If you don't like this thread, by all means bypass it. No one is forcing you to read it. I am not in your face so chill out. You don't know how I drive. Butsince your interested I'll tell you. I don't listen to the radio because I like to hear the engine. I don't talk to my passengers because I don't want to be distracted and I definitly do not text and drive nor do I talk on the phone and drive. I also do not keep my hands at 10 and 2 100% of the time because it's a manual. And I do not go more than 3 miles over the speed limit. All of these practices I do come from experience. When I was 16 I drove like you. But now I know better and I care about my fellow humans. I do not try and save the world I just wanted to share my experience and you are welcome to ignore it as I'll ignore your insults
    09-22-2010 07:07 PM
    So they say if people aren't texting they are doing some other bad habit. This article did discount the dangers of texting while driving.
    09-22-2010 07:16 PM
    You've never been ABLE to drive like me bud, i assure you of that...so dont go comparing my driving ability to a 16 year olds, im in my 30's, ive had more driving training than you could ever imagine, forgive me for being able to drive a car beyond your own ability while doing other things, im sorry you're incapable of doing the same.

And do you want a cookie for being captain drive safe? Pfft...give me a break sweetheart, you sound like a fool on a high horse now, and its hilarious.

As far as bypassing the thread, why would i do that? I am interested in the subject matter...especially how ridiculously asinine some of your comparison's are...you're coming across as a very sheltered individual...have you ever seen a drunk driver before? Scraped one off the pavement? I have...do i want a cookie and a thumbs up for it? Hell no, it was awful...and in that, do i agree that texting while driving CAN be dangerous? I absolutely do, especially for people who cant drive in the first place...but to compare a drunk driver to one texting just shows your lack of legitimate deduction...you place a person (drunk) who is 100% impaired while driving and you say that it exactly the same as a person who is texting who MIGHT be impaired...

You're bull headed opinion has taken over your logic buddy, and then you assume things, like your ability to drive better than another person because you dont make certain choices like texting, speeding, radio, distractions...when i guarantee you that i could text with one hand, eat a burger with the other hand and steer with my knee and still drive at a higher level than yourself, because i have been trained and get paid very well to do so...are all people who text and drive in this boat? Absolutely not, but in that, who are you to prejudge and assume they are/are not capable of driving just as well/safely as you while distractions exist?

Your whole argument resides in the fact that you feel you are the perfect driver and what YOU feel is unsafe applies to everyone in the world, and if YOU cant/dont do it, then nobody else in the world should either (if they want to be as saintly as you behind the wheel).

Come down off the cloud and back to the real world where your choices dont amount to a hill of beans, just like the rest of us...and respect the fact that other people outside your little bubble can do things you're incapable of doing in a state of safety and security that you find when you refrain from doing those same things.
    09-22-2010 07:41 PM
    Your not on subject pm me if you want to try and belittle me. Im staying focused on the subject of the thread. Texting while driving is a bad idea.
    09-22-2010 07:48 PM
    For someone who can't do it...

And the belittling started in your corner big guy...i was completely on topic and only asserted labels on the ideas and opinions in the thread, not the people, YOU started that up. You and your mouth make it really easy to tear apart though, just FYI...
    09-22-2010 07:57 PM
    In an effort to refrain from arguing with a person who accepts nothing but his own choices as fact (as is apparently all that can happen when discussing anything like this with you)...i'll leave the thread by saying this...can texting while driving be dangerous? Absolutely...can it also be perfectly safe? Absolutely. Depends on your own abilities...maybe its too much for some.
    09-22-2010 08:11 PM
    If your so sure go get tested and I'll guarantee that your reaction times will be worse than when your paying attention. I'm sure your an accomplished driver, you also seem to have out bursts that you don't have much control over. How on earth do you stay calm when someone cuts you off?
    09-22-2010 08:27 PM
    I do think that an experienced adult is more cognitive in their ability to text and drive than someone perhaps 20 and under. There are always exceptions to this statement of course, as proven everyday.

In the end, drive defensively and be attentive to your surroundings. If you think texting and driving is dangerous, try driving in South America. Lima, Peru specifically.

On a side note, I didn't notice until now that I have crossed 1,000 posts. Woot!
    Last edited by ghostface147; 09-22-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    09-22-2010 08:33 PM
    It's a funny thing about internet discussions, tone cannot be deducted from them...you see an out of control burst, i see myself laughing at some random guy as i call him out on a silly comment he made before. Interesting how this whole anti-social internet works.

When im at work, its easy to stay calm when someone cuts me off...i turn the light bar on and they get a ticket. When someone see's said light bar though, they typically refrain from cutting me off.

Like i said in the PM, you stand a much greater chance of getting into a fatal accident if you drive a car...so in your case, it is prob best to leave the car at home and take the bus! It's all relevant, you just seem to mistake opinion for fact.

And on that note...too much time spent already, done and done.
    09-22-2010 08:35 PM
    In the end, drive defensively and be attentive to your surroundings. If you think texting and driving is dangerous, try driving in South America. Lima, Peru specifically.
    I had the pleasure of driving in korea when stationed there 10 years ago...if you can drive PERIOD in korea, you could do cartwheels while driving here in the states.
    09-22-2010 08:37 PM
    I had the pleasure of driving in korea when stationed there 10 years ago...if you can drive PERIOD in korea, you could do cartwheels while driving here in the states.
    See. Someone that has experience in a foreign country where drivers are lunatics. I do have a question chobbs, have you ever driven in a foreign country outside of Canada or Mexico?
    09-22-2010 08:42 PM
    Yes! I have driven in turkey Italy England and Germany. I have driven big trucks, fork trucks, golf carts and I've owned and ridden two motorcycles. Along with the camaro that I am currently driving. My driving experience is extensive.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 09-22-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Big rigs sounded silly
    09-22-2010 08:47 PM
    I have tdruve home now so see ya!
    09-22-2010 08:47 PM
    Yes! I have driven in turkey Italy England and Germany. I have driven big rigs fork trucks golf carts and I've owned and ridden two motorcycles. Along with the camaro that I am currently driving. My driving experience is extensive.
    Bam! Well played.
    09-22-2010 08:59 PM
    It's a funny thing about internet discussions, tone cannot be deducted from them...you see an out of control burst, i see myself laughing at some random guy as i call him out on a silly comment he made before. Interesting how this whole anti-social internet works.

When im at work, its easy to stay calm when someone cuts me off...i turn the light bar on and they get a ticket. When someone see's said light bar though, they typically refrain from cutting me off.

Like i said in the PM, you stand a much greater chance of getting into a fatal accident if you drive a car...so in your case, it is prob best to leave the car at home and take the bus! It's all relevant, you just seem to mistake opinion for fact.

And on that note...too much time spent already, done and done.
    So how do you handle it when the playing field is even? True it Is hard to discern tone on an Internet discussion wall. I do not think I am the only one that has "misinterpreted" your tone. I'll re read your posts while listening to a happy song perhaps then I'll discern your true intent???

In any case. Please don't text and drive. It is an unsafe practice.
    09-22-2010 09:27 PM
    And so it is
    09-22-2010 09:50 PM
    I have one last thing. People may have been offended and tempers may have flared. But in the end a debate causes it's participants to either find better ways to defend their position or change their position all together. I've even done some additional research to defend my positions and have learned quite a bit. So I thank the ones that have forced me into defend mode and motivated me to learn more.
    09-22-2010 10:20 PM
    09-22-2010 10:46 PM
    Good info. Can't believe some of this statistics.
    09-22-2010 11:16 PM
    My last thought on this topic is that its natural for us as humans to believe we can do more than we can. We believe that we can be a fully functioning, responsible driver while texting. We beleive that we can have four beers at dinner and still drive completely unimpaired.

Eariler in this thread, others have stated that comparing texting while driving to drunk driving is asinine, but I don't think that it really is. In both cases, you are intentionally adding unnecessary risk to driving a car. In both cases, the driver thinks their skill is good enough to overcome the distraction that they've added. In both cases, the driver is proven right many times... BUT, its those few times when they are proven wrong that cause themselves and others to suffer the dire consequences.

There is no excuse for texting while driving because there are countless alternatives. We are all on here because we have an iPhone. There are so many ways to use that phone for hands free communication that there is no reason to grab a phone and start texting on the road.
    09-23-2010 08:53 AM
    09-23-2010 08:56 AM
    Cruise control - Cruise Control and How They Cause Driving Accidents

Navigation - Sat-nav systems 'potentially dangerous' - Telegraph

Pets - Study: Driving under influence of pets a danger - Chicago Breaking News

Crack - How drugs affect driving: TheSite.org

...I could go all day finding legit studies and silly studies, but if you notice, the common denominator in all of them (including the texting) Is inattentiveness...the stimuli is really a moot point, as attentiveness varies from person to person, scenario to scenario...you could be on an open stretch of highway texting and be far safer than someone on a back road adjusting the air conditioner...you could be texting in heavy traffic and be more dangerous than someone who just did a line of cocaine and grabbed the keys...

The bottom line is attention...focus...those of you with a hard on for preaching anti texting mumbo jumbo are so focused on this that you fail to see the real issue...your abilities dictate your actions, and to stereotype everyone into a lump, saying everyone is dangerous when they text and drive is like me saying you will get cancer from using your iPhone...

It's a "could" scenario, not a "will" scenario...driving while drunk is a scenario where regardless of how little or great you pay attention, you're still impaired dangerously...in the scenario of texting, you're not impaired, you are distracted...your mind is still perfectly capable of detaching from the text messaging...where as when you're drunk, you are not in control of what had impaired you...thus, the comparison is apples and oranges, there's no equal ground because it's a matter of controlled distraction vs out of control impairment.

Yesterday emotional stupidity gained control of my responses, and I let a sucker punch get the best of my retort, today I maintain my stance, the comparison is silly, can texting while driving be dangerous? Yes...but so can walking to the car, fueling the car, changing the radio, etc...and at one point or another, every technological feature we use today came under scrutiny for it's dangers when involving driving...cell phones themselves have been proven fatal while driving even while using hands free devices...this text stuff is an easy target because it involves kids and idiots, of which I'm guessing most of the examples of texting dangers involved...

Attentiveness, not texting, is the culperate...and because of this, each persons own attentiveness can dictate whether or not texting while driving is safe or dangerous...not a couple of peoples stereotype that everyone drives on the same level, therefore experiencing stigmas exactly the same while doing so.
    09-23-2010 10:29 AM
    I hear what you're saying. Its obvious that you believe that you are capable of doing it. Fine. Go ahead. You keep mentioning all the other types of distractions to drivers, but what I don't understand is why you would intentionally add another one. You have the choice to text while driving, so by all means exercise that choice. Just understand that there are repercussions for all the choices we make.
    09-23-2010 12:50 PM
    I hear what you're saying. Its obvious that you believe that you are capable of doing it. Fine. Go ahead. You keep mentioning all the other types of distractions to drivers, but what I don't understand is why you would intentionally add another one. You have the choice to text while driving, so by all means exercise that choice. Just understand that there are repercussions for all the choices we make.
    What if the person is not adding another distraction, but rather trading one for the other? I'm not going to defend the practice of texting while driving anymore then I would drinking and driving. What I will defend is peoples right to have their own opinions and make their own decisions. I see people who flat out can not drive all the time and almost none of those people are even talking on a phone let alone texting. As for myself I try to avoid texting in the car and when I do I try to do it at a light but that's just me, I am not going to try and force my feelings on someone else which is what you seem to be doing.
    09-23-2010 01:05 PM
    More fuel...

Did Dr. Frank Ryan Die Because He Was Tweeting? - The Early Show - CBS News

What a waste! At least, thank GOD, he didn't take anyone else out with him!
    09-23-2010 01:14 PM
101 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD