I know it's a bit early to talk about this, but there was rumor of a refresh coming out that had solved the antenna "issue". Anyone know if there is any truth/potential to this? I'm looking to upgrade to an iP4 but am kinda hesitant to do so at the moment on the chance that we see a refresh.
    10-05-2010 03:37 AM
    No refresh. Go buy one or wait until next summer.
    10-05-2010 08:04 AM
    Nothing wrong with the antenna. So nothing to fix= no refresh.
    10-05-2010 09:26 AM
    I agree, you won't see any sort of refresh. Just not going to happen. People keep buying the current phone like crazy. No point.
    10-05-2010 10:21 AM
    Haha alright, good to know. I had just heard somewhere about them releasing one with a "non conductive coating". I've also heard it isn't anywhere near the issue people have made it into, but I figured if there was a possibility of it happening i'd wait.
    10-05-2010 10:31 AM
    Well the issue is this. The antenna is stainless steel and it will be very very difficult to coat it with a layer thick enough to counteract the conductivity of the human body.
    10-05-2010 11:03 AM
    Hmm, interesting. So really, the bumpers are the best, and basically the only option.
    10-05-2010 11:32 AM
    Either that or coat your hand in some substance that will reduce your conductivity. Candle wax comes to mind.
    10-05-2010 02:21 PM
    Either that or coat your hand in some substance that will reduce your conductivity. Candle wax comes to mind.
    or nifty latex gloves, your call
    10-05-2010 04:05 PM
    I think I'll Go with the latex glove route. That won't even make me look a little creepy I don't think. Side note: posting this from my brand new shiny iPhone 4
    10-05-2010 04:15 PM
    congratulations and a sticker over the trouble spot would do no need to coat your hands in wax or look like a creeper with gloves
    10-05-2010 04:53 PM
    I think I'll Go with the latex glove route. That won't even make me look a little creepy I don't think. Side note: posting this from my brand new shiny iPhone 4
    Hey, good for you! I don't have any trouble and think the issue was a big nothing. Congrats!
    10-05-2010 05:04 PM
    I'm under the same impression. I deathgriiped every phone at the apple store and had one drop one bar, and mine doesn't do it at all either. Reception is equal if not better than my blackberry. I haven't had a chance to test the actual phone portion, the one call I did make the person wasn't there, but it sounds very loud and clear for the 30 or so seconds I was on it. Only thing I fond strange is that it doesn't seem tobacccelerate when scrolling down webpages as fast as my touch did. Is there a setting somewhere that allows you to change the acceleration speed?
    10-05-2010 05:17 PM
    It was already confirmed that the incoming software update wont fix the iPhone 4′s transmission and reception problems. They acknowledged the antenna problem exists, offering the same solution as before: buy a case or hold the iPhone differently. The redesign could coincide with the much-rumored Verizon iPhone highly anticipated by many potential customers. The report also addresses the iPhone 4 bumpers, with claims that Apple may be preparing to release a new, all-silicone bumper for the iPhone 4 that would provide the company with a cheaper solution to address the device's antenna issues. The report's source also claims that Apple considered shipping the iPhone 4 with bumpers from the very beginning, implying that the company was aware of a potential antenna issue.
    10-05-2010 06:12 PM
    Yeah, okay, whatever. A rumor is a rumor till it's not.
    10-05-2010 07:35 PM
    I know when the refresh is going to come out. In June, it's called the iPhone 5. Apple has no reason to do a refresh on the 4 seeing as how there is still a 3 week wait on the Apple site and you still can't find one in stores.
    10-05-2010 07:40 PM
    If there were going to be one, it would have happened when the antenna keynote went on.

So if your in the market for an iPhone. Buy one now, or wait till next June. There will not be an update or refresh.
    10-05-2010 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD