Textin

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
So today we're driving home and come up on a traffic jam on the freeway, I slow down but the car behind me doesn't! *I move to the right and the *inattentive driver finally sees that cars are stopped and he hit the brakes, hard! NO SMASH! thank God! But traffic starts moving again and I, being me, keep a close eye on the inattentive driver. HE PICS UP HIS CELL PHONE AND STARTS TEXTING!!!!! **

Was it not enough, to have narrowly avoided an accident, to get it through his dimwitted skull that texting while driving is bad! *I pulled over to the shoulder and waved him past. I don't need some twerp tweeting how he almost just got into an accident behind me.*

I have a hard time feeling love for these self centered types. Money is not the root of all evil, self-centeredness IS!!!

Please, never ever ever ever text while driving! You fellow humans will appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I54mlK0kVw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I was almost hit by someone today who was texting-she wasn't even being subtle about. Full-on head-down no attention to or care for others texting. I wailed on the horn to wake her up and scared the bejesus out of her, lol. At least she momentarily stopped texting.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
just because i hate the misquoting of this line i feel the need to state that money was never stated to be the root of all evil but the greed of money is the root of all evil

sorry had to be said

anyways i digress what i hate most is those people who say they are overly accomplished at texting and driving and insist on do it as if to prove some point but i wont ride with someone who text while they drive when i car pool to work i make sure to collect who evers driving cell phone before the car starts moving seems to work so far havent died yet i just hope that no one hits me that would really piss me off but somethings just cant be avoided i suppose

sorry for the block of text it a really long shift tonight

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Point taken

I know this is not specifically about an iPhone but felt iPhone users might want to see the vid.

Reactions: Smlk

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
its cool man at least you not spamming the forum with free iphone adds like some people and it was in good faith i dont think anyone here would discredit someone who making an effort to save lives trust me i get at least 15 people a day in the er from texting related accidents im going to direct them to that link when i can

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
just because i hate the misquoting of this line i feel the need to state that money was never stated to be the root of all evil but the greed of money is the root of all evil

sorry had to be said

anyways i digress what i hate most is those people who say they are overly accomplished at texting and driving and insist on do it as if to prove some point but i wont ride with someone who text while they drive when i car pool to work i make sure to collect who evers driving cell phone before the car starts moving seems to work so far havent died yet i just hope that no one hits me that would really piss me off but somethings just cant be avoided i suppose

sorry for the block of text it a really long shift tonight

1) Punctuation marks are your friend.

2) No better way to be an annoying ass then to demand a driver's cell phone when you get into a car. Talk about over-reacting.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Did you even watch the video? When slyfi carpools to work, they carpool to the ER where they deal with at least 15 texting accidents per day! In their situation, this is definitely not an over reaction.

I accuse you, sir, of underreacting. This is a serious problem and you reaction is "quotations are your friend"?

Reactions: Smlk

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Did you even watch the video? When slyfi carpools to work, they carpool to the ER where they deal with at least 15 texting accidents per day! In their situation, this is definitely not an over reaction.

I accuse you, sir, of underreacting. This is a serious problem and you reaction is "quotations are your friend"?

the quote should read "punctuation is your friend".

In no way am I defending texting while driving, but that poster's demands of a driver's cell phone before any sign of their attempt at texting while driving is absolutely overreacting.

I'm a grown ass man and am responsible for myself. If a passenger got into my car demanding my cell phone because of the idea that I may attempt to text while driving, they would get laughed at and would be looking for a different ride to where they were going.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
we all have an agreement these are all my friends and my co workers when its my week to drive i give my cell phone to the passenger and when im the passenger he gives his cell phone to me... but at no point will i ever drive with someone who texts if im buy my self my phone goes in the back seat...

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
That has to be a joke. If you really have that little self control to not be distracted by your phone while driving, you shouldn't be behind a wheel. Period.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
What's wrong with texting and driving? It all depends on the situation. If I am in heavy traffic, I don't text. If am driving 3 hours to another town and am on a stretch of road that has no cars, why not text? Even if I am in the city driving around and it's late and I have plenty of space.......why not text? It's not a big deal.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
What's wrong with texting and driving? It all depends on the situation. If I am in heavy traffic, I don't text. If am driving 3 hours to another town and am on a stretch of road that has no cars, why not text? Even if I am in the city driving around and it's late and I have plenty of space.......why not text? It's not a big deal.

Ditto, I do all the time as long as I'm not in traffic. Anything longer than a few words waits until I'm at a stop though.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Punctuation or quotations is not the point. Who cares?

The point is that people don't seem to think that thus is a problem yet when an ER employee comes up with a (in your opinion) extreme solution, your up in arms ready to defend. But when someone talks about texting while driving I hear no objection accept that "punctuation or quotations or whatever is your friend". Where is your outrage at people getting killed because of this self centered carelessness? Grown man means nothing when grown men are running around putting peoples lives in danger to tweet. Perhaps, because grown men can't control their urge to text we will have to take extreme measures to prevent this.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps, because grown men can't control their urge to text we will have to take extreme measures to prevent this.

Its this exact overly sensitive, helicopter parent attitude that has taken all common sense from people today. No matter how hard you try, you can't make decisions for everyone every time there's a decision to make. You can't force your beliefs and ideals on someone else even if you feel in your heart of hearts that you know better than they do. You can't force fat people to eat apples instead of another snickers bar. You can't force smokers to quit smoking. In the end, you have to give them the tools to make wise decisions and leave it up to them.

Is texting and driving in any circumstance a ridiculous practice? Absolutely. But equally ridiculous is employing such measures as Slyfi, trying to regulate all risk out of their life. If you're in a car with someone who is fiddling with their phone while driving, absolutely take it from them. DO NOT, however, preemptively take it because the possibility that they might start texting exists.

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
true I cannot force my common sense onto other people not matter how hard I try. and I think that your way off base when you say that my reaction is overly sensitive. this is a practice that has seriouse and permenant consequenses for unsuspecting, innocent bystanders. we are being forced into a situation that can end our and our loved ones lives just because someone wants to tweet while driving. I post this to try and raise awareness of the practice. i can guarantee that if people do not stop doing this that it will be regulated and you will have to live with that regulation, knowing that it isn't an over reaction, it is an appropriate reaction to the bad apples that refuse to take other peoples lives into consideration when they're deiciding to risk texting while driving. so instead of correcting someones punctuation. how about adding your voice to the protest of this action and prevent yet another of your freedoms being taken from you because of self centered, careless people.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro