Frustrated with iPhone 4

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I have been a huge Apple fan; had the original iPhone, 3G, 3GS, and now the iPhone 4. My experience with Apple has usually been phenomenal. That changed with the iPhone 4. My original iPhone 4 (bought on release day) suffered from many dropped calls. Having had a 3GS and BlackBerry 8310 on AT&T for work, I knew it was not AT&T. I kept the iPhone 4 in a bumper, yet I still had multiple issues. I could place the iPhone 4 on my desk next to my Blackberry 8310 and watch as the iPhone 4 indicated it was "Searching" for Network while the BB was getting emails as well as phone calls without problem. I was dropping 5-6 calls a day (I am on my phone a lot for work). I took it back to Apple and they replaced mine with a new iPhone 4. The replacement phone doesn't drop calls, but now suffers from the Proximity Sensor issue (yes it has the newest software). I have accidentally hung up on several clients and have heard loud beeps as my cheek hits the screen.

I am almost at the point of giving up on the iPhone 4, getting something else to tide me over until iPhone 5. The AT&T rep that I discussed my issue with indicated that Apple just made a "crappy product" and that the 3GS is actually a better device in terms of functionality as a phone. He recommended BlackBerry as they make a "better" device in terms of a phone (I have had Berry's before and they don't thrill me). Based on the negative publicity as well as many of the issues even referenced in this forum, I am wondering if the iPhone 4 is pretty much the "Vista" of iPhone's and even Apple is working on getting a new version out fast (possibly on Verizon) to get past this mess.

Has anyone else had similar issues and have moved to another platform as a result? I don't really want to have to give up my iPhone because of my investment in apps etc., but I also am tired of telling people when they first call, "please don't be offended if I drop this call, I am on an iPhone". I just feel that for the money that we spend on these devices, Apple should make sure that critical items like the Proximity Sensor, Antenna, Glass etc. actually work as appropriate in the field before they release them. Also, if I have the latest software and the proximity sensor seems to fail, any ideas of what else could be the issue outside of bad hardware?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Most people on this site and overall would disagree with you. But this is also the reality. For some people it just doesn't work. It sucks, but what can you do? Sorry man.

lineskier22

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
My iphone 4 is perfect actually! I guess im one of the lucky ones...

You could do this:

Get some dog poo, put it in a brown bag, go to Apple's front door, light the bag on fire and have your crappy iphone 4 next to it saying on the screen "example of this shotty device".

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
The proximity issue is still bugging the crap out of me.

I love the i4 too much to give it up though as the
battery life is ridiculously better, the speed is awesome
and the feel and look of the device is 10Xs better
than the 3GS... but that's just my opinion and will
definitely vary.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
For starters, the proximity issue was not fixed 100% under update 4.1...so many (most) of us that were experiencing this issue before are in fact still experiencing it...is it annoying? Sure...but you ever owned the BB storm, you'd understand that this issue is really nothing compared to that phones proximity issue, my storm used to set up 2 different calls while on a call and then because it couldn't multitask, it would just shut down.

The thing is, if this proximity issue is the only thing you're experiencing right now, and it's that big a deal to you to where you'd consider giving up the iPhone for something else, then you must already have your mind set...and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's your opinion, your money, you should be satisfied with the phone you use...

My only argument to you is this...people have grown so used to issues with blackberry phones that the common issues are just taken on the chin and ignored now days, they've had years to fix some issues that havent even even acknowledged by them! With the iPhone, now that you've got the new handset, you're simply experiencing something many of us are, and apple have said it's being worked on, so they are atleast telling you they are aware and are trying to fix it to accommodate everyones calling style...I mean with all the issues in other phones that are just ignored, you'd think the singled out problems with the iPhones would be taken with a little less criticism.

Ask yourself, are you truly dissapointed with the phone because of the silly proximity issue? Or are you just being dramatic because you expect beyond perfection from apple because that's typically what they deliver and this time, it was just a little below perfect...making it stand out.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Sean... i think my biggest gripe is that this isn't
the case on the 3GS and 3G and Original iPhone,
so it almost makes me want to believe it'll never
be fixed and is hardware related. The update
was lipstick on a pig.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I have had my iphone 4 for a month now i have not had one dropped call or any problems with proximity.

Try turning it on and then see what problems you have!

LOL just kidding,

I still have the proximity sensor issue but I know how and when it occurs so I took Steves advice and "Hold Different", also I have never had the antenna problem.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
For the sales rep to say that the iPhone is a "crappy" product, and that the 3GS and Blackberry are "better" proves he has no idea what he is saying...

Call me when the blackberry storm is made of glass and steel.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any of those issues with my 4, but you might try a Bluetooth or the earphones that come with it if it's a call that would be tragic to drop. I love the device but I can see how it would be a pain to keep hanging up on people. I would just just use the alternatives for now. I am sure that apple will keep working on these issues. Just a suggestion in the meantime.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I agree, most people on this site would disagree with the OP. I happen to be one of them. "for me" this has been the best phone I have ever owned(iPhone 4). I've had none of the major issues. Reception has been better than any of my iPhones. And no proximity issue. Only issue I have with the iPhone is with OTHER users texting and driving (just plain stupid)

Now this is not to say that these issues do not exist for you. But I think think the AT&T employee was just massaging your ego to calm an "unsatisfied" customer. This is most definitely not a "crappy" phone.

All that being said. Go and get a phone that works for you. If these issues are disrupting your business, I do not understand why your trying to justify keeping the iPhone.

frozencloud

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I'm a newbie here (planning to buy an iphone 4). But from what I'm getting is that the update that suppose to fix the ps issue is a hit or miss for most people but not a 100% complete fix. (pls correct me if I'm wrong). So is it a good idea to hold on to my upgrade until Apple announce some sort of fix for this? Because I'm planning to buy this phone for my gf, and she can't have those cheek hang-up while talking to my clients, etc.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Apple already announced the fix.. It didn't work on some phones but I just got a new phone which didn't even have 4.1 on it and the proximity sensor was working 100%.. I assume there was a software fix as well as a hardware fix for new batches which already happened.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be happy with a phone that had that issue. I would keep exchanging it until they give you one that works. I don't understand why there is a proximity sensor issue on the iPhone 4. The previous models didn't have that problem, did they?

That being said, ALL phones have one or two issues. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I got an Android this last time around. That has its own problems as well. If it weren't for the fact that the white iPhone 4 was delayed, I would probably wouldn't have gotten an Android. I should have just kept my 3gs until the iPhone 5 came out I guess.

hoosiercub

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Sure...but you ever owned the BB storm, you'd understand that this issue is really nothing compared to that phones proximity issue, my storm used to set up 2 different calls while on a call and then because it couldn't multitask, it would just shut down.

I'm an Android user, ex-Blackberry user & smartphone enthusiast.. I never had any issues of that nature with the storm, grossly due to the fact that the screen requires a physical button to be pushed and unless you're mashing your head up and down against a storm laying on your shoulder, I seriously doubt it. Also.. the storms wouldn't ever "just shut down" from multitasking.. they'd get slow but never became unusable, Storm1&2.. the java virtual machine that RIM uses for the OS is prone to memory leaks because its in their design, its unfortunate but true.

Sean... i think my biggest gripe is that this isn't
the case on the 3GS and 3G and Original iPhone,
so it almost makes me want to believe it'll never
be fixed and is hardware related. The update
was lipstick on a pig.

I would whole-heartedly agree with you, isn't one of apple's big ploys how their products don't have issues like this, thats why they spend so much time in testing an R&D?

For the sales rep to say that the iPhone is a "crappy" product, and that the 3GS and Blackberry are "better" proves he has no idea what he is saying...

Call me when the blackberry storm is made of glass and steel.

Umm.. last time I checked.. the backside of a Storm was steel and the screen was glass.. ;-)

I would whole heartedly agree with a sales rep in that decision. Blackberry devices are amazing phones <--*keyword here*.. because the audial equipment in them is far superior to any iPhone I've ever used, included the 4. They may lack the app store and syncing with iTunes, but as a phone, I'd say they're far superior in that department. Glass and metal don't make a phone better regardless, if anything, metal interferes with radio signal, as proven on the current and previous macbook pros with WiFi.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro