockinfo. That's about all I use the JB for but it is worth it!
    10-21-2010 09:02 AM
    Farbod pretty much nailed it.

Those tweaks add up.

1. 5 icon dock. Doesn't sound like much but pretty helpful.

2. BiteSMS. Being able to quick reply while in another app is very nice. Also has many other features.

3. MyWi. It's a wifi tethering hotspot. Accept no substitutes.

4. My3G. This will probably always be reason enough to jb. Don't accept download limitations or wifi only. Facetime over 3G works fine.

5. LockCalendar. Simple app that displays your upcoming schedule on the lock screen. There are others though, some that include weather, etc.

6. Safari downloader and ifile. Download files from safari. Ifile to open them.

7. Full screen safari. Makes safari full screen. Navigate using gestures such as switching tabs, bringing up bookmarks, etc.

8. Folder apps. Can add more apps per folder. Folders in folders. Set to close folder when exiting an app & more.

9. Yourtube2. Can download youtube content and even add the movies or songs to your ipod library.

10. Sbsettings. Change settings (such as turning wifi on or off) on the fly by swiping top bar.

That's my top 10 i guess. I don't use themes or ringtones but those are there as well.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10-21-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    10-21-2010 09:36 AM
    I would just sell my iPhone
    10-21-2010 11:25 AM
    LockInfo!!!!!
    10-22-2010 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD