The new SMS tones...has Apple lost their minds?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
After listening to a few of those new ones, im not going to lie, im kind of excited to use a couple of them atleast...many of them are far too long to be SMS/MMS notifications though, more like ringtones.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As bad as those are, I am still waiting for Apple to catch up with my old BlackBerry in the customizable sms tones on a "per contact" basis. I need it because I also use my iPhone as my work pager, and don't want the "pager" tone to be the same as a SMS/MMS text tone...

Why is Apple being so stubborn on this (lack of) feature? Steve, are you listening?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Really the SMS tones is one of the reasons I JB. With all the iPhones around every time you hear Tri-Tone you get at least 10 people checking their phones. Plus after listening to all the new ones they are ALL too long. An SMS tone should be at MOST 2 seconds.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Those are pretty bad. Maybe they're so long because it's the Beta and will be shortened at the general release?

In addition to customized SMS tones, I wish we could set different tones for push notifications in different applications. I usually pick my phone up every time I get a push, but it would be nice to know if it is an email or a Facebook post, probably wouldn't pick it up for every single Facebook notification! LOL!

Personally, I use Chime as my SMS tone because everyone else in the universe uses tritone! My hubby says that another angel got it's wings every time it goes off, but I kinda like it!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Those are pretty bad. Maybe they're so long because it's the Beta and will be shortened at the general release?

In addition to customized SMS tones, I wish we could set different tones for push notifications in different applications. I usually pick my phone up every time I get a push, but it would be nice to know if it is an email or a Facebook post, probably wouldn't pick it up for every single Facebook notification! LOL!

Personally, I use Chime as my SMS tone because everyone else in the universe uses tritone! My hubby says that another angel got it's wings every time it goes off, but I kinda like it!

thus is the reason to jailbreak. try it, you might like it! :)

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Granted, it is annoying when I hear my text alert go off, and 9 people around me all go for their iphones, but, I mean, it's just a friggin tone. After a while I just keep it on vibrate, is this really a huge issue? Some of you seem so worked up over silly little notification sounds, and I get it, you want customization, but still.....also, i believe theres apps on the market place that allow you to change you email alert tones, if thats of interest to you....

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
hey blink im jailbroken, where can i get the custome sms tones?

1.Edit an mp3 file. Make it as short as possible, approx 1-3 secs. Save the file as an .aif file
2.Right click and rename it to one of the following:

sms-received1.caf
sms-received2.caf
sms-received3.caf
sms-received4.caf
sms-received5.caf
sms-received6.caf

3.SSH into your iPhone. Goto directory:

root/system/library/audio/uisounds

4.If you want to keep the default sounds edit the file extension that is the same name as the sound you created on your computer from .caf to a .bak file!
5.Copy the .caf file from your saved location into this iPhone uisounds directory

Thats it. Goto the tones and pick the number of the tone you changed (In order top down 1-6)

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Granted, it is annoying when I hear my text alert go off, and 9 people around me all go for their iphones, but, I mean, it's just a friggin tone. After a while I just keep it on vibrate, is this really a huge issue? Some of you seem so worked up over silly little notification sounds, and I get it, you want customization, but still.....also, i believe theres apps on the market place that allow you to change you email alert tones, if thats of interest to you....

It's obviously not a deal breaker for any of us but it's just...weird. I could set up my 5 year old Samsung dumb phone so that I could tell who was calling or texting without even having to take the phone out of my pocket. I get a lot of texts and emails throughout the day and that little bit of customization would be nice. Apple created a revolutionary phone that spurred innovation in the industry but they have never given a good reason why something so easy isn't included in the phone. So 3.5 years go by and they finally give us more "options" and completely get it wrong. Like I said....it's just weird that they do so many things right and get the simplest things wrong.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

1.Edit an mp3 file. Make it as short as possible, approx 1-3 secs. Save the file as an .aif file
2.Right click and rename it to one of the following:

sms-received1.caf
sms-received2.caf
sms-received3.caf
sms-received4.caf
sms-received5.caf
sms-received6.caf

3.SSH into your iPhone. Goto directory:

root/system/library/audio/uisounds

4.If you want to keep the default sounds edit the file extension that is the same name as the sound you created on your computer from .caf to a .bak file!
5.Copy the .caf file from your saved location into this iPhone uisounds directory

Thats it. Goto the tones and pick the number of the tone you changed (In order top down 1-6)

exactly!

Create and Install Custom SMS Tones on iPhone ?

here is where i get most of my tones [Free ringtones, themes, wallpapers, games. Millions of downloads for your mobile phone | Zedge ]

then edit with [http://audacity.sourceforge.net/] if needed ( 2-3 seconds is good)

you can use any format as long as you convert it

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

yeah, but when you jailbreak, as you already know, you can change any tone

i too use vibrate a lot, especially at work

and touchy, i remember a while back when you were Pro JB, has that changed?

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

SSH can be complicated for some people. I use iFile to navigate to other apps on the device (cant remember the exact location of the applications folder), copy tones from that location, then rename them to SMS tone I don't use. You can do the same and change your mail tone.

Boxcar has some of the best tones for this scenario.

Just find a write up on how to change the tones to get the locations.

This makes me wanna jailbreak tonight. I hate my phone sounding like the 30 other iPhones in my office. Someone gets an email, and 5 ppl grab their phone. I have faith in Apple, they can do better.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
yeah, but when you jailbreak, as you already know, you can change any tone

i too use vibrate a lot, especially at work

and touchy, i remember a while back when you were Pro JB, has that changed?

Hey! Absolutely not I am PRO JB, all the way! Never will not be, but since these were stock tones we were discussing, I figured I'd keep my comments just on stock tones....I'm PRO JB all the way, lol, in fact posted while tehtered via MyWi :p

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I currently use glass as my text tone. I can't imagine using any of those new tones as they are WAY too long.

I would use Glass, but I can't stand that it goes twice. That just bugs the **** out of me. If it went once, I would definitely use it. But as it stands Tri-tone is the only one I find tolerable.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro