So stressed over ip4 and torch

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
never used a BB but i never wanted to it always looked to idk useless(?) for me when it was time to upgrade i wanted a qwerty keyboard and tried out a few BBs but the moment i touched the 3GS i loved it and went with that...
then again im not a heavy eMail user recieving only 10 a day at most and that includes spam

solius

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Guy I know who works at AT&T says the torch is slow at everything and the interface is not smooth at all. Told me he wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
*yawn* Blackberry is a dying breed that has failed to adapt and is desperately trying to play catch up with BB 6.0 and thats looking to be more and more like a miserable failure, once again. Hey but on the bright side BB keeps releasing a refreshed curve, now called curve 3G :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And there are still things that Blackberry does that the iPhone can't. Can you delete Exchange email without a connection? No. Does it sync Outlook tasks and notes? No. Switching to a new device, do user settings come back without connecting to a system? No. Can the OS be upgraded by IT wirelessly? No.

The iPhone is good at what it does well, and does do some things better than Blackberry. But Blackberry still has it's place.

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Guy I know who works at AT&T says the torch is slow at everything and the interface is not smooth at all. Told me he wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I heard the opposite. Smooth while no tasks are running.
I'm not a fan of the torch.

Get an iPhone. I love it. :). Battery life isn't as good. But it's an AWESOME device. It might not be suited for you though. Check it out. :)

maverick96

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Stressing over an iPhone 4 Vs. Torch doesn't even seem to me to be normal.. Torch is so far behind it wouldn't even be in the same book. Now MAYBE iPhone 4 vs. a very high end Android phone I could see and even thats a distant MAYBE.:)

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you need. Do you need to have instant email notifications? If not then get the iPhone 4. As others have posted, the screen is so much better then the Torch. Colors pop off the screen and (not to sound like Jobs) it looks like your holding a magazine in your hand, instead of a phone. One of the girls on my floor (I live in a dorm..) has a torch and she let me play with it the other day and I was horrified. Just moving between menus caused the phone to lag, and stutter.

I shouldn't experience lag just from sweeping through icons. Although the BB's browser did receive an update in OS 6, it's no where near as good as mobile Safari on the iPhone.

What you really have to ask yourself "what are my needs". It really quite simply comes down to if you need your email pushed. Honestly, if you need push email, and still want a iPhone, get a mobile me account and have your other email account forward all messages to your mobile me. It's what I do and it works flawlessly.

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I have been a bb user for a while and administer few dozen bbs. Bb's are good for the keyboard and INSTANT/push email. BB world will have you believe bb is the only device with this feature not true.

I switched from my 9700 to ip4 and i am much happier with my device. I can browse easily and use email surprisingly well and i don't have to pay extra money to my carrier for bes access.

After playing with torch i realised ip4 is the way to go. RIM unless reinvents themselves is not going to survive.

Blackberry blows the iPhone out of the water in terms of Corporate email. Admittedly, I'm a BES admin. So I use Blackberry for corporate stuff, and a iPod Touch for the fun stuff.

PingChat is good for cross platform, it works between iPhone, Blackberry and Android. Only downside is you can only be registered on one device at a time.

ip4 has a much superior exchange implementation. As for policies for users yes no such thing but with exchange on ip4 you do have the ability to do remote wipe.

No extra cost on monthly plan and/or bes server costs.

Overall push is excellent for ip4.

AS for chat software no one has mentioned imo within the software you can use msn, google talk etc etc.

I use google talk its cross platform and cross device.

I never used bbm and always used google talk on my bb also.

-----------------

things could be improved on ip4.

- battery life
- ability to have custom sounds for mail/sms etc
- quality control on screens some are yellow some are white.

besides that i do not regret my ip4 jump.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Boost mobile, who's parent company is sprint and I have blackberry 8330. The track ball popped out earlier today and I submited a support ticket. I don't fell like paying $249 for a new blackberry, even though I would get faster memory 256 vs 96 mb) and the optical trackpad.

I have been thinking of going to the iPhone 4, but I'm a heavy data user and I fell I may exceed the 2GB cap, and not to mention you'll be paying well over $100 for 2GB of data and unlimited calling. I don't call much, so the 450 minuntes would be perfect, but you are still paying quite a bit for a phone who has a lot of features, but many are just catch ups, and you are still on 3G. The last part may not be much of an issue if you don't have 4G, but we have 4G in my area and would love to take advantage of it.

I have also been looking at the evo. I know battery life is not so good, but I do like how I can have unlimited data, plus the 4G. The large screen is also a plus, along with the sense UI, since the iOS UI in my humble opinion is getting old.

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the iPhone 4 for a while and I can tell you that the iPhone 4 will kill you. Haha. I am used to touch typing while walking in the street. Haha really hard to do it accurately on the iPhone or any all touch screen device. I miss the keyboard. And bbm. But that's it. I love my iPhone. I'll return to bb when they get their game together. I've had so many blackberries and they've all been the same except for minor increments. So I am skipping a gen. :) iPhone rocks. Battery life is terrible. Haha.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And despite the number of apps available for the iPhone, there are several apps from the BlackBerry world that have no equal on the iPhone:

BBM. Say what you want, but none of the iPhone apps (WhatsApp, PMessenger, etc) come close. Period.

BerryWeather. There are many nice weather apps on the iPhone, but nothing with the sheer beauty and functionality of BerryWeather.

SocialScope. This is still, by far, the best mobile Twitter app known to mankind. I am a very happy Osfoora user on my iPhone, but again, NO CONTEST.

Email. BlackBerry earned it's reputation on email... On the iPhone, it's almost manageable.

Finally, not an app, per se... more a basic integrated feature... but the iPhone notification system sucks bilge water, especially when compared to the BlackBerry system. 'nuff said.

I love my iPhone - glad I made the switch from the world of BlackBerry, but there are still some items that have me longing for the BB.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Im not going to go into detail on every "better" point people made about the BB in here, but i will say this...as a daily user of a Blackberry Bold (work) and an iPhone 4 (personal)...the ONLY reason people find things they feel is better about the BB phones over iPhone is the fact that there simply arnt many good apps for the Blackberry, so when you do find even a half way decent one, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Blackberry's continue being relevant because they are durable and they do email better than any other smart phone on the market...and why wouldnt they? That's all they've obligated major effort to for...well...a better part of a decade now. BBM is only relevant because blackberry's still dont use a proper chat based text system, they've tried but it is not as usable as that on other smart phones...they've been using the same BBM program with tiny updates for almost 10 years so of course BB users are going to think its amazing...its like saying having local stations on your cable or satellite is amazing...it is because if you didnt have it, you'd be like "Uhh...what do i do now on this BB?"

Blackberry would be like Treo right now if they didnt have the government and large corporate contracts...their phones in the public market have not kept them alive.

mad_eyes

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
And despite the number of apps available for the iPhone, there are several apps from the BlackBerry world that have no equal on the iPhone:

BBM. Say what you want, but none of the iPhone apps (WhatsApp, PMessenger, etc) come close. Period.

BerryWeather. There are many nice weather apps on the iPhone, but nothing with the sheer beauty and functionality of BerryWeather.

SocialScope. This is still, by far, the best mobile Twitter app known to mankind. I am a very happy Osfoora user on my iPhone, but again, NO CONTEST.

Email. BlackBerry earned it's reputation on email... On the iPhone, it's almost manageable.

Finally, not an app, per se... more a basic integrated feature... but the iPhone notification system sucks bilge water, especially when compared to the BlackBerry system. 'nuff said.

I love my iPhone - glad I made the switch from the world of BlackBerry, but there are still some items that have me longing for the BB.

agree with everything u said above.

to the OP:
i'm about to switch myself from a 9700. however, i plan to be switching between both phones.

i guess my question to u is how much do u email/message? i guarantee u will be able to bust out messages faster on BB than iphone, so if u get 50+ emails a day maybe iphone will slow u down.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
agree with everything u said above.

to the OP:
i'm about to switch myself from a 9700. however, i plan to be switching between both phones.

i guess my question to u is how much do u email/message? i guarantee u will be able to bust out messages faster on BB than iphone, so if u get 50+ emails a day maybe iphone will slow u down.

Messaging is faster on my iPhone...i can honestly type faster on it than the physical keyboard of my BB.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
to the OP:

There are two concerns for "switching between" the iPhone and a non-iPhone:

1. The iPhone uses a micro-SIM; most other phones (including BlackBerry devices) do not. You would need an adapter to accomplish this switch.
  2. Last I heard, AT&T no longer supported adding the BlackBerry data option on non-BlackBerry device accounts... meaning that using data MAY cause you billing issues. Since BlackBerry devices require BB data plans for all BB native app data use, much of that may not work if you have an iPhone data plan...
You should probably investigate this further... as AT&T is good about changing stuff up pretty much in a vacuum.

sg01

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I was also a blackberry user and really loved my bb. I can say that I was an advanced bb user. The iphone 4 really intrigued me and I decided to make the move. I was quite hesitant as I was not sure if I can live with a touchscreen phone.

Touchscreen is great! The phone is very responsive and has never given me a the hourglass icon. Web browsing and youtube videos are better on the iphone. Bigger screen too.

The downside of the iphone for me is the battery life and it eats up a lot of data. I'm glad I changed my data plan from 150mb to 6gb!

I didn't regret the move and glad that I tried it. I'm staying with my iphone for a while.

bizfox

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using BlackBerry devices for a long time, which included the original 8330, 8530, the Bold line and then the Torch. They all delivered well in the email/messaging and notifications area. After changing over to the iPhone 4, the only thing I missed was the flashing red light and repeating alerts. However, I soon became used to the iPhone's overall OS and have no issues whatsoever typing even longer emails (I used to own a Motorola Droid as well... so the touchscreen typing is nothing new, aside from a smoother browsing experience on the IP lol). I guess my only other concern is my current device feels a bit more fragile with the two glass surfaces (used to just throwing my regular BBs in my purse haha), but I can always encase it in an OB Defender if the need ever arises.

Would I ever go back to a BB? Maybe... when RIM updates their handsets to more modern specifications, but I will certainly avoid using a slider (Torch was too wobbly to begin with, and I went through two exchanges prior to moving over to the iPhone). Oh yea, and no more battery pulls! hehe

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner