Android Vs. iPhone

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Android just doesn't have the polish, still. Kinda sad it's taking google this long. It's funny there are phones shipping right now with icons from pre-installed apps which don't support the resolution of the screen. Imagine turning on your iPhone and your clock app's icon is all pixelated... Hahaha

When an OS consist mainly of a grid of icons on a screen its not hard to focus on polish. Google has already stated that the focus on the next OS version was the UI. On top of that what Google showed off at its I/O was pretty incredible. With Gingerbread expected in December and another major OS release towards the summer of next year, the Android OS of today, which offers many advantages over iOS as is, will be vastly improved. I'm wondering if iOS can keep up.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@'Pimp'...

Android is a grid of icons as well aside from the useless always-on widgets... In fact iPhone's UI in terms of the home screen got a lot more complicated in iOS 4. Folders, app switcher, new widgets... It's simple in favour of function, but it is far more beautiful and well-oiled than anything on Android... From the stand point of a UI designer I just don't see how anyone could think that Android comes anywhere close to iOS in usability. Widgets sometimes look cool on a home screen but I know when I had an android phone I never actually used them. I simply ended up opening the apps because the widgets offered so much more limited functionality... Then I simply removed the widgets because they were wasting battery, data, and decreasing performance... I'm fine with the 'grid of icons' on the iPhone.

Some live icons like for clock and weather would be useful, and that's the only reason I'm jailbroken.

Pimp Lucious

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
To each his/her own, but to call widgets useless on a smartphone reaks of fanboyism. I have a widget for podcast, weather, facebook/twitter, calendar, music player. Mini widgets to toggle wifi, bluetooth, gps, 4G. Useless? Are you serious? A wealth of information available at a glance, never having to open an app, but i can get to the app easily through the widget. Ability to toggle radios on/off without having to go into settings. Useless?

I can give it up to iOS where it deserves it. the UI is clean and consistent. I never said it wasn't because I'm not a fanboy. Nice iPad sitting next to me and I bought my mom one and my kids iPod touches. The apps are more refined and excellent apps are in more of an abumdance. All I said is that google has stated its focus on UI, and with the way google has been rolling out features and updates, the next year will see Android improvement. Attitudes like yours is why I love Android's massive growth, it keeps the apple fanboys pissed off and speaking out of their butts.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a fanboy. I have opinions based on personal experience using both platforms, much like you do. I'll admit that the toggle widgets are useful and I wish those were present in iOS. I forgot about those. I really find other widgets useless though, unless you are trying to drain your battery as quick as possible. Even if apple brought out their own widgets I would be doing my best not to use them (aside from toggles), because I don't find them useful. They don't do enough so I end up just opening the app anyway.

Android's growth is awesome. The way I see it a POS phone running 1.6 is still better than the alternatives at $0, so I think its great that consumers can get in on a smartphone OS no matter what carrier they are on for a tiny amount of money. I don't actually think that it's fair to compare iOS to Android though in terms of market share. Until there are $0 iPhones on every carrier, it's a completely unfair comparison.

sigmamason

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I think both OS are great, as they are pushing the innovation across all platforms. While WP7 was in development, I don't think Microsoft was in any hurry until they saw the explosive growth in iOS and Android.

sigmamason

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to add RIM with OS6 and now what Nokia is doing with the redesign of Symbian. Hopefully the OS platforms continue to grow and innovate and get more usable technology to users.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
To each his/her own, but to call widgets useless on a smartphone reaks of fanboyism. I have a widget for podcast, weather, facebook/twitter, calendar, music player. Mini widgets to toggle wifi, bluetooth, gps, 4G. Useless? Are you serious? A wealth of information available at a glance, never having to open an app, but i can get to the app easily through the widget. Ability to toggle radios on/off without having to go into settings. Useless?

I can give it up to iOS where it deserves it. the UI is clean and consistent. I never said it wasn't because I'm not a fanboy. Nice iPad sitting next to me and I bought my mom one and my kids iPod touches. The apps are more refined and excellent apps are in more of an abumdance. All I said is that google has stated its focus on UI, and with the way google has been rolling out features and updates, the next year will see Android improvement. Attitudes like yours is why I love Android's massive growth, it keeps the apple fanboys pissed off and speaking out of their butts.

And to constantly say how good Android is reeks of fanboyism. That **** goes both way and it's really getting so ****ing old.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@ctt1wbw
NEVER visit engadget then. Seriously android phones are praised endlessly for turning on, but if the iPhone doesn't give you a BJ its a piece of crap.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I notice that in the discussion threads. Every person's response talking about the iPhone in any regards get downranked. They say whatever they want about it and it still gets downranked.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I think android has many advantages over the iPhone. It's a good product. I just prefer Apple. If Apple didn't make a phone, I would jump on Android.
As a former Incredible owner I can say that it all comes down to personal preference. both platforms have strengths and both have weeknesses. It all comes down to what you hold important. If you like the always on aspect then Android is better. It updates in the background and that makes a big difference in terms of how you use the phone. The notification system is fantastic as has been well documented. Lately I have seen many of the apps that cross both platforms updated more frequently on Android. Weather bug is a perfect example. However, battery life is horrific and this is mainly becuase of the background updating. So its a pick your poison type of scenario.

The iphone just works. Itunes is second to none and the app selection is still superior. The iphone's battery life is spectacular (imo) which is of uber importance to me.
Im probably over simplifying.
Wow... I thought I would have to write a long drawn out explanation of why I choose iPhone over Android and it looks like many of you have said it perfectly! And not only you on these forums have put it succinctly, the author of the aforementioned article said it best himself...

"The power to do all that customization is great, but most users won't ever want to think about any of it. Which is too bad, because Android phones just aren't set up that well by default. That varies a lot based on your phone manufacturer and your carrier, since both tend to make some tweaks, and in many cases install custom UIs (Blur, Sense, etc.)

But many people find the default layout on their phone to be excessively cluttered. Managing your files isn't so nice until you download Astro. And -- again, depending on the phone -- battery life can be a complete disaster if you don't load some widgets that let you quickly turn off wifi and GPS when you aren't using them."

Most consumers want the phone to just "work" out of the box. Despite popular opinion, "customization" is NOT what the core consumer is looking for. They don't want to fuss with figuring out ways to arrange and rearrange their phones user interface.

"Let's face it, Apple still designs the best hardware"

You got that right! This is an area where I believe the iPhone will always reign supreme. Call me pessimistic but I doubt any other mobile manufacturer will be able to produce a device that works as smoothly and as intuitively as the iPhone.

"As huge an upgrade as Verizon is over AT&T, it's still the worst thing about my mobile experience. The latest version of Android lets you use your phone as a mobile hotspot, letting you wirelessly access the Internet from your computer using the phone's data. Except that in most cases, carriers deactivate that feature unless you pay extra for it.

Carriers also load useless bloatware and prevent users from un-installing it. Android has native turn-by-turn navigation, yet the universally panned VZ Navigator is right there on my phone (with a disturbingly broad set of permissions) and can't be removed."

Verizon = Bloatware and horrid logos emblazoned on every device they sell!

Unfortunately, for most app developers, Android is still a distant second best. BlackBerry is still number one in install base, and Android is growing faster than anyone, but the App Store is where developers make money.

So generally, people develop for the iPhone, then expand to Android when they can. That's very irritating, especially if you need to write about the latest features coming out of software startups.

On the iPhone, everything just works. You don't have to know anything about technology to use one. Even if you do, the experience will just feel cleaner and simpler. Android still has some rough edges, and if you don't want to deal with them, the iPhone is a good choice.

Need I say more?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen