Local alerts/notifications?

JasonLH

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I want to build an app for iphone and android that includes a database of short messages. I'd like the app to display one randomly to the user throughout the day as if it were a text message. Can this be done without using Push notifications? what is this called? I understand Apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps to run in the background, so how is this accomplished? are there local alerts/notifications that apps can send on a predefined schedule?

I'm hoping Push notifications are not the only way an app can display a SMS-like message to the iOS user when the app is closed.

Thank you!

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
locally Push is the only way to do what your asking,

provided you don't have your own servers that the app could link to and then the server could do true push to a device. (eg. any NGMoCo game)

Reactions: JasonLH

JasonLH

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh, great, I did not know Push worked with local data sources. This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you

Last edited:

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
there is a difference between alerts and push notifications

push would be something coming from a remote server (like previously mentioned NGmoco games that tell you when you can play again)

Alerts would be like Alarm Clock apps that can still go off even when the app isn't open (off the top of my head i can think of AlarmTunes)- these work by setting a date and time similar to what the calendar app does and then activates the alert when the date or time roles around.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
iOS 4 supports Local Notifications

Apple - iPhone 4 - Multitasking done the right way

"Receive push and local notifications.

Third-party apps and services can send alerts and messages directly to your phone. So you can get sports scores, news updates, game requests, reminders, alarms, and more the moment they happen, without having to open the app that?s providing the notification."

There are currently Reminder apps that have local Notifications, no Push required.

Reactions: JasonLH

JasonLH

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Are "alerts" and "local notifications" one and the same?

Or or they different entities with separate API functions/methods?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative