Iphone:Toy of Choice for Today's Toddlers

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
My 2yr old son has his own 32GB 4th Generation iPod Touch. I am constantly looking for great educational apps for it. I also keep some of his favorite movies on it.

We still read to him, we still interact with him. I just love that he knows how to use it.

When the wife and I switched from blackberry to iPhone. the wife had a 16GB 2nd Generation iPod Touch. Instead of selling it, we decided to give it to him. Best tech decision we made. We were having issues with the battery on the 2nd Gen iPod Touch...Best Buy replaced it under warranty. That is how he ended up with a 32GB 4th Gen.

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Sweet article...I have a nine, seven and one year old. The nine and seven year olds are getting their own touches for xmas and the little guy just loves playing with our iPhones.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My 2yr old son has his own 32GB 4th Generation iPod Touch. I am constantly looking for great educational apps for it. I also keep some of his favorite movies on it.

We still read to him, we still interact with him. I just love that he knows how to use it.

When the wife and I switched from blackberry to iPhone. the wife had a 16GB 2nd Generation iPod Touch. Instead of selling it, we decided to give it to him. Best tech decision we made. We were having issues with the battery on the 2nd Gen iPod Touch...Best Buy replaced it under warranty. That is how he ended up with a 32GB 4th Gen.

Isnt it amazing. I too am amazed on how well my 3 year old can operate mine and my wifes iphones.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Isnt it amazing. I too am amazed on how well my 3 year old can operate mine and my wifes iphones.

And to think the type of technology that will be available to our kids when they are our age. I love that they are getting an early start. Wish I had this kind of stuff when I was his age.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If I had a child interested in technology I would embrace it. It opens a lot of doors for them in the future and they could end up being ahead of other children. Also, it's not like your handing them a touch and just walking away. Or at least, I wouldn't lol. People make huge issues over nothing at all. The same could be said of videogame consoles.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I am always amazed when I watch my kids use the iPhone and the computer. I think the more of a head start they get in working with technology the better.

bsoder#IM

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I am 39. When I was six, my parents bought our first home computer - a Radio Shack Color Computer with 4K of memory (later upgraded to 16K!) I learned to program in basic on that computer, got in trouble numerous times for sneaking out of bed in the middle of the night to write "just one more thing, Mom!"

I now write code for a living, big surprise there. My younger kids each have plenty of time with the computer (windows PCs) and with the various iStuff that we have. Games like FirstWords Deluxe, Monkey Preschool Lunchbox, etc - and my just turned two-year-old is starting to read and does color, count, shape games. (And of course they go outside to play, I suppose I HAVE to put that in there, right? :))

I am a little concerned that this is another example of the haves of the world vs the have-nots, but I can't solve that one - all I can do is the best I can to make sure my kids have the best advantages I can provide. Early technology access is a huge part of that - just imagine what tech they'll have by the time they hit 40... and it's part of their basic development. They use it as easily as breathing.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While I think young children should imbrace technolgy and have access to educational games I think its a bit young to be giving them a high end device like an iPhone or ipod touch. Now if its yours and your letting your kid play with it, then thats a different story, but there needs to be a limit on the amount of time they spend on it.

I still think its best to go "old school" and have the child do some creativity with out the need for electronic gadgets, as well as spend a good chunk outside and interacting with other kids their age.

I mean, look at the young teens of today. It seems all they do is text. Imagine your young child doing the same thing and not interacting with other humans.

I remember back in 2007 when I first started looking for a job I applied for KFC and it said "Must be able to talk to "strangers" - No matter what your mother told you, you need to be able to interact with strangers, as you will not be able to text your customers"

Yeah. Its sad, but its the truth.

now I know this is texting, but it still falls under electronic gadgets. You got to have a balance between electronics and real life stuff. If you expose your kids to electronics all the time, thats all they are going to know, and soon they will try to get a job some day and expect to use some sort of electronic gadget when they wont be able to (ie; job interview)

I know I may get flamed for this, but its the truth. Take it or leave it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
While I think young children should imbrace technolgy and have access to educational games I think its a bit young to be giving them a high end device like an iPhone or ipod touch. Now if its yours and your letting your kid play with it, then thats a different story, but there needs to be a limit on the amount of time they spend on it.

I still think its best to go "old school" and have the child do some creativity with out the need for electronic gadgets, as well as spend a good chunk outside and interacting with other kids their age.

I mean, look at the young teens of today. It seems all they do is text. Imagine your young child doing the same thing and not interacting with other humans.

I remember back in 2007 when I first started looking for a job I applied for KFC and it said "Must be able to talk to "strangers" - No matter what your mother told you, you need to be able to interact with strangers, as you will not be able to text your customers"

Yeah. Its sad, but its the truth.

now I know this is texting, but it still falls under electronic gadgets. You got to have a balance between electronics and real life stuff. If you expose your kids to electronics all the time, thats all they are going to know, and soon they will try to get a job some day and expect to use some sort of electronic gadget when they wont be able to (ie; job interview)

I know I may get flamed for this, but its the truth. Take it or leave it.

Agreed! I am only 31, but when I was a small tax credit, video games weren't very advanced. Toys actually took an imagination. Kids today have none. Want to see what they're going to turn into? Watch Wall-E.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Small tax credit-I love that :)
No flames. I think the key is balance. My kids have toys, books, and after-school activities, they interact with friends and family. They spend hours making up and playing games, without electronic interference or assistance. They can also help me figure out an issue with my Mac ;) At this point, they share an old iPhone that they use as an iPod Touch. They have quite a few apps-Cut The Rope is a current fave, and e-books on it-but also they go days at a time without using it. We limit their time with electronics, but they are actually quite good at limiting themselves because they have so many other things to do. Like most things, moderation is just a smart way to go.

Glory

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, to my mind iPod touch is a great thing for children, especially when you are bisy and need some time for youfself. Sometimes it's the only thing to keep my 4yr old son sitting quietly. :) Besides the time spent with this device won't be wasted, as there are so many educational programs and games in App Store!

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
My daughter who turns 2 next month is in love with my wife and my iphones. We have to watch her because if she sees our phones the wheels start turning in her head as to how she can get her hands on it. When she gets caught she says this is daddy's phone here daddy. She knows how to turn it on and unlock it also talk on it. Right now she is limited to making a video of herself for family to send or looking at mommy over face time. We limit her access to electronics and tv. When she does get the chance to watch tv or any thing it is always an educational show. Our problem is that we end up treating her as if she is a couple years older because of everything that she went through. I think the wife is going to let her use it a little more once she gets her otterbox.

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
It makes sense that the iphone/ipod is becoming the toy of today's children - it takes the place of both books and video games. IMO, this is better than the toy of the previous generation, which I would say are strictly video games. The iphone is more geared toward learning and/or enrichment.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73