Textin

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I had the pleasure of driving in korea when stationed there 10 years ago...if you can drive PERIOD in korea, you could do cartwheels while driving here in the states.

See. Someone that has experience in a foreign country where drivers are lunatics. I do have a question chobbs, have you ever driven in a foreign country outside of Canada or Mexico?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Yes! I have driven in turkey Italy England and Germany. I have driven big trucks, fork trucks, golf carts and I've owned and ridden two motorcycles. Along with the camaro that I am currently driving. My driving experience is extensive.

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes! I have driven in turkey Italy England and Germany. I have driven big rigs fork trucks golf carts and I've owned and ridden two motorcycles. Along with the camaro that I am currently driving. My driving experience is extensive.

Bam! Well played.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It's a funny thing about internet discussions, tone cannot be deducted from them...you see an out of control burst, i see myself laughing at some random guy as i call him out on a silly comment he made before. Interesting how this whole anti-social internet works.

When im at work, its easy to stay calm when someone cuts me off...i turn the light bar on and they get a ticket. When someone see's said light bar though, they typically refrain from cutting me off.

Like i said in the PM, you stand a much greater chance of getting into a fatal accident if you drive a car...so in your case, it is prob best to leave the car at home and take the bus! It's all relevant, you just seem to mistake opinion for fact.

And on that note...too much time spent already, done and done.

So how do you handle it when the playing field is even? True it Is hard to discern tone on an Internet discussion wall. I do not think I am the only one that has "misinterpreted" your tone. I'll re read your posts while listening to a happy song perhaps then I'll discern your true intent???

In any case. Please don't text and drive. It is an unsafe practice.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have one last thing. People may have been offended and tempers may have flared. But in the end a debate causes it's participants to either find better ways to defend their position or change their position all together. I've even done some additional research to defend my positions and have learned quite a bit. So I thank the ones that have forced me into defend mode and motivated me to learn more.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My last thought on this topic is that its natural for us as humans to believe we can do more than we can. We believe that we can be a fully functioning, responsible driver while texting. We beleive that we can have four beers at dinner and still drive completely unimpaired.

Eariler in this thread, others have stated that comparing texting while driving to drunk driving is asinine, but I don't think that it really is. In both cases, you are intentionally adding unnecessary risk to driving a car. In both cases, the driver thinks their skill is good enough to overcome the distraction that they've added. In both cases, the driver is proven right many times... BUT, its those few times when they are proven wrong that cause themselves and others to suffer the dire consequences.

There is no excuse for texting while driving because there are countless alternatives. We are all on here because we have an iPhone. There are so many ways to use that phone for hands free communication that there is no reason to grab a phone and start texting on the road.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Cruise control - Cruise Control and How They Cause Driving Accidents

Navigation - Sat-nav systems 'potentially dangerous' - Telegraph

Pets - Study: Driving under influence of pets a danger - Chicago Breaking News

Crack - How drugs affect driving: TheSite.org

...I could go all day finding legit studies and silly studies, but if you notice, the common denominator in all of them (including the texting) Is inattentiveness...the stimuli is really a moot point, as attentiveness varies from person to person, scenario to scenario...you could be on an open stretch of highway texting and be far safer than someone on a back road adjusting the air conditioner...you could be texting in heavy traffic and be more dangerous than someone who just did a line of cocaine and grabbed the keys...

The bottom line is attention...focus...those of you with a hard on for preaching anti texting mumbo jumbo are so focused on this that you fail to see the real issue...your abilities dictate your actions, and to stereotype everyone into a lump, saying everyone is dangerous when they text and drive is like me saying you will get cancer from using your iPhone...

It's a "could" scenario, not a "will" scenario...driving while drunk is a scenario where regardless of how little or great you pay attention, you're still impaired dangerously...in the scenario of texting, you're not impaired, you are distracted...your mind is still perfectly capable of detaching from the text messaging...where as when you're drunk, you are not in control of what had impaired you...thus, the comparison is apples and oranges, there's no equal ground because it's a matter of controlled distraction vs out of control impairment.

Yesterday emotional stupidity gained control of my responses, and I let a sucker punch get the best of my retort, today I maintain my stance, the comparison is silly, can texting while driving be dangerous? Yes...but so can walking to the car, fueling the car, changing the radio, etc...and at one point or another, every technological feature we use today came under scrutiny for it's dangers when involving driving...cell phones themselves have been proven fatal while driving even while using hands free devices...this text stuff is an easy target because it involves kids and idiots, of which I'm guessing most of the examples of texting dangers involved...

Attentiveness, not texting, is the culperate...and because of this, each persons own attentiveness can dictate whether or not texting while driving is safe or dangerous...not a couple of peoples stereotype that everyone drives on the same level, therefore experiencing stigmas exactly the same while doing so.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I hear what you're saying. Its obvious that you believe that you are capable of doing it. Fine. Go ahead. You keep mentioning all the other types of distractions to drivers, but what I don't understand is why you would intentionally add another one. You have the choice to text while driving, so by all means exercise that choice. Just understand that there are repercussions for all the choices we make.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I hear what you're saying. Its obvious that you believe that you are capable of doing it. Fine. Go ahead. You keep mentioning all the other types of distractions to drivers, but what I don't understand is why you would intentionally add another one. You have the choice to text while driving, so by all means exercise that choice. Just understand that there are repercussions for all the choices we make.

What if the person is not adding another distraction, but rather trading one for the other? I'm not going to defend the practice of texting while driving anymore then I would drinking and driving. What I will defend is peoples right to have their own opinions and make their own decisions. I see people who flat out can not drive all the time and almost none of those people are even talking on a phone let alone texting. As for myself I try to avoid texting in the car and when I do I try to do it at a light but that's just me, I am not going to try and force my feelings on someone else which is what you seem to be doing.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
What if the person is not adding another distraction, but rather trading one for the other? I'm not going to defend the practice of texting while driving anymore then I would drinking and driving. What I will defend is peoples right to have their own opinions and make their own decisions. I see people who flat out can not drive all the time and almost none of those people are even talking on a phone let alone texting. As for myself I try to avoid texting in the car and when I do I try to do it at a light but that's just me, I am not going to try and force my feelings on someone else which is what you seem to be doing.

I completely agree with you there. We are all free to make our own decisions. I even made that argument early on in this thread, where I questioned another poster's practice of demanding a driver's cell phone when they get in a car so that they can't text and drive.

I don't know if you mistook me for another poster, but you will never find me trying to force my ideals/beliefs on anyone.

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I agree that one can return their attention to the road and at that point they are not at all like a drunk driver. As I've stated before, though, while texting the reaction time is as bad as a drunk drivers. So yes the comparison is accurate but only during the time the offender is actually texting.

And will say one more time. There is nothing that has to be text right away! It all can wait till there is a safer time to divert your attention (not driving).

Yes inattentiveness is the culprit. I have never disputed that point. But if you look at the statistics texting requires more time over all than does changing the radio and chatting on the phone. The average time spent on a text is around five seconds, and at 70 that is about the length of a football field that your 3000lb vehicle has traveled on it's own! I am only addressing the one issue because it is one that I have personally noticed causing the most havoc in my commute. There are also studies that show that if drivers weren't texting they would replace that time with another bad distraction. Why can't people just focus? I don't know. I know I enjoy driving with no distractions. My brain does not
have to constantly be distracted. I do not get bored with quiet.

So I too stand by my initial stance. It is never a good idea to text and drive and everyones reaction times are worse during texting than when they are paying attention.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My argument remains that while yes, it is reduced while texting, a person can still maintain safe control over their car while doing so...not everyone obviously, some can't even drive to begin with.

Initially you guys were behind the idea that texting while driving makes any person who does it a bad driver...now you're saying that it simply affects your ability and it CAN result in an accident...I never argued that, the proof is black and white that it potentially CAN be a dangerous thing to do...but in that, there are people who can do it and maintain a safe control of their vehicle, just like there are some people who can speed and maintain the same or better control of the vehicle.

It can't be asserted to "everyone" because every persons ability, reaction time, focus, attentiveness and knowledge of condition is different...

Basically, yes, texting can be dangerous...but it can also be completely harmless...whether or not a person is capable is not a universal yes or no...nor should the assumption that every person is out of control of their car while texting...when my 3,000 pound missle is at 70mph and I'm texting, it is still under safe control.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Also, if you're thoughts are that a person is distracted in the same amount as a drunk is while texting, why not say that? That's alot different than simply saying "texting while driving is as bad and as dangerous as being a drunk driver", which is what you guys said earlier, and that is what I labeled as asinine.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I did say that in a later post.

I also asserted at the beginning that any one who decides to text while driving is making a bad choice. There is no reason to ever have to do that.

While everyones level are different it CAN be stated the everyones attentiveness suffers during the texting
Process.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73