View Poll Results: How much data do you use?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 1 GBs

41 42.71%
  • Right at 2 GBs

15 15.63%
  • 3-5 GBs

30 31.25%
  • I Don't Know

2 2.08%
  • More than 5 GBs

8 8.33%
    I listen to sirius/xm for about 2 hours a day, crazy amount of emails with large attachments, and several apps that access data. With 2gb I have to monitor it about every other day just to keep in-check that I don't go over. Mostly just a pain to have to worry about it, but I'm too cheap to take a chance and go over 1mb and it cost me $10 extra a month.
    10-11-2010 10:51 AM
    I am 19 days into my billing period and have used 4,673 MB. probably due to Netflix and iHeart Radio.
    10-11-2010 11:15 AM
    I generally use social media apps, mail, and maps a few times throughout the day. That's really about it besides Pandora or Last.fm every now and then. I went with the 200mb plan to save some money and I haven't had a problem going over yet. But I also intentionally stay away from streaming video or downloading apps over 3G. I wait till I'm at work or home to use WiFi. If I want to listen to music in the car, that's why I have almost 10 GB of music on my iPhone.
    But that's just me
    Last edited by jeremylittle; 10-11-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: wanted to add a tag
    10-11-2010 11:48 AM
    Don't see the problem. If you use more data, you'll pay more. Sounds fair to me.
    10-11-2010 01:19 PM
    Those who say there are enough wifi hotspots around, maybe there are enough for your usage, but not mine. Besides, if I'm at Best Buy, I don't want to have to run to McDonald's to see what TigerDirect is charging for the same items. I'd rather do it where I am.

Use your device however you choose, but who impose their opinions on others are a pain. Polite suggestions on price-saving or efficiently are cool.

Learn the difference.
    Best Buys, at least the ones in my area now have wifi enabled on the computers (or at least on the macs) so you could just go and price check on those.

You could also price check BEFORE you leave, so if Tiger Direct is cheaper you wouldn't have wasted a trip an gas money.
    10-11-2010 01:21 PM
    I have been trying to figure out if AT&T counts the data I use while on wifi against my plan or not. I have spoken with a customer service person and they told me that it doesn't, but I am on wifi 90% of the day and My data usage is pretty high still according to the AT&T app. The lady told me there is no way to distinguish between 3g usage and wifi usage to make sure that I am not going to go over. Does anyone have an answer for this? Thanks in advance for any help.
    10-11-2010 01:22 PM
    Don't see the problem. If you use more data, you'll pay more. Sounds fair to me.
    There is no problem. not sure why you think there is.
    10-11-2010 01:22 PM
    I thought for sure I would miss my unlimited data when I moved from Verizon to AT&T, but the fact that I'm on Wi-Fi in most places (except work, for some odd reason); and the fact that I bought a stand-alone Sirius radio (the sole reason I was hovering around 7GB/mo on my Droid) has me not missing it at all. I don't think I've gone over (or near) 500mb since I got the phone.

Though a huge help is the fact that the iPhone has iTunes to buy and download apps from a PC/Mac. There is no Android equivalent and all apps have to be purchased and downloaded on your handset.
    10-11-2010 01:34 PM
    averaging about 4GB per month... but i tether... thank god for unlimited data!
    10-11-2010 01:40 PM
    wi-fi is your only friend
    10-11-2010 01:51 PM
    I live and work off-grid, with no option for internet access other than 3G. The nearest wifi is 15 miles away, so I only use it to download large apps/updates. Before the Netflix app was released, I used 2 or 3 G per month - now about 5. Glad I kept my unlimited plan
    10-11-2010 01:57 PM
    wi-fi is my only friend
    Fixed that for you.
    10-11-2010 01:58 PM
    I'm hitting around 8GB a month now that I have Netflix. Some airport still don't do free wifi so I'm using 3G with MyWi for my laptop while at work and also when I travel. I'm keeping my unlimited plan until 3G is retired like TDMA was so I can stream as much as I want.
    10-11-2010 02:17 PM
    I was just wondering if the no unlimited data is stopping anyone else from getting the new Iphone4? It is for me I'm with Verizon and use about 3 gbs. I have netflix so I would use that app. I also use slacker radio when I drive to work an hour commute. I am also holding out to see if Verizon get Iphone by next year. Which has been rumors for how many years? Just wondering how much data people here use and what apps you use?

Thanks,
    Tiffany
    Verizon is getting rid of unlimited data - Verizon CEO confirms plans for tiered data pricing -- Engadget
    10-11-2010 02:20 PM
    Verizon is getting rid of unlimited data - Verizon CEO confirms plans for tiered data pricing -- Engadget
    I would hope that they grandfather in existing users, like ATT did.
    10-11-2010 02:24 PM
    Best Buys, at least the ones in my area now have wifi enabled on the computers (or at least on the macs) so you could just go and price check on those.

You could also price check BEFORE you leave, so if Tiger Direct is cheaper you wouldn't have wasted a trip an gas money.
    Yes.... Great.... In theory.....

How about impulse buys??

How about going from unlimited to using 2gb for the SAME PRICE......

It should be increased to 4gb.... Or support for apps like netflix should be removed from 3g.... One 2 hour move eats up all ur data... So its 20 bucks per movie thereafter....its laughable.....
    10-11-2010 02:55 PM
    There is a way to trick at&t's system to get you on the old smartphone data plan unlimited for $30 which hasn't been patched yet.
    10-11-2010 03:12 PM
    Only around 300mb a month. 2gb is fine with me. Wifi is almost everywhere.
    10-11-2010 03:56 PM
    Only around 300mb a month. 2gb is fine with me. Wifi is almost everywhere.
    Yep. Hell, even some cities have wifi zones now.
    10-11-2010 05:15 PM
    2gb... what a joke. nothing like ruining your iPhone experience by having to monitor everything you do in a day

i'm fine with being a data hog, thanks
    10-11-2010 05:53 PM
    I switched to Att 10 years ago because I didnt want to worry about using my phone. No worrying about which network I'm on or who I call. One price did it all. Now I will stay with my unlimited data so I don't have to worry about how much data I use.
    10-11-2010 06:40 PM
    I used to use only about half a gig on a monthly basis. But now that Netflix is out on iPhone 4 i use about 1.5 gigs a month.
    10-11-2010 09:26 PM
    I used 187MB last month.
    10-11-2010 10:28 PM
    There is a way to trick at&t's system to get you on the old smartphone data plan unlimited for $30 which hasn't been patched yet.
    Please explain.

Mark
    10-12-2010 11:21 AM
    Please explain.

Mark
    I believe it requires a 1st generation iPhone and activating it with your sim to get the old unlimited data plan. I saw it in the forums here a few months ago, might need to search to find it.

Back on topic, I'm an average data user and I was cautious the first month on my 2gb per month plan thinking I was going to go over, so I tried to stay on a Wi-Fi connection as much as possible. Once I found out I barely broke the 200mb mark after the first month, I didn't care so much and I've only gotten to 600mb per month at the most so far. 2gb is actually a lot more data than what most people seem.
    10-12-2010 10:31 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD