A small experiment.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. I'm hoping you might help me figure out whether or not what I'm experiencing is normal. On my iP4, if I 1) Press and hold the .?123 key, and 2) Slide to the period key without lifting my finger, I can stay on the period without ever bringing up the extended choices?in other words, the "..." never shows. It only shows if i choose the second keyboard, lift my finger, and THEN choose the "." This is the opposite behavior of my old 3G, so I'm wondering if it's normal.

I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but there is a big difference; the old method would return me to the standard keyboard when I lifted my finger. Now
I have to manually move from one to the other.

Anyway: would someone mind testing the behavior on their own iP4? FWIW, I'm on 4.0.1. Many thanks!

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
the "hold and slide" function is added for faster punctuation selection.

this is normal its kinda hard to determine where your holding you finger twice (hope that makes sense) since the UI "thinks" that your just holding it over the period while you search the keyboard for the punctuation that you really want

so in short yes this is normal even if not completely convenient.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm not getting the described behavior. If I tap and hold the ".?123" button slide to the "." and hold I get the "..." and when I release I go back to the first keyboard type.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
the "hold and slide" function is added for faster punctuation selection.

this is normal its kinda hard to determine where your holding you finger twice (hope that makes sense) since the UI "thinks" that your just holding it over the period while you search the keyboard for the punctuation that you really want

so in short yes this is normal even if not completely convenient.

But as it works right now, it's causing slower selection, because I have to manually choose each keyboard to use an ellipse, then manually switch back to the letter keyboard. And again, on my 3G the behavior is the opposite, so I know it's possible from a UI perspective.

big9erfan said:
I'm not getting the described behavior. If I tap and hold the ".?123" button slide to the "." and hold I get the "..." and when I release I go back to the first keyboard type.

That's exactly what I want...it's odd but I've discovered I can get it to happen once in a while, but only if I've recently selected an ellipse with the manual method. Can I ask what model phone and what software you're using?

Thanks for the help, all!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly what I want...it's odd but I've discovered I can get it to happen once in a while, but only if I've recently selected an ellipse with the manual method. Can I ask what model phone and what software you're using?

Thanks for the help, all!

iPhone 4(Model MC608LL), OS 4.1 (8B117)

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
So when I tap and hold the 123 button, continue to and slide to the period button the "..." does come up and after I slide to the "..." and release it automatically takes me back to the "abc" keyboard. This is working for me.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So when I tap and hold the 123 button, continue to and slide to the period button the "..." does come up and after I slide to the "..." and release it automatically takes me back to the "abc" keyboard. This is working for me.

Thanks Chobbs, I'm glad to hear it's working for some people. Wish I could figure out why it's so intermittent for me; I thought it was just a bug that was localized on my device, but I dropped by an AT&T store today and their display devices had the same trouble.

Someday I'll figure it out!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It's a neat little trick?that I did not k ow about b4?but now I think I'll use it all the rime?but I don't think it is an inteneded feature?or?is it?

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site

Same for me. Perhaps the OP doesn't have very steady hands? Because when i move my finger slightly, it doesn't want to pop up the extended options.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro