Hi there,

I purchased an unsubsidized iPhone 4 directly from Apple via their Canadian website. After some careful reading I am confused as to whether my iphone will work with a non-Canadian carrier micro-Sim card. On the Apple site they refer to the iPhone being unlocked to compatible carriers and it lists all of the Canadian carriers.

Further down the page it then talks about using your iPhone outside of my home country and it says it can.

I contacted Apple and asked them and was told that is was only unlocked to my country, Canada, and could not be used internationally.

I will be heading down to the US next month and was planning on purchasing a prepaid card from either T-Mobile or AT&T fully expecting to be able to simply plug in the card and all being good. Now I am not so certain.

Has anyone here used their Canadian factory unlocked iPhone 4 in the US on either of the compatible carriers? If so, did you just take out your Canadian carriers micro sim card and insert the US one?

Thanks
    10-18-2010 02:13 PM
    I don't think ill ever have this problem but i think i can help.

as far as i know you will be able to get one with AT&T (maybe not a pre-paid though)
    I don't think you can get a T-Mobil card regardless of whether its prepaid or contract.

Best of luck,
    post results so those of us who like to help people can learn
    ptw likes this.
    10-18-2010 02:54 PM
    I just got my Canadian unlocked by Apple phone. I will be trying with my T-mob SIM as soon as my upgrading question is answered.
    ptw likes this.
    10-18-2010 04:54 PM
    I just got my Canadian unlocked by Apple phone. I will be trying with my T-mob SIM as soon as my upgrading question is answered.
    Great, can't wait to hear your results. Thanks to all who replied and I too should have an answer when I head south next month.
    10-19-2010 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD