So I have a AUX and iPod connector in my car, but no mic.
    I want to be able to hook up my iPhone to the car stereo as a handsfree calling system.

What I have tried in the past is hooking up a mic between the phone and the aux connector. It worked, but not very well. I always got people complaining about there being too much echo that it was unbearable. I guess the MIC i added inbetween was a cheap single mic which picked up the sound coming from the car speakers.

Anyone tried anything similar that actually worked well??
    I'm open to trying creative things.

Thanks in advance for all the creative input!
    10-14-2010 01:13 PM
    You have already run into the major problem doing it that way. The mic will also pic up the callers voice. This is why Bluetooth connectivity for cars is the way to go. But if you can find a way for the mic to cancel out their voice let us know. I wonder if someone has thought to make a noice cancelation app just for this purpose???
    10-14-2010 01:18 PM
    You have already run into the major problem doing it that way. The mic will also pic up the callers voice. This is why Bluetooth connectivity for cars is the way to go. But if you can find a way for the mic to cancel out their voice let us know. I wonder if someone has thought to make a noice cancelation app just for this purpose???
    Yeah I was hoping to find a mic like the one i'm using, just a noice cancelling one. I don't mind paying for one that works. This one I currently have was for $15 at Best Buy.

I wonder if anyone even makes a noice cancelling mic.
    10-14-2010 01:37 PM
    Like he said, bluetooth is the way to go in my opinion.
    10-14-2010 02:41 PM
    FRYS.com | Motorola

I'm sure you could find this at a store near you if Fry's doesn't exist where you are. Bluetooth speakerphone with a built in FM-transmitter to send the calls through your stereo.
    10-14-2010 02:49 PM

I'm sure you could find this at a store near you if Fry's doesn't exist where you are. Bluetooth speakerphone with a built in FM-transmitter to send the calls through your stereo.
    Oh I've tried a bluetooth speakerphone before.
    They are good, but I was looking for a solution similar to the one I described above, as it it would've utilized what I already have.

As for FM transmitters, I live in Toronto, I had to change the frequency after every 10 minutes cause of static. Not too many open channels here unfortunately.
    10-14-2010 03:15 PM
    Does your vehicle have an AUX input? FRYS.com | Scosche is a bluetooth, noise canceling mic that plugs into it. They do have an extension cable as well that would work. It's not exactly what you're looking for; but it's closer.

FRYS.com | Parrot is an installed bluetooth system to pair your phone to your car for something different.

Both are closer to what you want. Bluetooth is the way to go for what you are wanting to do.
    10-14-2010 03:22 PM
    Okay okay it was pretty obvious that I meant to spell "noise" cancellation. Please forgive my discrepancy.
    10-14-2010 03:56 PM
    Not sure if it would be worth it for a developer to build that app. I can't imagine it would get more than 100 sales in its lifetime. Maybe if the builder were a college student programmer/EE student...
    10-14-2010 05:01 PM
    I know I would buy it!
    10-14-2010 06:32 PM
    Unfortunately there is no way to prevent ALL of the echo simply because the mic will pick up some of the callers audio that gets played through your car speakers. The only way to improve this is to increase the separation or isolation between the mic and your car speakers. Also, you could reduce the stereo volume and that will help reduce the echo.

I know what youre going through Ive wasted many hours tinkering with this problem on my iPhone. I first tried this product (Griffin Headphone Adapter for iPhone) and I broke it open to relocate the mic to the headliner above and forward of my head. It does work but people had a difficult time hearing me unless I was speaking very loud. Note that this Griffin adaptor has a 4-contact tip-ring-ring-sleeve plug on it . . . one is the common, one is left audio out, one is right audio out, and the one is the mic input.

I figured out that if I plugged a standard tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) 3-contact plug into the headphone jack, the built-in iPhone mic is still active during a phone call. Further, I found that in this configuration the person on the other end of the call could hear me slightly better than using the Griffin mic when my phone is in the dock Im using. I know this sounds odd, but its what I experienced with my 3Gs (have not tried this on my iP4 yet).

I can further improve the mic pickup if I cup my hand around the bottom of the phone with my palm pointed of course toward my mouth (similar to cupping your hands around your ears to improve directional hearing). So at this point Im thinking about crafting some sort of cup or reflective surface around the bottom of the phone when it is docked.

For whatever really annoying reason, the iPhone does not route any phone-call audio through the dock connector only through the headphone connector, but music can be sourced from either connector (oddly, the ringer audio will come out of both connectors). The audio output level is fixed through the dock but is variable through the headphone output. I was hoping to be able to find a dock connector that would do it all charge the phone, handle music output, AND handle phone-call audio out and mic in. I have searched from here to Mars and Im tellin you, it dont exist. Lots of other guys on various car forums have posed the same question. Ive studied every dock connector pin-out that I can find on the web and it appears that Apple simply did not design that capability into the iPhone.

Probably the best option is to use the dock connector for charging and music audio out and then use the separate Bluetooth car speakerphone (they all have a built-in mic). Now, Ive personally not wanted to do this because I know Ill forget and leave the iPhone Bluetooth powered on all day and drain the battery faster, not to mention Im paranoid about security with the BT left on. Maybe I should not be, but its my own personal phobia. Further, those car BT thingies have to be charged regularly.

Anyway . . . I hope I answered your question. If youd like to discuss this in further excruciating detail, PM me your phone number and Ill give you a call.

Keith
    10-14-2010 07:19 PM
    LIQUIDZOO that looks like a good product. Will have to look further into it. I don't have an AUX port in my car though. I have a AUX cable that comes right out from the stereo though. So i will have to see if there is an adapter for that.

KGVICKERS
    That griffin mic is the EXACT product I currently have. Very disappointed to see that it doesn't work too well with speakers around. I guess it's designed more for headphones. Seems like you have done a lot of research without much success. Definitely going to learn from your research!

Ahhh, it's disappointing to see no real solution.

There are plenty of Bluetooth speakerphones in the market, but those are also just average. No really good products. None with displays, the ones with solar panels are also tough to find...
    10-15-2010 01:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD