Adding words to iPhone 4 dictionary?

TheBiggmann

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to add words to the iPhone's dictionary? There are certain words that i use decently frequently that always get autocorrected, and I would like to add them to the dictionary to avoid this, but I can't seem to find how/if thats possible. I know on my Bold 9700 it was super easy to do, and I can't imagine they wouldn't let you do that.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you can do it.

Go to: Settings>General>keyboard

From there, add an international keyboard. Once you do that, the "edit user dictionary" option appears.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There was a terrific tip thread posted in the TiPb's next blogger forum with instructions on how to do this.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
ah, got it to work, I didn't know the int'l keyboard to add had to be Chinese Traditional pinyin ... But even when I add a word to the dictionary, it'll still auto-capitalize it ... Even when I turn auto-capitalization off, say for instance, "hun" keeps getting changed to "Hun". Any suggestions?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Is it possible to add words to the iPhone's dictionary? There are certain words that i use decently frequently that always get autocorrected, and I would like to add them to the dictionary to avoid this, but I can't seem to find how/if thats possible. I know on my Bold 9700 it was super easy to do, and I can't imagine they wouldn't let you do that.

Go into the notes or text app and type the word you want a few times. When the suggested correction comes up hit the X to cancel it. After 3-4 tiems doing this the word should be added to the dictionary.

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Find the post I mentioned above. It has specific directions. Not just any int'l keyboard will do.
yea i found what you had said alli but idk
i have to actually use the chinese keyboard and sometimes the symbols come out, and it seems more complicated? or maybe im using the wrong one?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just tested and it works. Add Chinese Traditional pinyin as a keyboard then the edit user dictionary shows up.

dlrpjem1212

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
In Mobile Safari, open a new browser, type in the word/words into the Google search field. This should put the words in to your phone's dictionary.:)

TJGraham

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
edit user dictionary

maybe i'm missing something i have tried all the different international keyboards .. Where does the "edit user dictionary"appear ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost