So my iPhone 4 is not JB or anything right now and my battery life is absolutely terrible. Do you guys think I should go to an Apple store and maybe see about getting a replacement? I haven't ever really seen good battery life out of this phone. I've tried letting it die completely and then charging fully and still is bad.
    10-12-2010 12:45 PM
    Have you tried a clean install ? I have seen it help a lot for quite a few peeps having battery issues ...

Fresh1
    10-12-2010 12:53 PM
    What does terrible mean? How long is it lasting, because if you put your Iphone 4 on full brightness, with push notification, 3G, Wifi enabled etc then yah youre looking at 5-6 hours max. I've had my iphone since a week before it was released and i've always been very happy with the battery usage.
    I turn the 3g off if im not using internet, wifi off if im not using it, brightness at about half, and push notifications every hour except all the time. My battery will last me a whole day of usage, emailing, facebook, texting etc.
    If its really terrible then yah just tell Apple about it and see hopefully probably they will replace it =)
    10-12-2010 01:14 PM
    Terrible meaning I go from 100% to 73% after 1 hr 30ish min of useage and thats sending a few emails and texts and minor web browsing and maybe 15ish min of a game sometimes. I have a microcell and I refuse to shut 3G off and deal with EDGE no thanks.

I WAS JB and my battery life was also still bad obviously so I restored and it still stinks so I made an appointment with Apple today and I'll just see what they have to say.
    10-12-2010 01:46 PM
    Try restoring it as new. Then run the battery all the way down until the phone dies and displays the red battery. Lastly charge it all the way up with the a/c charger and see if it improves. If not then take it to Apple.
    10-12-2010 03:03 PM
    Def try a clean install. One of your programs could be running in the background causing the unit to expend more battery life than it normally should. Or perhaps part of the battery saving software didn't install properly...
    10-12-2010 04:29 PM
    Terrible meaning I go from 100% to 73% after 1 hr 30ish min of useage and thats sending a few emails and texts and minor web browsing and maybe 15ish min of a game sometimes. I have a microcell and I refuse to shut 3G off and deal with EDGE no thanks.

I WAS JB and my battery life was also still bad obviously so I restored and it still stinks so I made an appointment with Apple today and I'll just see what they have to say.
    So lets just round it off, you get 1hr30min out of 25% battery. So for a full charge you'll get 6hrs of useage....seems right to me depending on your push settings, locations settings, etc....

be more specific with us on if push is on, notifications are on, locations are on, all that stuff....but if you have that stuff on, then your useage seems normal.
    10-12-2010 04:54 PM

I use Google Sync for GMail, notifications, locations on but hardly used, no WiFi, no Bluetooth.
    10-12-2010 05:38 PM
    I dont pretty much everything with mine all day and the battery seems just fine...lasts alot longer than my other iPhones did, that's for sure.
    10-12-2010 05:47 PM

I use Google Sync for GMail, notifications, locations on but hardly used, no WiFi, no Bluetooth.
    Yes, but in that time of useage what are you doing? web surfing? calls? text? email? app useage? games? what are you doing in that 2 and half hours???
    Also, what your brightness at, is it on auto? what about push? calendars? you clearing out your fast app tray? be specific bro, it helps us help you.
    10-12-2010 05:48 PM
    Main source of useage today has been sending some e-mail, checking twitter updates, no calls (at work), minimal texting (5-10ish), no games or apps (at work), brightness is at 60-70ish% with auto brightness on, calendars nope, push = boxcar and email, and I'm minor OCD so yes my fast app tray is always at minimum.
    10-12-2010 05:52 PM
    Also according to Apple (which obviously their numbers will vary from actual useage) the specs are:

Power and battery2
    Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    Talk time:
    Up to 7 hours on 3G
    Up to 14 hours on 2G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    Internet use:
    Up to 6 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Mine is not even close.
    10-12-2010 05:55 PM
    Main source of useage today has been sending some e-mail, checking twitter updates, no calls (at work), minimal texting (5-10ish), no games or apps (at work), brightness is at 60-70ish% with auto brightness on, calendars nope, push = boxcar and email, and I'm minor OCD so yes my fast app tray is always at minimum.
    Honestly for that sort of useage, your times seems right. Your screen is pretty bright, and auto brightness kills the battery. But you're not that far off, seems like some useage worth of your numbers....but yeah, the brightness and autobright is gonna kill the battery, turn auto brightness off, you dont need that.

Also according to Apple (which obviously their numbers will vary from actual useage) the specs are:

Power and battery2
    Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
    Talk time:
    Up to 7 hours on 3G
    Up to 14 hours on 2G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    Internet use:
    Up to 6 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Mine is not even close.
    Thats under ideal cirumstances, half those numbers are in airplane mode basically(they quote those numbers of minimal useage of all other apps). These numbers appls state are always under situations where they just use the battery for those things, wont translate to everyday use like us owners(lol did i spell transslate right) hahaha?
    10-12-2010 06:08 PM
    Honestly for that sort of useage, your times seems right. Your screen is pretty bright, and auto brightness kills the battery. But you're not that far off, seems like some useage worth of your numbers....but yeah, the brightness and autobright is gonna kill the battery, turn auto brightness off, you dont need that.

Thats under ideal cirumstances, half those numbers are in airplane mode basically(they quote those numbers of minimal useage of all other apps). These numbers appls state are always under situations where they just use the battery for those things, wont translate to everyday use like us owners(lol did i spell transslate right) hahaha?

haha yeah I guess it's just frustrating to see it dwindle with what feels like minimal useage. I did however kill auto-brightness and turned the brightness down a bit.
    10-12-2010 06:22 PM
    haha yeah I guess it's just frustrating to see it dwindle with what feels like minimal useage. I did however kill auto-brightness and turned the brightness down a bit.
    Honestly, I think thats a big thing contributing to your battery life. If you dont see improvememnt, restore as new, if not go to the apple store they can run diagnostics on it
    10-13-2010 01:31 PM
    I think I do ok with battery life... With wifi and 3G on all day!
    10-13-2010 06:39 PM
    As the previous owner of the Samsung Captivate, Blackberry Bold 9700 and Pre, I can honestly say that the iPhone's battery capability is amazing when you take in account the touchscreen and the performance of the phone. While the Blackberry Bold is clearly a winner when it comes down to straight-up battery performance, the iPhone is definitely the best in terms of every other factor and the battery is quite phenomenal.
    10-13-2010 07:50 PM
    I believe it is ok for the standby hours.
    10-13-2010 10:42 PM
    10-13-2010 10:52 PM
    12-03-2010 06:29 AM
    Being relatively new to the iPhone, I have found it lasts longer than the Blackberry phone I had and that is even with bluetooth on and often Wi-fi as well. I also use and app called battery doctor that does a trickle charge after a complete charge which is supposed to assist in extending battery life. Not sure if that is true, but so far, the battery life has been really good even with heavy use.
    12-03-2010 06:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD