Iphone 4 Prox Sensor

jeepville

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have an iphone 4 that I got new from att about a month ago. It has always had the proximity sensor issue. It is current up to 4.1 software and that didnt fix it.
I am contemplating going to the genius bar to see what they would do.
My question is can they do anything for me? Or should I just sit still and wait for 4.2? Or will they give me a new phone and that should fix it as its a hardware issue?

Thanks

Josh

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Having recently undergone the process of which you speak, I remain disappointed. I too suffered from the failed proximity sensor and all the grief that it incurred. IOS 4.1 did not change anything for me so I went to the Genius Bar. They listened attentively, analyzed the phone while we talked and then said that the only thing they could do is replace the phone. I agreed and took home my new phone.

Unfortunately, the results are exactly the same. No change at all.

I think you should pursue the equipment change, because it could work, it just did not help me.

Good luck with your quest. I am anxiously awaiting the release of IOS 4.2

jeepville

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well they sent me home with my same phone and said try a restore as new phone and if that doesnt work come back. He said it didnt look like the sensor was bad but it was a software issue. Wierd that apple hasnt fixed that it wont accept that from a 3g backup. I didnt want to lose all my stuff in the store so I said I would take it home and try it.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
A week ago, I went to the Genius Bar to swap my iPhone because it had a couple yellow spots on it. They replaced it with one that had the proximity sensor problem. The next business day, I went back and described the problem. They swapped it again. The newest one doesn't have the problem and is pretty much perfect. There are definitely some with hardware issues. Swap it again until you get one that works right. Before you go to your appointment, make sure you sync right before so it's easy to get all your stuff back.

Last edited:

jjjwicks

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess I need to exchange my device as well. After the 4.1 upgrade, the proximity sensor problem was worse. I guess I might as well wait for 4.2 before going through the return process.

jexner325

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I will be honest, I too am frustrated with this issue. I took my original iPhone 4 back to Apple (bought on release day). I was averaging 6-10 dropped calls a day even though it was always in a Bumper (I waited patiently for 4.1 as I thought that was the issue). Apple claimed it was a faulty antenna (funny). So they replaced it with a new version, and the proximity sensor is bad. I have accidentally hung up on several calls and on others i will hear beeping as my cheek hits the screen and presses buttons unintentionally. I will probably need to go back to Apple again to get this issue fixed; I am very much kicking my self because I should have kept my iPhone 3GS as that was a MUCH better device in terms of quality. Kind of like a car, never buy a redesign or new model, wait for the 2nd or 3rd version for the kinks to get worked out. I should have followed that advice, because this truly is the "Vista" of iPhone's.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It is still an answer for me unfortunately.

I'll be getting a new i4 shortly too see if it changes.

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Hummm 4.1 fixed my prox sensor issues.....I took the 4 I got on launch day to the genius bar and they told me they could either replace my phone or I could wait for the software update. I opted for replacement, and low and behold once I updated to 4.1 the issue went away. I can now not force the phone to hang up, mute, or dial random numbers like it would before. Hope the new hardware fixes the issue for those that 4.1 did not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods